TL-150 general supervisory errors?

Recently installed a TL-150 (IP module) on a DSC PC5010 and while it transmits codes properly, we're getting recurring General System Supervisory troubles that seem to happen on the hour. Might skip an hour or two but if it happens, it's always on the hour. Network supervision is not enabled. Things we've tried so far:

Power cycling the TL-150 Changing the test frequency (currently set to 99 i.e. ~24 hours) Assigning a fixed IP address Making sure port 3061 is open on the router Disabled provisioning on the router

Nothing has helped. Another weird scenario is that when you log onto the TL-150 while in trouble, and look at the status, it displays zones as being open that are not assigned or defined i.e. zones above what are enabled e.g. 18, 24 (when only 16 zones exist). I've checked programming and Zone assignment and definitions are definitely not setup for either partition...fwiw it's not even a partitioned system.

I've called tech support and they think it's the router resetting the IP address but enabling a router log shows nothing odd. I feel it's gotta be panel related as the Supervisory trouble always happens exactly on the hour. The router has no internal clock and it's too coincidental that the panel and router would be in perfect synch time wise.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Reg Siemens Tower Security Systems Inc.

Reply to
Tower Security
Loading thread data ...

We wound up with a similar problem on a 5010. It stopped when we upgraded to a 5020. Go figure.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reg, I would power cycle the panel, and then do a supervision reset (*8

902).
Reply to
alarman

We tried that and made the call to tech support too. I can only surmise there was a problem with the common control. I have another 5010 that refuses to answer the phone (POTS line), yet I can download it fine via PC link. It hasn't missed a test signal and has worked flawlessly for four years. We're swapping that out with an 1864 as well.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Here's a bit of an update on what we've done...

DSC tech support felt it was the router so to test that theory we put in a plain switch behind the cable modem and split the signal to the TL-150 and the router - effectively putting the TL-150 in front of the router and we've experienced no supervisory troubles since. So while we've determined that the router is indeed the cause, in its current configuration FWIW there is the concern of the login interface being exposed to the internet...

BTW, the above work-around will only work if your service provider will grant you at least two IP addresses.

Reply to
Tower Security

Did you try configuring the TLink in the router DMZ?

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

He'd still have the same potential hack issues from the outside, in the end it's no different doing that than what he has now.

Reply to
mleuck

True, but it would eliminate the need to purchase a switch and a high- speed plan that grants multiple IPs. Only thing I wonder about is that if the problem stems from the router idling or refreshing the ethernet service, which in turn causes the supervisory fault on the TL-150, it might do the same on the port setup as DMZ. Worth a try though in the future.

As a further update, my customer installed an Apple router in place of the Cisco (which appears to have been causing the supervisory faults) and at this point the TL-150 is happy and it's also resolved the log- in exposure.

Reply to
Tower Security

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.