DCS Power 832

The trouble light that's lit on the panel indicates that the issue is "The panel has failed to communicate with the central station."

In

formatting link
poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security system suggested "Program it as local and then power it down and back up again, reset the clock and the trouble light should go out".

My system isn't connected to a central monitoring station - how do I "program it as a local" so it doesn't continue to try and connect?

I assume that making it a local will still generate alarms inside the house, there just won't be any call to the monitoring facility to alert them of trouble. Any way I could program it to call my cell phone instead?

Thanks!

Reply to
Casual Observer
Loading thread data ...

Go away. js

formatting link

Reply to
alarman

Doug answered your question. Go into installer programming mode and turn the dialers off (section 380, 1 light "off").Then the panel won't try to dial out. You may have to power down / power up to clear the trouble, and then re-enter the clock time (as he also said)

You can program it to dial your cell phone, but it will give you no useful information (other than a heart attack when a wrong number / quick disconnect makes you think your alarm has triggered.....:))

And yes, disabling communications will still allow it to work in "local / useless mode".....

RHC

Casual Observer wrote:

formatting link
poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security system

Reply to
tourman

Thanks very much for your suggestion.

formatting link

Reply to
Casual Observer

I appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me.

formatting link
> poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security system

Reply to
Casual Observer

Glad to help ! Please excuse the sarcasm in my past reply. I'm becoming pretty jaded over the years with people cutting the legs off their alarm system by not having it properly monitored.

But with the rates and contractual commitments that some of the larger firms charge, I guess I can't really blame you too much. If you want to service and warranty it yourself, and you're really being honest about your abilities to do so and believe you can, you may want to talk to

formatting link
They are as inexpensive as it gets and are still able to give you professional quality monitoring. But do yourself a favour and do get it monitored.

Cheers !

RHC

Casual Observer wrote:

formatting link
>> poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security system

Reply to
tourman

"Sarcasm" ??? No offense taken at all - I really appreciate it when people try and help me, or explain something that I'm not familiar with.

I did a bit more research as to how to get it into Installer Programming Mode, and it turns out that the company "configured" the system when I bought the house about three years ago (existing home - the system was already installed in the house) - somehow programmed in their own installer code or whatever it's called when they set up the system, and they've refused to give me the code that they programmed in so I could change the programing on the unit on my own ! ! ! I read on one site how I could reset the installer code by jumpering some connections and such, but I had visions of the system going off with no way to shut it off besides clipping the wires.

This just doesn't seem right - it's my system - I own the system along with the house - I only contracted with them for monitoring services - I decided not to renew the monitoring service contract after a year or two - now I find that I'm locked in to them if I want to use the system - doesn't seem right to me - I may give them a call tomorrow and help them see it my way.

Like buying a car - and finding out you can only go to the dealer for gas.

Thanks again!

formatting link
> >> poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security

Reply to
Casual Observer

it would be nice of you to give us what will be the outcome of all this,and if the really don't want to help you,tell us witch company work like that..

at our company we would download a panel and remove all our information at the demand of a customer..with out a fee,but if there is no way to access the alarm panel by phone,and a tech would need to go there to fix the programming for the home owner,there would be a charge..

"Casual Observer" a écrit dans le message de news: K9Zmh.1999$SQ1.845@trnddc03...

formatting link
>> >> poster "Doug L" who seems to know EVERYTHING about EVERY security

Reply to
Petem

You are absolutely right on the money. Here is the case that happens SO often and which I constantly get shit over on the newsgroup because I complain about it. This is no way for any professional company to act, and many people in the industry seem to not only turn a blind eye to it, but insist these things don't happen very often. Or they'll come back implying you are not being straight about this. This is the sort of self serving industry crap that the buying public so often have to put up with. No damn wonder so many people take a jaundiced view of those selling monitoring services !!

All the previous company needs to do is dial in and change the installer code back to factory - nothing more. They don't need to give you their installer code (nor would I either for that matter). While they are at it, they can disable the dialers and remove all their "proprietary information"at the same time PLUS remove the lockout feature to ensure you or your next company can easily reprogram it.

