Drill a hole for a window and door contact.

Hello,

I looking to install my own hard wired security system. Could you step me through the methods of drill the hole in the window to wiring the contact. The panel will be located in the basement.

Reply to
Daydreamer99
Loading thread data ...

Go to

formatting link
or to Robert Bass's FAQ. Both can give you examples of drilling to the basement.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Subject: Re: Drill a hole for a window and door contact. Newsgroup: alt.security.alarms => Allan Waghalter Go to

formatting link
or to Robert Bass's FAQ. Both can give you examples of

Robert's FAQ has not been online in well over six months.

Reply to
G. Morgan

That's too bad. He had a lot of good stuff well presented there. The immediate question at hand on drilling windows to the basement is well handled by Labor Savings Device's web site. Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Not that he doesn't have good information but I don't see why it takes a website to tell someone how to drill down from a typical window to the basement

1. Attach long drill bit to drill
  2. Point drill down inside window frame
  3. Drill until bit appears in basement
  4. ?
Reply to
Mark Leuck

Too simple and straight forward. For him to ask the question, he needs a lot more help than just drilling down. I am not sure that he will know what to do with either end of the wire once it is pulled to the basement. Here in Houston, we don't have basements.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Doesn't say how to avoid waterpipes or romex either. Or how to keep insulation from wrapping around the drill bit so your drill bit doesn't become a perminent fixture in your window frame.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

We don't have basements in Dallas either but I did many installs in Chicago that did have basements and it wasn't difficult to figure out and didn't take anything more than the instructions I mentioned

Reply to
Mark Leuck

news:Tm_Xd.6$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net... Doesn't say how to avoid waterpipes or romex either. Or how to keep insulation from wrapping around the drill bit so your drill bit doesn't become a perminent fixture in your window frame.

But that's common sense, only a fool would drill straight down over an outlet, and one would have to know the house construction to tell where the waterpipes are, all I know is I must have drilled several hundred windows like that and never hit anything

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Did I ever tell ya the story about a three-letter company installer?

Drilled down trough toilet drain pipe which was directly above clients = kitchen?....of course there was no freeking reason to drill anything = since I had prewired the house for tons of stuff, but they were too lazy = to ring it out so they post wired the house!!!...that is until the = lady's kitchen was full of you know what!...then they called me to = finish the job...on my wire.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Drilled down trough toilet drain pipe which was directly above clients kitchen?....of course there was no freeking reason to drill anything since I had prewired the house for tons of stuff, but they were too lazy to ring it out so they post wired the house!!!...that is until the lady's kitchen was full of you know what!...then they called me to finish the job...on my wire.

Most fun I ever saw was a lead I was working with drilled through an upstairs water bed

Worse I ever did was drill into a skylight which shattered and dropped to a tile floor that had a recently discontinued pattern. The contractors came out and installed a new skylight the next day but apparently didn't seal it properly which didn't help much when it rained later that night

Reply to
Mark Leuck

I like the waterbed...that musta been cool.

I drilled up through a tile roof once..not very exciting story though.

It's the remodel jobs that will drive you nuts though..there's always = something where it shouldn't be!

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.