Can a Napco system & DSL connection co-exist?

You're splitting hairs. I've noticed this is a popular pursuit in this Newsgroup. Chances are remote that any thief is going to rip out the wires for the DSL modem if he's after the computer. The only thing plugged into the computer at this point is the network cable to the modem. A short here won't affect the phone line.

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
FIRETEK
Loading thread data ...

Splitting hairs even further, why take the chance on a single phone line for your alarm system? "Seems like a no brainer" to include cellular or wireless backup for every installation but how often is it done? Mr. Bass was correct in his response. In reviewing the OP's diagram (however crude it was), you don't need a filter for the alarm panel to communicate with the monitoring facility.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking sides here. I agree with "Petem" that there is a risk (however small) of a problem developing in the DSL line and that the correct way to wire any single line communicator would be to use the Excelsus Filter to eliminate even that small chance.

Before this particular filter was on the market, the only way to ensure uniterrupted DSL and alarm communication was to wire the PROT exactly as the OP describes. I'm certain there are still many installations out there that retain this type of wired connection. What are you (the industry) doing to address these?

Regards,

Frank

Reply to
FIRETEK

Frank: I can't speak for the industry, but I homerun the phone line to the alarm control back to the protector, wire it ahead of everything else, and use the Excelsus filter if the customer has DSL. No muss, no fuss. js

Reply to
alarman

Ok, if you'll pay for it.:)

so he was correct when he said my advice was wrong? I don't see that.

I have had dsl interfere with cs communications before, so I believe you do need a filter. maybe not every time but enough to just go ahead and do it up front and eliminate any potential problems.

I'm glad you agree with me. You're obviously a very intelligent and well spoken individual.

I don't have any wired that way. But if I did I would wire them with the RJ31X in front of everything else and use the filter as I have always done.

Reply to
grabbitt

Thats right...you have to care...from installation to everyday support...right down the line. This is something a big company cannot do.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

True indeed. They're not set up for that kind of customer care. The problem is not all small companies give that kind of care either. There will always be a few who do though. The consumer's problem is trying to discover who they are.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

have you ever heard of pci dsl card?

here's a few

formatting link
used alot around here..

and yes this can happen,what will your insurance company will do if one of your customer is in the situation..and what will be your liability?

when we all know that there are some device that are made to ensure good functioning of both dsl connection and alarm panel?

all this to save 30.00$

and one other thing..lets say your customer after 3 years of not using that nifty little plug where he could have plug a telephone in the back of this dsl modem,but that you told him for what so ever obscure reason not to do so,but he would really need the plug..he is tired of lifting his fat ass from his chair(must have a website selling whatever stuff he doesn't have a clue about)every time the phone ring..while he is in front of his puter..he will plug a phone there..and when my crazy theft will come in and move all the unusefull stuff from the desk that phone will be open and prevent communication with the alarm central..

oups..too bad you didn't told your customer to use a small dsl filter for rj31x...

act like a pro and use the good tool for the job...

"FIRETEK" a écrit dans le message de news: VvUUf.7087$%H.885@clgrps13...

Reply to
petem

and you know what there is another benefit to this....

your customer can connect his dsl modem ANYWHERE in the house and it will work..

cant say that about the OP situation..

"alarman" a écrit dans le message de news: nKVUf.119$Fo3.23@fed1read01...

Reply to
petem

Buy an Excelsus DSL / a;ar,m filter and it will work fine. Just plugs right iin at the RJ-31X. They sell on-line for less than $20.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I'm pretty sure the filter I use does not disconnect the DSL portion of the line. The connection does slow down slightly just like when making a voice call at the same time as using hte DSL connection.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The Excelsus filter is a stright plug in and it does not disconenct the DSL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.