How do you tell what kind of VPN when you're in a VPN session?

Maybe this is an obvious question, but how do you tell what kind of VPN you're running when you're in the middle of a VPN session?

Here's all I did to run a vpn session: 1. Install openvpn ($ sudo apt-get install openvpn) 2. Find a VPN config file on the net ($ firefox

formatting link
3. Start a VPN session ($ sudo openvpn --config that-file-you-found.ovpn)

Once the vpn session is running, I just want to know *what kind* of VPN it is that is running. Since I always use the config files from the same server, you'd think that server web page would tell me, but it doesn't seem to tell me what kind of vpn session it is that I'm running.

I will attach both a config file and a log file separately (because there is probably all that I need to know in those files, if I only knew what to look for).

Googling on what kinds of VPN there are, it seems that absolutely no web page gives you the information you really need. It's really amazing how many VPN "tutorials" you can read, none of which give you the answer to this question.

Based on reading dozens of VPN tutorial web pages, I can summarize:

1. Point-to-Point Tunneling Protocol (PPTP)
  2. Layer 2 Tunnelling Protocol (L2TP) in conjunction with IPsec
  3. SSL VPN (Secure Socket Layer)
  4. SOCKS

Since the only thing I do to run the VPN is run a given config file with openvpn, I'm not sure what kind of VPN it is that I'm running.

All I'm asking in this thread is the most basic of questions, which is *how* do I know what kind of VPN it is that I'm running, once I start a VPN session with openvpn?

REF:

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Mark Bannon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.