Do YOU ACTUALLY Own Your Equipment??

It depends on the weather on that particular day. There's no logic to how they make that decision. Recently I overhauled the burglar and fire alarm systems that were in a day care center that had been closed for 8 years. An ADT saleperson came by every week to annoy her while she was trying to get the place ready to open and he informed here it was their systems and they would come pick up the equipment... an old brown Nexus panel made by Moose products - actually one heck of a good panel with a fantastic siren driver built in - if she didn't sign a new contract with them. I took the panel off the wall and left it sitting there on the floor and sure enough a week later they came and got it. Down at their office there are a couple hundred of those panels piled up in the parking lot waiting to be hauled off so you know it was real important to make a trip 45 miles to get another one.

Reply to
<thesatguy1
Loading thread data ...

Well I can help you out with some of them.

Three main causes of false alarms by PIR's.

1. PIR made by Raytek.
  2. PIR made by Omni-Spectra.
  3. PIR made by Visonic. Actaully there are four reasons... #4 PIR is aimed at window or 'sees' heat source via window.

What is NEC? Nippon Electric Corporation.

What is NICET? Nice Tshirt.

What is a duct derector used for? To detect AFLAK.

What is vital to be placed at the end of a four wire fire circuit? Lots of black electrical tape.

Reply to
<thesatguy1

Yep....being an installer is so great...that's why one of the dumb asses I worked with in Port St. Lucie decided to become a "little prick salesman".

He installed for many years before "seeing the light", and a much better paycheck.

Reply to
Sonicduck

And having been an installer, he's probably a much better salesman for it.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

HA !!

Duct detector...excellent.

| > I'd love to just know the some (if not all) the answers to Stanley's | > second paragraph!!! LOL | >

| > Tom | >

| | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

ADT Core Commercial and Small Business installers in the St. Louis SSO are IBEW Local #1 union installers and service techs, and with 4 yrs experience, a Lead Technician makes a little over $23/hr plus benefits. With benefits, that equals about $32/hr. Not bad. And they don't have to lie to customers to get them to sign agreements... In any case, it's a career choice. I, for one, really enjoyed my days as a tech. It was a very rewarding experience, even when I was new and not making a lot.

This isn't to say that all salespeople are bad- I've met many at every company I've been associated with who were dedicated folks with a great attitude. I've been one, of course, and see how sometimes one department holds disdain for another. There are a few in every bunch... There are always some who place themselves above others, who cannot be a true team player, and who always end up leaving and trashing their former employer. I call them "useless idiots"- destined to ultimately fail in life. There is a very high turnover in sales at almost every company, and there are good reasons for that. The "Top Producers", as you claim to have been, always seem to be the ones who thrive, and stay for years and years. Why did you leave?

I would say that everyone in a company is equally important- Executive, Admin, Engineering, Service, Installation, Sales, Central Station, and the people who clean the joint at night. All of them are important pieces of the puzzle, and if any are missing or don't fit, the customer will suffer. When

1 department or person puts themselves above another the customer loses.

The worst thing one can do is trash the people or company they work with. Only a moron would associate themselves with people or companies they can't stand. On the other hand, if one has a positive attitude and is willing to be a team player, great things can be done with the right mindset. It's all in your attitude toward your co-workers and, ultimately, your customers.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

OhhhhhHhhh!! *Duct* detector... I thought he said "Duck Detector"...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Actually, a resistor restricts *voltage*, not current, but then I figure that's what you *meant* to say... ;-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Restricts the current voltage... yeah, that's the ticket.... ;-)

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Wrong. The correct answer is 26 gauge, for power-limited circuits. That's the minimum, per code.

Don't believe me? See NEC section 760-82 (and remember the NEC is published by NFPA):

760.82 Listing and Marking of PLFA Cables and Insulated Continuous Line-Type Fire Detectors

Type FPL cables installed as wiring within buildings shall be listed as being resistant to the spread of fire and other criteria in accordance with

760.82(A) through 760.82(H) and shall be marked in accordance with 760.82(I). Insulated continuous line-type fire detectors shall be listed in accordance with 760.82(J).

(A) Conductor Materials Conductors shall be solid or stranded copper.

(B) Conductor Size The size of conductors in a multiconductor cable shall not be smaller than 26 AWG. Single conductors shall not be smaller than 18 AWG.

I don't use 26 gauge myself, but it is legal. Somewhere, people have gotten the idea that all fire alarm wire has to be red, and that it must be at least 18 gauge. Neither is true.

Want to really make your local fire marshal shit green apples? The NEC says that Type CM cable is perfectly acceptable as a substitute for FPL. So the next time you see a waterflow switch wired up with three pair 24 gauge telephone cable -- it's legal!

- badenov

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

"Hey- we finally located the dumb shit who misread the spec. and endangered all those people by using 26 ga. fire wire. He's posting on alt.security.alarms"

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Restricts the current voltage... yeah, that's the ticket.... ;-)

Stanley.....sounds like you're the dumbshit here. A quality techy like you doesn't know what the hell a restrictor restricts. I used to repair circuit boards for Magnavox older than you. You don't know your butt from a hole in the ground.

Stanley....you must be a TRODLADITE !!

Reply to
Sonicduck

He'll burn out like the other assholes that blow in here from time to time. Patience, my son. js

Reply to
alarman

Maybe they used "restrictors" at Magnavox, but we use "resistors" these days.

Shouldn't Sonicduck be banned from this group by now? He/She's obviously not a nice or even reasonable person.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

Web definitions for TROGLODYTE a cave dweller.

Is this what you are attempting to call everyone?

Pure Incompetence!

Web definitions for Incompetence The state or act of being incompetent and the inability to function properly.

Reply to
Joe Lucia

It was a joke, dumbshit.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Wow... that was allot of typing Stanley!!

Thanx for providing some answers I was looking for. Dont be bothered with Sonicduck. He's not a true knowledgable salesman, just a ripoff artist. Sounds like he used to be a used car salesman... Man do I hate used car salesman... Dont get me started on that one......

Thanx again for all the info!

Tom

Reply to
BocesLib

look it up from the urban dictionary. There are a few more definitions for Trogladite, or Troglodyte, or Trogladyte...etc.

I think it's funny as hell....figure out which definition I meant...

Reply to
Sonicduck

He obviously doesn't understand "Trog" humour...

Reply to
Frank Olson

You Trogladites need to stick together...he might be doink'n your old lady...

Reply to
Sonicduck

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.