I wish this was fiction

Why is it that people will spend tens of thousands of dollars for newer cars, televisions, stereo equipment, computer upgrades, golf clubs, furniture, and every other bobble or goody but they have no issue using a prehistoric system, or some DIY crapola they bought on Ebay to protect that stuff plus the lives of their loved ones?

I was going through some older lead files and ran across this doozy.

There's a character in a multi-million dollar brownstone in Manhattan's Upper East Side we designed a pretty sweet system for (all doors, accessible windows, skylights, 2 fires on every living level, heats in the basement, motions, glassbreaks, etc, etc, etc,). Bozo had just purchased the house with a basic ADT system (the motion was 3 feet from the floor next to the fireplace) in there from the year of the flood, and couldn't understand why none of that equipment could be used. He also couldn't believe he had to pay more than $99.00 for the installation because ADT would activate his system for free (or so he said). Customers love to throw comments like that out there in hopes it spooks an alarm company to dropping price. He also mentioned he was considering a DIY option without monitoring.

So what does this filthy rich slob choose to do to protect his home?

a- install our system at a cost over $5000.00?

b- ADT activating their ancient system for free?

c- the local alarm DIY option?

d- Protect America's postage due security system?

If you said C you are correct. He installed a Visonic Powermax. And HOW you ask do I know this? He called me. And WHY you ask did he call me? He wanted to know if I would help him program it.

Next we come across a lady from Scarsdale who saw the TV commercial for a Free demonstration and wanted an appointment. The rep gets to her house, introduces himself, and she says "it's right over here". He asks her "what is right over there?". She says "the alarm panel. It says all it needs is a battery can you take care of that for me?" He asks her if she's under a contract with anyone to which she says no. He asks her who monitors the system and she says "oh I'm not interested in any service can you just replace the battery?" My cell phone rings and he's explaining this to me. I ask to speak to the lady. She gets on the phone and before I can say boo she says "I don't understand why there's so much trouble involved with replacing a battery. I'm not interested in any service or paying any fees so either fix it for free or I'll just find someone else to do it" Apparently the world owes her a living as well.

Another Manhattan brownstone owner has an insurance company where the policy requires he install a system. Now this guy has no interest in installing a system so he offers to pay $99.00 just for the Certificate of Installation. When he's told NO he demands to speak to the owner so he can tell me how my rep just blew a $99.00 sale.

And I thought the guy who wanted a system with no entry/exit delays, no yard sign, no window stickers, and no SIREN was a goof.

The Service Call of the Week award goes to my favorite FC (Failure to Communicate) customer (but not favorite service call) once again. Yes, she called again to tell me how my alarm system doesn't work right because every time the phone company disconnects her the keypad acts up. The concept of paying the phone bill escapes her.

My all-time favorite customer for service calls is the fellow who believes some type of spirit is tampering with his alarm cables, and unplugging his transformer. And before anyone says to have the guy call another certain alarm company ................. HUSH.

The more and more I come across this kind of crap the more and more I believe the TV ads are running only on Comedy Central.

Reply to
Everywhere Man
Loading thread data ...

This is one of the long list of reasons I no longer deal with residential for any thing. I have a couple commercail accounts i did there homes and thats that. Its the old story It is never going to happen to me story. I stay away from non profit groups, churches, socail clubs, bars and restraunts they have too many assholes on the boards, bad reputations and notorius track records. or my brother in law can do it cheaper and better nonsense. Like I say call your brother in law and do not call me any more and good bye. I will not take high risk clients who do not do the right thing.

Same with my wifes church offfered years ago to put in a fire system. no we do not need it. then insurance company said they could save $5000.00 a year in premiums if they put one in. Of course they assumed $5000.00 would give them a total fire system and were shocked when the bids came in 3 times that .Did not put system in like they were suppose to and got penalised by the insurance company . Needless to say Im staying out of this one they can open the book and throw the dart I offered to help the ass holes out 20 years ago when it was resonable and they could have been saving money all these years . But again it is never going to happen to them and the church is nothing but a fire trap and local AHJ does nothing to make sure churches are safe and 2 city firefighters lost there lives because of it couple years ago at a different church . Of course if something happens and insurance refuses to pay all your going to get is them being cry babys and how they were victimised by the system.

I would rather get rid of 30 pain in the ass customers and keep 3 good ones than put up with the horse shit. dumped 6 more accounts this summer. Who ever took them i wish them luck getting there money and keeping there sanity.

Reply to
Nick Markowitz

A few weeks ago I recieved a VM from a woman. I wish I can figure out a way to record the message out of Qwest's VM, because this one is a doozy.