I suggest you talk to them again, and let them know that this is YOUR private property, and they are keeping you from legitimate use of YOUR property (which may be illegal in your jurisdiction), and that you will take it to not only the authorities, but the local newspaper, and the the Better Business Bureau in your area. Be firm but polite. Once they know you are not the usual customer who will take this sort of abuse, they likely will relent, but at some sort of service charge no doubt. If this is a modern panel, they don't (or damn well shouldn't) have to send a tech out on site either to do it, since all modern panels can be uploaded / downloaded with software available to all dealers from the manufacturers.

I wish you luck. If this doesn't work, contact me privately, and I guarantee we can put your panel back to usable shape.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link

Casual Observer wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

You are absolutely right on the money. Here is the case that happens SO often and which I constantly get shit over on the newsgroup because I complain about it. This is no way for any professional company to act, and many people in the industry seem to not only turn a blind eye to it, but insist these things don't happen very often. Or they'll come back implying you are not being straight about this. This is the sort of self serving industry crap that the buying public so often have to put up with. No damn wonder so many people take a jaundiced view of those selling monitoring services !!

All the previous company needs to do is dial in and change the installer code back to factory - nothing more. They don't need to give you their installer code (nor would I either for that matter). While they are at it, they can disable the dialers and remove all their "proprietary information"at the same time PLUS remove the lockout feature to ensure you or your next company can easily reprogram it.

I suggest you talk to them again, and let them know that this is YOUR private property, and they are keeping you from legitimate use of YOUR property (which may be illegal in your jurisdiction), and that you will take it to not only the authorities, but the local newspaper, and the the Better Business Bureau in your area. Be firm but polite. Once they know you are not the usual customer who will take this sort of abuse, they likely will relent, but at some sort of service charge no doubt. If this is a modern panel, they don't (or damn well shouldn't) have to send a tech out on site either to do it, since all modern panels can be uploaded / downloaded with software available to all dealers from the manufacturers.

I wish you luck. If this doesn't work, contact me privately, and I guarantee we can put your panel back to usable shape.

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products

formatting link

Casual Observer wrote:

formatting link

Reply to
tourman

and it turns out that the company "configured" the

system was already installed in the house) - somehow

up the system, and they've refused to give me the

my own ! ! ! I read on one site how I could reset

of the system going off with no way to shut it off

the house - I only contracted with them for monitoring

or two - now I find that I'm locked in to them if I

tomorrow and help them see it my way.

Unfortunately, this kind of rip-off is all too common within the alarm industry. The panel can be defaulted for a small fee by Jim Rojas of Tampa, FL if you're in the USA. Canadians can send the board to Bob Campbell (aka Tourman). Both are honest, decent folks who undo these "program locks" routinely.

Exactly!

Reply to
Robert L Bass

No, he's not.

This is a service, expected by the new homeowner to be performed by the alarmco, which is not owed to the new homeowner. The homeowner's attitude is that the alarmco owes this to him because he now owns the system. If the homeowner wants the alarmco to reset the code, which was changed by the alarmco for all the good reasons published here before, the alarmco has a right to charge for that service if they so desire. The fact that the new homeowner wants to use the system locally, and can't because he didn't get the system defaulted by the seller, does not obligate the alarmco to perform service for free of charge. BTW, I certainly would not connect to, and reprogram someones alarm panel unless they were under contract with me and I had some protection from liability. Also, I do not accept your premise that this makes me a shady dealer, or somehow unscrupulous. These new homeowners need to understand that if they move into a home with an existing alarm system, that it is NOT the responsibility of the alarmco to hold their hand for free.

The homeowner may either do research and default/reprogram the system himself, or pay a professional to perform the service.

If you buy a house with a lock on the garage door, and no key is available to the new owner, you should not expect the locksmith who installed the lock for the original owner to unlock the lock at no charge. You said that "All the previous company needs to do is dial in and change the installer code back to factory - nothing more." is pure bullshit. How likely is it that the homeowner is prepared for this? Is the alarm still connected to the phone line? Is it powered up? Is little teen-age daughter using the line now? How long shall my tech wait until you're ready for us to dial in? Is the alarm still connected to the same phone line? Or has the phone company, or worse, the "handy" homeowner reconfigured the phone wiring? Should the alarmco send a tech out to correct the problem? At no charge, I suppose? Even if the line is still connected, it still takes some time and effort for a skilled person at the alarmco to access the file, reprogram a new phone number into the d/l computer, call the premises and reprogram the code. And then of course, any other problem the new "customer" has with the system becomes the alarmco's problem. Right?

