DSC 5010 Communication Problem

I did a takeover today on a 5010. It is a brand new unit, version 2.0 and I have the appropriate software, however, I can connect, but the panel does not send data and the connection aborts. Tech Support thinks its a noisy phone line, but it sounds perfectly clear to me. It is also a fully dedicated pots line just for the alarm system. Any ideas?

Reply to
Allan Waghalter
Loading thread data ...

Allan, that seems to be DSC's standard answer. I really don't think they know why this is happening .

I have been experiencing the same thing much more often lately, and I can't figure it out either. I do believe it is either because I may not have the latest software drivers, or because I'm communicating on a line with too much else on it. I found when I switched to my dedicated fax line and off the previous line with half a dozen phones on it, the problem largely went away, but not totally...

I can't say for sure, but it seems connecting with their panels and not being kicked off because the panel and modem can't handshake, seems to be dependant on a VERY clean line with little else on it. Try making sure the line is free of any other connecting points or telephones...

That's all I can figure out. And my partner company who uses only DSC panels sees the same thing, so I know it's not just me...

RHC

I choose Polesoft Lockspam to fight spam, and you?

formatting link

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

I had that problem a while back, and found that I had a bad modem cable. js

Reply to
alarman

Did you put a butt set on the line and listen to it trying to connect?

Reply to
mikey

Allan,

I don't know if it's related but I had a strange problem with a DSC system several years ago. After installing it I connected the panel to my laptop and downloaded a program. The panel fiunctioned OK but could not complete a test signal to the CS. After messing with it for a while, double checking my programming, etc., I finally unplugged the PC-Link cable and armed it for the night. The closing signal went through immediately.

I later discovered what the problem was. The panel couldn't transmit successfully with the PC connected to the serial port. This was a Maxsys -- not a 5010 -- and I don't even know if the problem still exists on more recent releases. If you had the PC connected during the test, try disconnecting it. You might be alright.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Here's the scoop! I can create a new account in DLS2005 and can do a total upload. I programmed each section and downloaded one at a time. That worked. I could read status, and program anything I wanted. I have the panel set up like I want it. However, upon exit and then re-entry trying to download the download phone number that I simply retyped, it goes back to the same problem. After connecting and once the download commences, the message comes bck that the panel has stopped responding. The receive light on the DSC modem ceases to blink and the status bar goes yellow and disconnects.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

put in an GE NX system

Reply to
Chub

Personal choice is Napco! Does what it says it will do, simple to work, seldom a problem, extremely good tech support (even for New Yorkers) and their software works!

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Only thing I've noticed about Napco panels (Gemini panels) that's strange, if you power the panel from the battery first and begin testing without applying AC the system won't accept new user codes... After applying AC and waiting 5 to 10 minutes, the problem goes away....

Reply to
Russell Brill

You are not supposed to power a Napco panel from the battery first. Instructions are to apply AC first. Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Allan,

I knew there was a reason Napco included a manual with the panel :-))

Regards, Russ

Reply to
Russell Brill

That's why they suck when you loose power.... With a real control panel.....it doesn't matter, nor should it.

Reply to
Jackcsg

Jack,

What are you going to do when DMP moves their factory to Mexico???

:-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

I think the instructions say to connect AC first. I've always done it that way. Never experienced the problem you speak of.

Reply to
Jim

That's because you've always followed the installation directions... My power up mistake was do to arrogance, I didn't think it was that critical... I was WRONG, I will follow the proper power up procedures from now on....

Reply to
Russell Brill

Russ....lay off the sauce. That will never happen....

Reply to
Jackcsg

Never is a Long, Long, Long time......... I can see the DMP ads now, "Who do you El Trusto".......... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Actually, the new 500 can be programmed in Spanglish. Spanish to the user, English for the installer, and vise versa. Regardless of where it will be made...it will probably continue to be backward/forward compatible.

Reply to
Jackcsg

I tend to agree, they aren't subject to the same price pressures of the other manufacturers

Reply to
Mark Leuck

IMO, market forces have less to do with a company's decision to move manufacturing out of the country than do the profit motives of CEO's. We'll see. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.