The woman starts off sounding very normal...and things go downhill from there. The message was at least 5 minutes long. Hi, this is Suzy Whatever, you know my uncle Bill NoIDont he lives down the block from me. She leaves her real phone number. I wish you would remove those overhead transmitters (UH OH...here we go) that I know you installed or someone you know installed. They are radiating signals to my brain and are effecting my blood. (HUH?) Please, I would like you to remove them because it's causing problems with my blood and it's effecting my job.

Ok...that was the jist of it...but it went on for 5 minutes...she was very polite...and the whole thing was so wierd...we are still laughing at this one! I keep it saved on my VM for S&G's every now and then.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Are you (or someone you know) affiliated with the PERVERTS at the NSA?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes, of course...Perverts International Service Society (PISS for short)

| >A few weeks ago I recieved a VM from a woman. I wish I can figure out a way | >to record the message out of Qwest's VM, because this one is a doozy. | >

| >The woman starts off sounding very normal...and things go downhill from | >there. The message was at least 5 minutes long. | >Hi, this is Suzy Whatever, you know my uncle Bill NoIDont he lives down the | >block from me. She leaves her real phone number. I wish you would remove | >those overhead transmitters (UH OH...here we go) that I know you installed | >or someone you know installed. They are radiating signals to my brain and | >are effecting my blood. (HUH?) Please, I would like you to remove them | >because it's causing problems with my blood and it's effecting my job. | >

| >Ok...that was the jist of it...but it went on for 5 minutes...she was very | >polite...and the whole thing was so wierd...we are still laughing at this | >one! I keep it saved on my VM for S&G's every now and then. | | | Are you (or someone you know) affiliated with the PERVERTS at the NSA? | -- | | -Graham | (remove the double e's to email)

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I don't have as humorous a story as that. Most of mine are short and sweet: my boss sells crap, I install it, the customer hates it... nuff said.

But there was one that sticks with me. We sold a Concord Express to this nice little old lady who wanted it mostly for the keyfobs and panic buttons. She called us in great distress the next day explaining how her keyfob wouldn't unlock her garage entry door.................

Typical.

Reply to
S. Smith

Boy, I can really relate to that ! I suspect most dealers who have been in business for awhile can too.

Most of my customers are reasonably well informed customers, and thankfully don't take that short sighted approach, but a lot of the takeovers that come my way from other places do, and are definately looking for "cheap" as the operative word. So I've taken to reviewing everything carefully before agreeing to take on their system. If they won't let me upgrade to basic acceptable levels, they can go elsewhere. As a result, recently, only about 5 out of 10 takeovers coming in the door "make the grade". The others go elsewhere I guess, to companies who haven't yet learned that the headaches associated with one bad customer cost as much or more as the service on 50 good accounts.

You really have to wonder about the thinking of a person who would want to use a junky or poorly installed alarm panel (which would be about the equivalent of a 286 in the computer world...!!!!)

I really don't understand it. There are lots of reasons I can guess at, but common sense seems to fly out the window with some when alarms come up.

Go figure !!

R.H.Campbell Home Security Metal Products Ottawa, > Why is it that people will spend tens of thousands of dollars for newer

Reply to
tourman

I think that was Tom

Doug

Reply to
Doug L

Reply to
Bob Worthy

That would be going to extremes to get a sale. But is "free" really a sale?

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Reply to
Bob Worthy

On a daily basis

Bob Worthy wrote:

Reply to
Everywhere Man

This is making me think of a nutcase I had just before July..

we install a small system in a really small video store (the one that have a kind of atm but for DVD's)

he wanted to know if someone opened the acoustic tile of the ceiling,so we installed 2 PIR in the space on top of the tile.. the next day we receive a call from the owner,telling us that he touched the tile and nothing occurred,I ask him what did he meant by touching the tile,and he said: I touched it with at least 2 finger twice and the alarm didn't sound..

so I asked did you lift it?....he said No,why would I need to lift it?the PIR are not sensing it?

after arguing with the man that those were movement detector and that they needed to see real movement to create an alarm,for a good 1/2 hour he finally came to the conclusion that we were just a bunch of bozo's and he would call his friend to fix this,next thing we know his friend work for Adt and he used our wiring to install exactly the same stuff on site...he called us to come pick back our stuff,you should have seen his face when I took the box and I asked him,where is the wiring?

he said that it was still in the walls...so I started taking it back,damn I never heard a guy shouting such insanity toward me with such force,and I was enjoying it!

but I would have just love to see his face when he received a letter asking him to pay the full 5 year monitoring contract he contracted with us....And a cancellation fee...

"tourman" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Petem

Where's my wire?! I love it.

I'da loved to see the ADT installer's face when he had to come back an install wire.