So give me a break with your "keeping you from legitimate use of YOUR property" bullshit, will ya? js

Reply to
alarman

RHC: Yes he is ! Dead on the money !

RHC: Well, I'm sorry that you find that so bothersome, but start looking at things more from the customers point of view for a change. You know damn well this sort of thing goes on all the time. And instead of starting on about how the poor company is being cheated out of revenue etc etc etc...ask yourself how the hell you would feel if you were getting screwed over like this. Seems to depend upon who's foot the shoe is on....

RHC: Jesus H Christ, who the hell said anything about doing it for free. On the other hand, I don't think they should stick it to him either ! Don't you guys ever read and think, rather than jumping all over the first point that may not be thoroughly brought out ! Nothing you say above changes the fact that it is HIS f****ng property ! And the previous alarmco won't give him access to HIS alarm panel (or at least so it seems at the moment). The cost of the service to do so is NOT at issue here. And no one (least of all me) is saying squat about implying you are somewhat less than honourable. How in Gods name can you ever come to the conclusion that I am implying you are shady or whatever. Jesus, Jack ! Is our industry so anal that they can't or won't look at some of the practices that reflect badly on all of us rather than just assuming the worst every time about every customer. Lord knows, there ARE enough real idiot customers out there that we all have to put up with. But this guy is simply outlining a problem we all know happens all too often. And I repeat..it is NOT about whether this guy will pay for professional services, its about the fact that the company so far hasn't done what they should have done when the panel was disconnected from the first homeowner...put it back to a point where it can be used by them later again, or someone else that the homeowner chooses! It's his property pure and simple !!

RHC:Absolutely right !! And that's what he said he has done, and approached the alarmco about it. And so far it seems they won't do anything for him unless he signs a bloody monitoring contract with them. What f****ng planet were all you guys born on. That's f****ng extortion no matter how you colour it !!!!!!

RHC: No, all problems are clearly the homeowners problems, but give me a break ! No one is saying these problems don't exist.You and I run into them all the time doing takeovers !! And no one in this thread is saying that the new homeowner won't have to take into account these sorts of situations and pay to have them rectified. If it's like it is up here, the telephone company may have royally screwed things up. And so far he is not saying that he is unwilling to pay for professional services (other than monitoring through the previous company). Why do you automatically read the worst into everything this guy is saying. It will be interesting to see what he comes back with after he calls the company tomorrow.

RHC: No, you give me a break from all your faulty assumptions about what this guy is asking for. Frankly, I hope he does get a professional to service his alarm, but it likely won't be from the previous company who seems only too willing to pass this guy over because he doesn't want them to monitor it.. That's his f****ng choice ! He owns the God damn panel. If he wants a professional to set it up, he will have to pay the price. No one has said any different.

Jesus H Christ ! I hope you fuzzy thinkers never sit on a jury judging me for some unproven wrong doing. If so, I'm dead meat before I start.....

RHC

Reply to
tourman

Wow, Bob. You posted the above and I actually called one of the other idiots an asshole. What is this newsgroup coming to? :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

How do you know he didn't breach the purchase or monitoring contract? Or owe the alarmco money? I'm not saying he does, but what if he did? Why should they unlock a panel for a deadbeat? Would your utility company turn your power back on if you didn't pay the bill, just because you own the house?

"tourman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com... | | alarman wrote: | > tourman" wrote in message | > news: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com... | > > You are absolutely right on the money. | >

| > No, he's not. | | RHC: Yes he is ! Dead on the money ! | >

| > >Here is the case that happens SO | > > often and which I constantly get shit over on the newsgroup because I | > > complain about it. This is no way for any professional company to act, | > > and many people in the industry seem to not only turn a blind eye to | > > it, but insist these things don't happen very often. Or they'll come | > > back implying you are not being straight about this. This is the sort | > > of self serving industry crap that the buying public so often have to | > > put up with. No damn wonder so many people take a jaundiced view of | > > those selling monitoring services !! | >

| > | | RHC: Well, I'm sorry that you find that so bothersome, but start | looking at things more from the customers point of view for a change. | You know damn well this sort of thing goes on all the time. And instead | of starting on about how the poor company is being cheated out of | revenue etc etc etc...ask yourself how the hell you would feel if you | were getting screwed over like this. Seems to depend upon who's foot | the shoe is on.... | >

