contact window

Gotta minute? How would you guys contact this window? Gonna prewire about

50 of um. Any suggestions?
formatting link
wood double hung is the first drawing. TIA
Reply to
Don
Loading thread data ...

with 3/8" stubbies with mini screw terminals, one contact up top one down at bottom, then the use the super donut magnets. The bottom magnet will be harder since you have the seal in the way, but you could probably get it in there vertically.

They're gonna be a PITA...charge extra for this.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

drill 3/8" hole straight up on the part of the window inside the seal. hope its thicker than it looks in that drawing. The switch hole needed to match the magnet looks a little tight on the inside going out the bottom of the sill.

:(

Reply to
Don

Man, I might go surface mount with those. The bottom part with the groove and tongue leaves very little room for a recessed contact.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'd try a supermagnet first, looks like you have room to tuck one up beside the seal.

| > They're gonna be a PITA...charge extra for this. | | :( | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Maybe. But the bottom looks hard to do with surface mount, and if there is no bypass stops they'll knock off the top magnet if the open the top window past the top of the bottom one.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Where are you gonna drill the switch on the sill? Hopefully on the inside of the opening, but then the seal is in the way of the mag. I have seen installers slit the seal and put a rare-E mag inside it.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'd drill right down through the sill 1/4" away from the movable part of the window for the bottom contact.

True, never thought of that. Maybe recess on top and surface on bottom?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Security (nee: Sentrol) R1275 for the top and bottom

Yeah, it's easy because you're not the one doing the drilling. Why don't you just STFU and die already?

Quit posting binary.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Probably GRI N20RST will fit.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Looks like there's room just inside of the sill seal, which will put your magnet location in the window seal notch, maybe a vertical rare earth glued in would work.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I hate double hungs. AND,,,it says these are Tilt...who knows how that works...I don't have the patience to figure it out from the drawing.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Hell no that won't work! The bottom sill has a flange that goes up INTO the window seal channel.

May have to put it in the side track, the windows tilt so maybe possible...who knows...??

Triple time on these puppies.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Alarm screens. js

Reply to
alarman

on tilting windows?

lots of glassbreaks and pirs, do the doors, and screw the windows shut :-)

| > May have to put it in the side track, the windows tilt so maybe | > possible...who knows...?? | >

| > Triple time on these puppies. | | Alarm screens. | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

If you are going to use contacts these might work. (See attached) R1125 Series Recessed Mini-Max Stubby Press Fit Contact with Wire Leads, White, 1/2" & 7/8" Gap Size Available, 3/8" Dia.

The R1125 Series Mini-Max Contacts are Press Fit magnetic contacts with Mini-Max magnets. Switch is only 3/4" Long X 3/8" Dia.

If you might consider something besides contacts, gives these a look.

Barrier Bars Install Fast. The springloaded assembly snaps quickly into place with no

screws or drilling. And, Barrier Bars can be either surface or frame-mounted. The self-adhesive, epoxy-based switch

adheres to brick or cement surfaces, forming a strong, permanent bond. Barrier Bars fit windows or other perimeter

openings from 12 inches to over 40 inches wide. Once installed, they do not restrict window access: you can

partially open the window for ventilation without loss of protection. Or you may quickly remove the bars if needed.

Barrier Bars Give You a Choice.

The BB-1GS Pressure-Sensitive Barrier Bar, the BB-2 Mercury Switch Barrier Bar, and the BB-2XL Mercury Switch

Barrier Bar (metal with vertical cross bars for larger perimeter openings.)

Barrier Bars are Made to Last.

Solid, durable construction ensures that our Barrier Bars will safeguard your building indefinitely. Quality components

comprise each Barrier Bar - from the gold contact snap-action switch to the stainless steel spring, to the

armored cable and tough PVC telescope tube assembly - each component is made to exacting specifications for

lasting perimeter protection.

Reply to
Roland Moore

if I could get the rare earth magnet in the slot where it wouldn't obstruct the sill flange that would be ideal. from there the 3/8" switch would be an easy drill shot. Or those little magnet tabs RLB posted looks like they might fit in the gap between window and sill according to the drawing saving 1 drill shot per switch. I get a litlle nervous drilling some of these new $$$ windows.

Reply to
Don

Yah but at least you won't be drilling towards the glass...the rare earth mags are a godsend in that respect.

I've also used a 3/8" Forstner bit to slightly recess those rare earth mags and they come out sweet....but nerve-wracking and time consuming. You may want to think on that as well. Careful with that dry wood too, especially Pellas they seem to use the dryest splinter-prone wood. You have to say a prayer before drill these puppies.

| > lots of glassbreaks and pirs, do the doors, and screw the windows shut :-) | | | if I could get the rare earth magnet in the slot where it wouldn't obstruct | the sill flange that would be ideal. from there the 3/8" switch would be an | easy drill shot. Or those little magnet tabs RLB posted looks like they | might fit in the gap between window and sill according to the drawing | saving 1 drill shot per switch. | I get a litlle nervous drilling some of these new $$$ windows. | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sure. The tilting winders I've seen tilt in for cleaning. If not, they'll have to remove the screens. js

Reply to
alarman

Always wanted to try a brace and bit on those. Would be easy to control;it's a bummer when the drill catches and goes in too fast. I just use a variable speed drill motor on reeeeel low speed. js

Reply to
alarman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.