I am debating beetween getting a GE Simon 3 system or an ADT Safewatch 3000 pro RF. I tried to weight the pro and cons of each system (see below) and it looks like the Simon 3 is a winner. Am I right? Thanks in advance for any advice/comment you could give me regarding that matter.
ANALYSIS of the sistuation:
While they send me in Asia for 12 months, my company is going to pay for the installation of an alarm and the monitoring of my condo .When I come back, I do not plan to keep the proffessionnal monitoring. So I am looking to have them install a system that will allow me to monitor by myself my condo (it's1300 sq ft condo, max distance between sensor and alarm panel = 25ft). Once it has been installed, I want to easily be able to :
- maintain it,
- program it to call me in case of an intrusion and be able able to reset it with a touch phone,
- schedule X10 events (switching on lights...) .
So far, we are considering 2 possibilities for our basic setup (wireless system, 1 keypad, 2motions, 2 remote, 1 smoke, 2 door contacts):
- Go with an independent installer who will install a Simon 3 system for around $1200 and we will then subscribe to a monitoring company like nextalarm.com
- go with an ADT dealer and a Safewatch pro 3000 RF system $759 ($499 for the basic system + $95 for the extra keychain + $165 for the extra motion sensor). The girl from ADT was OK to offer a one year contract with ownership of the sytem instead of the usual 3 year
From my "limited" point of view, it seems that the Simon 3 panel fits my picture better since. It looks like it will be easier for me to :
- maintain the system
- control it over the phone and program it to call me in case of an intrusion without the need of a monitoring service,
- subscribe to a different monitoring company (not necessary ADT)
The ADT safe watch system (ADT customized vista 20P??) seems more professional and offer hardwired sensors but it also looks like :
- it will be a pain for me to mainatin or add new components (X10 switches) or choose to subscribe to another monitoring company because ADT has kind of "locked the system"
- less user friendly and more expensive to control it over the phone (I believe you also have to pay ADT an extra $180 to get the remote phone control) and configure it to call you in case of an intrusion
So, it seems to me that getting the Safewatch system would be overkill and that the Simon 3 would be a better solution, especially if I want ot have the possibility to NOT need to use a professional monitoring service but just want the system to call me or other numbers in case of an intrusion.
Am I right to choose the Simon 3 or am I missing something? : )
Thanks in advance for any piece of advice you may give me,
Bonus questions : ; )
Q2: Can the ADT dealer actually offer a 12 month monitoring service and guarantee that we will own the system after those 12 months?? I thought ADT dealer were only allowed to offer 3 year contracts.
Q3: The dealer/installer told us that they could not install any new wiring because the place we own is a condo and therefore they can only offer wireless systems. Is this correct??
Q4:The independent installer told us that they are not allowed (in Clearwater Florida) to install smoke detector in condo (but they can in town homes). The ADT dealer didn't mention any restriction regarding the installation of a smoke detector. Who is right??
Q5: The installer told me that wireless recessed door sensors are no working well with the Simon 3 system and that I should go with the regular wireless door sensor. Is this correct?
Is there also a big difference in quality between the various sensors? Any brand/model, you would recommend for motion detector or door sensors?
Q6:Any opinion about