| > This is a service, expected by the new homeowner to be performed by the | > alarmco, which is not owed to the new homeowner. The homeowner's attitude is | > that the alarmco owes this to him because he now owns the system. If the | > homeowner wants the alarmco to reset the code, which was changed by the | > alarmco for all the good reasons published here before, the alarmco has a | > right to charge for that service if they so desire. The fact that the new | > homeowner wants to use the system locally, and can't because he didn't get | > the system defaulted by the seller, does not obligate the alarmco to perform | > service for free of charge. BTW, I certainly would not connect to, and | > reprogram someones alarm panel unless they were under contract with me and I | > had some protection from liability. Also, I do not accept your premise that | > this makes me a shady dealer, or somehow unscrupulous. These new homeowners | > need to understand that if they move into a home with an existing alarm | > system, that it is NOT the responsibility of the alarmco to hold their hand | > for free. | | RHC: Jesus H Christ, who the hell said anything about doing it for | free. On the other hand, I don't think they should stick it to him | either ! Don't you guys ever read and think, rather than jumping all | over the first point that may not be thoroughly brought out ! Nothing | you say above changes the fact that it is HIS f****ng property ! And | the previous alarmco won't give him access to HIS alarm panel (or at | least so it seems at the moment). The cost of the service to do so is | NOT at issue here. And no one (least of all me) is saying squat about | implying you are somewhat less than honourable. How in Gods name can | you ever come to the conclusion that I am implying you are shady or | whatever. Jesus, Jack ! Is our industry so anal that they can't or | won't look at some of the practices that reflect badly on all of us | rather than just assuming the worst every time about every customer. | Lord knows, there ARE enough real idiot customers out there that we all | have to put up with. But this guy is simply outlining a problem we all | know happens all too often. And I repeat..it is NOT about whether this | guy will pay for professional services, its about the fact that the | company so far hasn't done what they should have done when the panel | was disconnected from the first homeowner...put it back to a point | where it can be used by them later again, or someone else that the | homeowner chooses! It's his property pure and simple !! | >

| > The homeowner may either do research and default/reprogram the system | > himself, or pay a professional to perform the service. | | RHC:Absolutely right !! And that's what he said he has done, and | approached the alarmco about it. And so far it seems they won't do | anything for him unless he signs a bloody monitoring contract with | them. What f****ng planet were all you guys born on. That's f****ng | extortion no matter how you colour it !!!!!! | >

| > If you buy a house with a lock on the garage door, and no key is available | > to the new owner, you should not expect the locksmith who installed the lock | > for the original owner to unlock the lock at no charge. You said that "All | > the previous company needs to do is dial in and change the installer code | > back to factory - nothing more." is pure bullshit. How likely is it that the | > homeowner is prepared for this? Is the alarm still connected to the phone | > line? Is it powered up? Is little teen-age daughter using the line now? How | > long shall my tech wait until you're ready for us to dial in? Is the alarm | > still connected to the same phone line? Or has the phone company, or worse, | > the "handy" homeowner reconfigured the phone wiring? Should the alarmco send | > a tech out to correct the problem? At no charge, I suppose? Even if the line | > is still connected, it still takes some time and effort for a skilled person | > at the alarmco to access the file, reprogram a new phone number into the d/l | > computer, call the premises and reprogram the code. And then of course, any | > other problem the new "customer" has with the system becomes the alarmco's | > problem. Right? | | RHC: No, all problems are clearly the homeowners problems, but give me | a break ! No one is saying these problems don't exist.You and I run | into them all the time doing takeovers !! And no one in this thread is | saying that the new homeowner won't have to take into account these | sorts of situations and pay to have them rectified. If it's like it is | up here, the telephone company may have royally screwed things up. And | so far he is not saying that he is unwilling to pay for professional | services (other than monitoring through the previous company). Why do | you automatically read the worst into everything this guy is saying. It | will be interesting to see what he comes back with after he calls the | company tomorrow. | >

