21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

I live in a place so remote that NO ONE walks by. Anyone not in/on a vehicle would be suspect. Plus, since it's a narrow two-lane road, the thief would have to pull off onto the shoulder or into a driveway. Not exactly subtle. Still, no one out here locks much of anything unless you're going on vacation.

Reply to
h
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
>

thank you. I have been looking for a sign to put up on our camera system at our cabins.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I always offered to bug not only the overhead garage door but also the interior door leading from the garage to the house. I'd put a longer delay on the roll-up door and a short delay on the inside door. We would install a keypad just inside the door to the house. I made it a selling point since most of our competitors didn't even bother protecting the roll-up door and those who did never bugged the inside one.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

There is a free program called DorGem210

formatting link
lets you configure your web cam for motion detection and save photos on your system and also to a remote FTP site. It can handle multiple web cams. So even if your computer is stolen you can access the FTP site with another computer and send the burglars pictures to the police. You should also upload all your serial numbers of computers, guns and anything else to a remote FTP site. There are some other free programs that do this too. AbleCam is another.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

The only time I've taken the pictures to the police dep't. was when a city code enforcement officer was walking around taking pictures of my property. He wasn't wearing a uniform and his truck was parked out of sight. After that episode it became mandatory for inspectors to be in uniform and ask for permission to enter private property. It created quite a stir in our little community of 3500 people. I really only have two 'live' cameras, and three 'dummies'. It's amusing that in most of the photos, people are looking right into the lens.

Reply to
1D10T

Per 1D10T:

How you do dat?

CQC? mControl? Something else?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Hard wire. Sat uplink. Parabolic dish to a remote receiver. Fiber optic cable. Tin cans on a string.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

It's good that the sign warns "video stored off-site".

A few years ago, a couple of Maine teen-agers broke into a boat shed at a boat repair shop. Their plan was to steal the radios from the boats to listen in on police frequencies. Half-way through the caper, they noticed the video camera.

What to do?

They burnt the boat shed to the water line!

Fortunately, the video was off-site and it took the local fuzz about two minutes to identify the culprits. Then it got bad.

One of the boats belonged to George H.W. Bush and the Secret Service got on the case. The 17-year old they let the state handle. After restitution, he got five years probation.

The 16-year old was charged with domestic terrorism and sentenced to the only maximum security federal prison for juveniles, somewhere in Pennsylvania, until he turns 25.

So there he is, locked up for nine years with (mostly) drunk Indians.

Crime don't pay.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmm. What federal law was that?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ummm. domestic terrorism?

Reply to
JImbo

You may remember the Constitution busting "Patriot Act"? Section 802 "domestic terrorism" gives the Feds the wide reaching authority to declare almost anything "domestic terrorism" which then allows them to investigate.

Reply to
George

An amendment found in the Patriot Act defines domestic terrorism as "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended? (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."

See Section 802 here:

formatting link
Which amends 18 USC 2331, the result of which is here:
formatting link

Reply to
HeyBub

None of the above. There's no camera either... just a sign. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

FTP is usually the easiest way, but there are streaming methods as well. The advantage to FTP is you can re start it easily. With streaming it can be harder if your connection is lost. For short distances a (upto several miles) a point to point wireless connection could also work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I actually do store a certain amount of video offsite. There are several methods, but the cheapest redundancy for most people IMO is to loop video to a 2nd recorder in a different part of the building.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That sounds good, but which federal statute would that be?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep. I'm awarte of the so-called "Patriot" Act, which we agree was nothing but the Bush administration's way of ignoring things they don't like, such as the US Constitution. The definition of domestic terrorism in the act follows:

(a) DOMESTIC TERRORISM DEFINED- Section 2331 of title 18, United States Code, is amended-- (1) in paragraph (1)(B)(iii), by striking `by assassination or kidnapping' and inserting `by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping'; (2) in paragraph (3), by striking `and'; (3) in paragraph (4), by striking the period at the end and inserting `; and'; and (4) by adding at the end the following: `(5) the term `domestic terrorism' means activities that-- `(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; `(B) appear to be intended-- `(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; `(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or `(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and `(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.'. (b) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 3077(1) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows: `(1) `act of terrorism' means an act of domestic or international terrorism as defined in section 2331;'.

Reading that I see nothing related to the story posted in this thread, which I suspect might be modern urban legend (aka bullshit).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Per Bob La Londe:

Is the camera is constantly creating the same video file and something else cuts it into chunks to FTP? Or does the camera start a new file every do often? Or am I totally off base?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I see you reach conclusions about the Patriot Act the same way you reach conclusions about the truthfullness of the story.

The original posting was (mostly) true. Here's how you can tell:

• I posted it, and
  • Doug went to the trouble to find the original story and posted two links:

formatting link
formatting link
Would you like some links regarding the actual workings of the Patriot Act?

Reply to
HeyBub

They make them up as they go along. Pointing your finger at one of the royal federal servants is now considered terrorism. If you send them a letter and talcum powder happens to get on it, you will be charged with terrorism.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.