How would you guys handle this?

Hi,

I've been asked to design a wireless network infrastructure for a school... Now, I am an ICT Manager but Wireless is defo not my strong point.

Basically, i need total building coverage (and its a bloody awful shape with thick brick walls) and it needs to be able to handle a sh*t load of wireless laptops.... initially 40, but possibly expanding upto 120!!! i want one SSID and for these laptops to seemlessly roam anywhere in the building. This needs to be as damn near reliable as a physical network too (so as not to disrupt lessons).

In terms of wireless points, my initial thought would be to cat5 one in every classroom(also using power over ethernet) to get total coverage and i hope this would also help with the burden of so many devices connecting through the network.

I like the sound of some of the Netgear prosafe stuff but i dont really have a clue whats best out there... should i be looking at a, g or n? what equipement is best for handling such a load?

Cheers

Andy

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
andy_corrin
Loading thread data ...

You really should consider hiring a firm that specializes in this. This does not sound like a job for a beginner.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

What you want to do with a single SSID and roaming is possible.

I would stick with 802.11g-based equipment (not many laptops come standard with support for 802.11a). That'll provide plenty of throughput. Cisco has some analysis tools that might help. I'd post on the Cisco router forum on tek-tips.com and get some opinions from Cisco professionals and people that engineer, install and manage complex installations for a living.

If it were me, I'd go with Cisco 1231g or 1131g wireless access points. Scatter them around for coverage. Probably don't need an access point in every room. Use a centralized wireless LAN controller. That's where the Cisco wireless access analysis tools will help.

Power over ethernet will help. It carries operating current from the power supply over unused wires in the CAT5 cables. that will help in placement since you won't need to have a power next to the access points like when they are ceiling-mounted or high in a wall.

The Cisco website has EXTENSIVE documentation to help you through the analysis and to help explain the options. Its hard to find and not necessarily in a single location, but its there.

But I'd start by posting the question for comment on tek-tips.com in the Cisco router forum.

Reply to
Cal Vanize

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.