| > So give me a break with your "keeping you from legitimate use of YOUR | > property" bullshit, will ya? | > js | | RHC: No, you give me a break from all your faulty assumptions about | what this guy is asking for. Frankly, I hope he does get a professional | to service his alarm, but it likely won't be from the previous company | who seems only too willing to pass this guy over because he doesn't | want them to monitor it.. That's his f****ng choice ! He owns the God | damn panel. If he wants a professional to set it up, he will have to | pay the price. No one has said any different. | | Jesus H Christ ! I hope you fuzzy thinkers never sit on a jury judging | me for some unproven wrong doing. If so, I'm dead meat before I | start..... | | RHC |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I didn't breach the purchase or monitoring contract - the system was already installed in the house when I bought the house - the alarm came with the house - I own the house and the alarm system. The monitoring contract I signed was a month to month deal - I cancelled it with a month's notice, so they didn't get screwed there.

Here's the rest of the story - I made a couple of calls to their service number after unsuccesfully trying to get an installer code and get into programming mode - the gal that answered the phone kept talking about their proprietary work and the secret code - I finally talked with a supervisor who said, no, they just went with the defaults and didn't use any secret code - so I went back and tried a few of the defaults and bingo! I'll do the rest of the research and figure out how to get it set to local mode.

I think if the homeowner owns the alarm system, he\\she should be able to do whatever he\\she wants to do with it. I think as a part of the contract agreement, if the homeowner legally terminates the monitoring contract, then the monitoring company should be required to put the system back to where it was before the contract was initiated. If they hold the homeowner ransom by using a secret code or something like that, then it's time for a registered letter to the company, and perhaps a suit in small claims court.

Wanted to thank all of you guys for the help. I have a new level of respect for the capabilities and complexities of the alarm systems - and people that understand them.

Reply to
Casual Observer

RHC: Well, as I read what he says, he is the new owner of the house, and he owns the system outright. If he doesn't then all bets are off. But then again, if the alarmco didn't make an effort to retrieve their system when the house was sold, that too could have a bearing on things. I'll wait until he gets back to us with the company reaction to his request to make the system local before I say any more.

In thinking it over, I'm being just as guilty of assuming the alarmco won't co-operate as some are in assuming the worst about the customer.

PS: Jack, I apologize for my rough language last night. I meant no personal slight to you....just a bad day all around...

RHC

Reply to
tourman

I agree. I was merely pointing out the unknown possibilities. Glad you got it sorted out.

"Casual Observer" wrote in message news:ZT7nh.5046$IT2.1658@trnddc06... |I didn't breach the purchase or monitoring contract - the system was already | installed in the house when I bought the house - the alarm came with the | house - I own the house and the alarm system. The monitoring contract I | signed was a month to month deal - I cancelled it with a month's notice, so | they didn't get screwed there. | | Here's the rest of the story - I made a couple of calls to their service | number after unsuccesfully trying to get an installer code and get into | programming mode - the gal that answered the phone kept talking about their | proprietary work and the secret code - I finally talked with a supervisor | who said, no, they just went with the defaults and didn't use any secret | code - so I went back and tried a few of the defaults and bingo! I'll do | the rest of the research and figure out how to get it set to local mode. | | I think if the homeowner owns the alarm system, he\\she should be able to do | whatever he\\she wants to do with it. I think as a part of the contract | agreement, if the homeowner legally terminates the monitoring contract, then | the monitoring company should be required to put the system back to where it | was before the contract was initiated. If they hold the homeowner ransom by | using a secret code or something like that, then it's time for a registered | letter to the company, and perhaps a suit in small claims court. | | Wanted to thank all of you guys for the help. I have a new level of respect | for the capabilities and complexities of the alarm systems - and people that | understand them. | | | "Crash Gordon" wrote in message | news:459c9c9f$0$502$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net... | > How do you know he didn't breach the purchase or monitoring contract? Or | > owe | > the alarmco money? | > I'm not saying he does, but what if he did? Why should they unlock a panel | > for a deadbeat? Would your utility company turn your power back on if you | > didn't pay the bill, just because you own the house? | >

| >

| >

| > "tourman" wrote in message | > news: snipped-for-privacy@42g2000cwt.googlegroups.com... | > | | > | alarman wrote: | > | > tourman" wrote in message | > | > news: snipped-for-privacy@11g2000cwr.googlegroups.com... | > | > > You are absolutely right on the money. | > | >

