Vinyl Window / Slider Contact Placement

If anyone in this group can help me I would apprecaite it. I have vinyl windows and a vinyl slider in my home. I am about to put up the window and door contacts for a security system but need some advice.

Now, on vinyl windows I am assuming that I can't screw in the contacts. They would ruin the windows and I would be out of luck. However, is it acceptable to use some sort of 3M double contact tape to affix say the transmiter to the window frame (Which is also vinyl) and then use the same tape to affix the magnet to the actual window that is sliding back and forth?

I have seen the type of wireless contacts that you can drill into a frame and then the magnet piece is drilled into the door. I will use this type on my front door which is wood but am I mising something here on vinyl windows? Thanks for any input.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Nortman
Loading thread data ...

I'd use screws for the xmitter. for the mag thats the idea. then a little gleu to hold the mag. or use external contacts and you remote the xmitter a small distance if easier.

Reply to
Robo

Heh, thanks. I appreciate it.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Nortman

I clean the spot w alcohol wipe then stick mag to clean dry spot. A bead of bathroom silicone sealer comes in colors or clear to hold it if the double stick gives out in 6 months.

Reply to
Robo

The recessed xmitters have less range. The 3M tape that comes with the contacts works great if you clean the surface with alcohol first. I have some that haven't moved a speck in 20 years...and still nearly impossible to remove. If you don't clean first, they may fall off next week though - especially on vinyl.

| >> Now, on vinyl windows I am assuming that I can't screw in the contacts. | >> They would ruin the windows and I would be out of luck. However, is it | >> acceptable to use some sort of 3M double contact tape to affix say the | >> transmiter to the window frame (Which is also vinyl) and then use the | >> same tape to affix the magnet to the actual window that is sliding back | >> and forth? | >>

| >> I have seen the type of wireless contacts that you can drill into a frame | >> and then the magnet piece is drilled into the door. I will use this type | >> on my front door which is wood but am I mising something here on vinyl | >> windows? Thanks for any input. | >>

| >> Joe | >

| > I'd use screws for the xmitter. | > for the mag thats the idea. then a little gleu to hold the mag. | > or use external contacts and you remote the xmitter a small distance if | > easier. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Thanks guys. One more question if any of you have an idea. I have a garage that I would like to setup with a wired smoke detector/heat detector. The issue I think is that my garage can get really hot in the summer. Sometimes it's a hundred degrees out here and the garage can get blistering. What would be some of your suggestions for types of wired smoke/heat detectors...or maybe something else I haven't thougt of? I have a DSC 832 system.

Reply to
Joe Nortman

I wouldn't recommend smokes in a garage. Dust, dirt, greasey residue, spiders, ants etc. Use a 195* heat detector(s). Will work just fine.

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Yep!

832 | > system. | > 20 | > > years...and still nearly impossible to remove. If you don't clean first, | > > they may fall off next week though - especially on vinyl. | > >

| > >

| > > | >> Now, on vinyl windows I am assuming that I can't screw in the | > > contacts. | > > | >> They would ruin the windows and I would be out of luck. However, | is | > > it | > > | >> acceptable to use some sort of 3M double contact tape to affix say | > > the | > > | >> transmiter to the window frame (Which is also vinyl) and then use | the | > > | >> same tape to affix the magnet to the actual window that is sliding | > > back | > > | >> and forth? | > > | >>

| > > | >> I have seen the type of wireless contacts that you can drill into a | > > frame | > > | >> and then the magnet piece is drilled into the door. I will use | this | > > type | > > | >> on my front door which is wood but am I mising something here on | > > vinyl | > > | >> windows? Thanks for any input. | > > | >>

| > > | >> Joe | > > | >

| > > | > I'd use screws for the xmitter. | > > | > for the mag thats the idea. then a little gleu to hold the mag. | > > | > or use external contacts and you remote the xmitter a small distance | > > if | > > | > easier. | > > | >

| > > | | > > | | > >

| > >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Exactomundo. Rate of rise detector would trip faster than a fixed temp heat detector. ROR determine a fire by how fast the temp rises in a certain length of time. Use combo detector with rate of rise and fixed temp for the best of both worlds.

Reply to
Robo

Depending on construction I usually use a mini flange contact like the GRI

50F12 in conjunction with a transmitter. I drill a small hole in the drywall next to the window at the top, then another small hole through the top of the window frame right next to the hole in the drywall. I'll fish the wire leads on the contact through the holes, and mount the transmistter over the hole in the drywall. Then its a simple matter of marking the frame and window to align the magnet on the top of the window. Makes for a very neat looking installation, and by putting my holes at the top there is no chance of water damage to the wall from rain water filling the window track. Doesn't always work though if the customer has blinds installed against the window inside the opening. On the other hand if blinds are mounted out from the window then they don't even see the transmitter when the blinds are open.
Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.