:-))

| > Most of my customers are reasonably well informed customers, and | > thankfully don't take that short sighted approach, but a lot of the | > takeovers that come my way from other places do, and are definately | > looking for "cheap" as the operative word. So I've taken to reviewing | > everything carefully before agreeing to take on their system. If they | > won't let me upgrade to basic acceptable levels, they can go elsewhere. | > As a result, recently, only about 5 out of 10 takeovers coming in the | > door "make the grade". The others go elsewhere I guess, to companies | > who haven't yet learned that the headaches associated with one bad | > customer cost as much or more as the service on 50 good accounts. | >

| > You really have to wonder about the thinking of a person who would want | > to use a junky or poorly installed alarm panel (which would be about | > the equivalent of a 286 in the computer world...!!!!) | >

| > I really don't understand it. There are lots of reasons I can guess at, | > but common sense seems to fly out the window with some when alarms come | > up. | >

| > Go figure !! | >

| > R.H.Campbell | > Home Security Metal Products | > Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | >

formatting link
| >

| > Everywhere Man wrote: | >> Why is it that people will spend tens of thousands of dollars for newer | >> cars, televisions, stereo equipment, computer upgrades, golf clubs, | >> furniture, and every other bobble or goody but they have no issue using | >> a prehistoric system, or some DIY crapola they bought on Ebay to | >> protect that stuff plus the lives of their loved ones? | >>

| >> I was going through some older lead files and ran across this doozy. | >>

| >> There's a character in a multi-million dollar brownstone in Manhattan's | >> Upper East Side we designed a pretty sweet system for (all doors, | >> accessible windows, skylights, 2 fires on every living level, heats in | >> the basement, motions, glassbreaks, etc, etc, etc,). Bozo had just | >> purchased the house with a basic ADT system (the motion was 3 feet from | >> the floor next to the fireplace) in there from the year of the flood, | >> and couldn't understand why none of that equipment could be used. He | >> also couldn't believe he had to pay more than $99.00 for the | >> installation because ADT would activate his system for free (or so he | >> said). Customers love to throw comments like that out there in hopes it | >> spooks an alarm company to dropping price. He also mentioned he was | >> considering a DIY option without monitoring. | >>

| >> So what does this filthy rich slob choose to do to protect his home? | >>

| >> a- install our system at a cost over $5000.00? | >>

| >> b- ADT activating their ancient system for free? | >>

| >> c- the local alarm DIY option? | >>

| >> d- Protect America's postage due security system? | >>

| >> If you said C you are correct. He installed a Visonic Powermax. | >> And HOW you ask do I know this? He called me. And WHY you ask did he | >> call me? He wanted to know if I would help him program it. | >>

| >>

| >> Next we come across a lady from Scarsdale who saw the TV commercial for | >> a Free demonstration and wanted an appointment. The rep gets to her | >> house, introduces himself, and she says "it's right over here". | >> He asks her "what is right over there?". | >> She says "the alarm panel. It says all it needs is a battery can you | >> take care of that for me?" | >> He asks her if she's under a contract with anyone to which she says no. | >> He asks her who monitors the system and she says "oh I'm not interested | >> in any service can you just replace the battery?" | >> My cell phone rings and he's explaining this to me. I ask to speak to | >> the lady. She gets on the phone and before I can say boo she says "I | >> don't understand why there's so much trouble involved with replacing a | >> battery. I'm not interested in any service or paying any fees so either | >> fix it for free or I'll just find someone else to do it" | >> Apparently the world owes her a living as well. | >>

| >>

| >> Another Manhattan brownstone owner has an insurance company where the | >> policy requires he install a system. Now this guy has no interest in | >> installing a system so he offers to pay $99.00 just for the Certificate | >> of Installation. When he's told NO he demands to speak to the owner so | >> he can tell me how my rep just blew a $99.00 sale. | >>

| >> And I thought the guy who wanted a system with no entry/exit delays, no | >> yard sign, no window stickers, and no SIREN was a goof. | >>

| >>

| >> The Service Call of the Week award goes to my favorite FC (Failure to | >> Communicate) customer (but not favorite service call) once again. | >> Yes, she called again to tell me how my alarm system doesn't work right | >> because every time the phone company disconnects her | >> the keypad acts up. | >> The concept of paying the phone bill escapes her. | >>

| >> My all-time favorite customer for service calls is the fellow who | >> believes some type of spirit is tampering with his alarm cables, and | >> unplugging his transformer. | >> And before anyone says to have the guy call another certain alarm | >> company ................. HUSH. | >>

| >> The more and more I come across this kind of crap the more and more I | >> believe the TV ads are running only on Comedy Central. | >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.