| > | > No, he's not. | > | | > | RHC: Yes he is ! Dead on the money ! | > | >

| > | > >Here is the case that happens SO | > | > > often and which I constantly get shit over on the newsgroup because | > I | > | > > complain about it. This is no way for any professional company to | > act, | > | > > and many people in the industry seem to not only turn a blind eye to | > | > > it, but insist these things don't happen very often. Or they'll come | > | > > back implying you are not being straight about this. This is the | > sort | > | > > of self serving industry crap that the buying public so often have | > to | > | > > put up with. No damn wonder so many people take a jaundiced view of | > | > > those selling monitoring services !! | > | >

| > | > | > | | > | RHC: Well, I'm sorry that you find that so bothersome, but start | > | looking at things more from the customers point of view for a change. | > | You know damn well this sort of thing goes on all the time. And instead | > | of starting on about how the poor company is being cheated out of | > | revenue etc etc etc...ask yourself how the hell you would feel if you | > | were getting screwed over like this. Seems to depend upon who's foot | > | the shoe is on.... | > | >

| > | > This is a service, expected by the new homeowner to be performed by | > the | > | > alarmco, which is not owed to the new homeowner. The homeowner's | > attitude is | > | > that the alarmco owes this to him because he now owns the system. If | > the | > | > homeowner wants the alarmco to reset the code, which was changed by | > the | > | > alarmco for all the good reasons published here before, the alarmco | > has | > a | > | > right to charge for that service if they so desire. The fact that the | > new | > | > homeowner wants to use the system locally, and can't because he didn't | > get | > | > the system defaulted by the seller, does not obligate the alarmco to | > perform | > | > service for free of charge. BTW, I certainly would not connect to, and | > | > reprogram someones alarm panel unless they were under contract with me | > and I | > | > had some protection from liability. Also, I do not accept your premise | > that | > | > this makes me a shady dealer, or somehow unscrupulous. These new | > homeowners | > | > need to understand that if they move into a home with an existing | > alarm | > | > system, that it is NOT the responsibility of the alarmco to hold their | > hand | > | > for free. | > | | > | RHC: Jesus H Christ, who the hell said anything about doing it for | > | free. On the other hand, I don't think they should stick it to him | > | either ! Don't you guys ever read and think, rather than jumping all | > | over the first point that may not be thoroughly brought out ! Nothing | > | you say above changes the fact that it is HIS f****ng property ! And | > | the previous alarmco won't give him access to HIS alarm panel (or at | > | least so it seems at the moment). The cost of the service to do so is | > | NOT at issue here. And no one (least of all me) is saying squat about | > | implying you are somewhat less than honourable. How in Gods name can | > | you ever come to the conclusion that I am implying you are shady or | > | whatever. Jesus, Jack ! Is our industry so anal that they can't or | > | won't look at some of the practices that reflect badly on all of us | > | rather than just assuming the worst every time about every customer. | > | Lord knows, there ARE enough real idiot customers out there that we all | > | have to put up with. But this guy is simply outlining a problem we all | > | know happens all too often. And I repeat..it is NOT about whether this | > | guy will pay for professional services, its about the fact that the | > | company so far hasn't done what they should have done when the panel | > | was disconnected from the first homeowner...put it back to a point | > | where it can be used by them later again, or someone else that the | > | homeowner chooses! It's his property pure and simple !! | > | >

| > | > The homeowner may either do research and default/reprogram the system | > | > himself, or pay a professional to perform the service. | > | | > | RHC:Absolutely right !! And that's what he said he has done, and | > | approached the alarmco about it. And so far it seems they won't do | > | anything for him unless he signs a bloody monitoring contract with | > | them. What f****ng planet were all you guys born on. That's f****ng | > | extortion no matter how you colour it !!!!!! | > | >

| > | > If you buy a house with a lock on the garage door, and no key is | > available | > | > to the new owner, you should not expect the locksmith who installed | > the | > lock | > | > for the original owner to unlock the lock at no charge. You said that | > "All | > | > the previous company needs to do is dial in and change the installer | > code | > | > back to factory - nothing more." is pure bullshit. How likely is it | > that | > the | > | > homeowner is prepared for this? Is the alarm still connected to the | > phone | > | > line? Is it powered up? Is little teen-age daughter using the line | > now? | > How | > | > long shall my tech wait until you're ready for us to dial in? Is the | > alarm | > | > still connected to the same phone line? Or has the phone company, or | > worse, | > | > the "handy" homeowner reconfigured the phone wiring? Should the | > alarmco | > send | > | > a tech out to correct the problem? At no charge, I suppose? Even if | > the | > line | > | > is still connected, it still takes some time and effort for a skilled | > person | > | > at the alarmco to access the file, reprogram a new phone number into | > the | > d/l | > | > computer, call the premises and reprogram the code. And then of | > course, | > any | > | > other problem the new "customer" has with the system becomes the | > alarmco's | > | > problem. Right? | > | | > | RHC: No, all problems are clearly the homeowners problems, but give me | > | a break ! No one is saying these problems don't exist.You and I run | > | into them all the time doing takeovers !! And no one in this thread is | > | saying that the new homeowner won't have to take into account these | > | sorts of situations and pay to have them rectified. If it's like it is | > | up here, the telephone company may have royally screwed things up. And | > | so far he is not saying that he is unwilling to pay for professional | > | services (other than monitoring through the previous company). Why do | > | you automatically read the worst into everything this guy is saying. It | > | will be interesting to see what he comes back with after he calls the | > | company tomorrow. | > | >

| > | > So give me a break with your "keeping you from legitimate use of YOUR | > | > property" bullshit, will ya? | > | > js | > | | > | RHC: No, you give me a break from all your faulty assumptions about | > | what this guy is asking for. Frankly, I hope he does get a professional | > | to service his alarm, but it likely won't be from the previous company | > | who seems only too willing to pass this guy over because he doesn't | > | want them to monitor it.. That's his f****ng choice ! He owns the God | > | damn panel. If he wants a professional to set it up, he will have to | > | pay the price. No one has said any different. | > | | > | Jesus H Christ ! I hope you fuzzy thinkers never sit on a jury judging | > | me for some unproven wrong doing. If so, I'm dead meat before I | > | start..... | > | | > | RHC | > | | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I merely wanted to point out the possibility the the client could be wrong. Yes folks the customer is not always right :-)

| RHC: Well, as I read what he says, he is the new owner of the house, | and he owns the system outright. If he doesn't then all bets are off. | But then again, if the alarmco didn't make an effort to retrieve their | system when the house was sold, that too could have a bearing on | things. I'll wait until he gets back to us with the company reaction to | his request to make the system local before I say any more. | | In thinking it over, I'm being just as guilty of assuming the alarmco | won't co-operate as some are in assuming the worst about the customer. | | PS: Jack, I apologize for my rough language last night. I meant no | personal slight to you....just a bad day all around... | | RHC | > | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yes, thanks for putting things back on track. And I apologize once again to anyone who may have been offended by the tone of my post last night. In thinking about what was said, I think I may have been overly affected by the number of letters I get from people who have suffered as a result of alarmco's refusal to unlock a board. It happens all too often, but yes there are two sides to the story. And I'm glad for the poster in question that all worked out well for him.

This morning, I went through a large pile of received and saved mail and pulled out 26 separate instances of where this sort of thing has happened in the last six months. I will quote you the exact text of the last message, not because it is unique but rather typical. Personal information is excluded for obvious reasons.....

And I quote....

"Hi, please find enclosed an older DSC 2550 revision 6 version 1.31 locked board. I recently purchased a house through a bank (foreclosure) with an existing alarm system but was never given the passwords to set new alarm codes nor did the bank know of any. Everything functioned correctly except I couldn't arm or disarm since I never knew the former owners codes. When I approached the alarm company for the codes explaining the situation they simply wouldn't help me unless I signed some kind of 1-2 year contract despite their confirmation that I owned the alarm system out right. I was able to set everything back to factory default except the installers lock out. As it stands the alarm only serves as a glorified door chime since with the board locked out I can't reconfigure / redefine the zones from the default setting. I've enclosed an $X money order for the return shipping . If its at all possible can you make every effort to have it unlocked and returned before the holidays. I may take advantage of the few days off to re-install the system...Thanks...etc "

If I may seem overly sensitive on this issue, the above is part of the reason.

Regards,

RHC

Crash Gord> I merely wanted to point out the possibility the the client could be wrong.

Reply to
tourman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.