X10 -> UPB?

Hello,

Does anyone make a X10 to UPB translator? A friend has an alarm which can send X10 commands (Vista 20P) and is looking to do some lighting control. I would think that this would be somehow possible basically have a received X10 command translate into a UPB link transmission.

Thanks,

-James

Reply to
James Russo
Loading thread data ...

Many controllers allow a trigger of one protocol to trigger another.

There is no direct product outside of a pricey controller to do this.

I have heard unofficially that Simply automated may be doing this, but again, this could be a rumor as it was not from Simply Automated themselves.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

If you have a controller like a Stargate, you could set an event to issue a specific UPB ASCII command upon receipt of a specific X10 signal. (IF A1-ON Received, THEN send to . Kludgy perhaps but I haven't seen anything better. Anyone?

Reply to
BruceR

A better way (at least faster) would be to NOT use X10 at all; instead, use digital outputs and UPB I/O modules to trigger the UPB links.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Why do you say this? Here are some "comparable" products:

Leviton 4292 dimmer, 2-way, 1000W

formatting link
$90, currently on sale for $83

Switchlinc 2-way dimmer, 1000W

formatting link
$90, currently on sale for $80

Of course, they're not _exactly_ comparable, because the UPB switches have many more features (without even getting into the better reliability and speed of the underlying protocol). These include:

• The ability to report back not only load status, but signal and noise levels.
  • The ability to perform complete remote setup by reading or setting its internal registers, adding new scenes, etc.
  • The ability to program any action to a tap or double-tap of the switch
  • (SA or WM brands only) The ability to swap a faceplace to become a multi-rocker switch or a multibuttion keypad for scene control.

When I looked at the feature set I wanted, UPB turned out to be a much better value.

Even at Worthington dealer prices, the SA UPB switch is cheaper than the above Leviton.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

The UPB commands all seem to start with a control key e.g. Control-R). ASCII command implementations may not provide a way to send these.

I notice that one of the suppliers of UPB licensed hardware has a UPB controller with an Ethernet interface instead of RS232. That is progress. It's a shame that PCS didn't make the controller capable of receiving and sending X-10 - they use different sectors of the 60Hz cycle so it's technically possible. I think an Ethernet interface that did both UPB and X-10 would find a market. Of course, X-10 modules that used BPL for communication would find an even bigger market.

UPB protocol documentation shows four non-overlapping 160µS bit times in the last 333µS of each half cycle. They seem to have a warped view of time which might explain the inflated claims about how long UPB has been available.

"BruceR" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

Mark --

This is a good suggestion. Thanks.

-jr

Mark Thomas wrote:

Reply to
James Russo

Dave,

That would be a nice device. Package up the UPB or X10 command in a UDP packet and send it to the ehternet device. It would make it very easy to allow computer control from many different devices.

160us*4 = 640uS < 330uS. Umm.. So how does that work or were those docs really "preliminary". Is anyone actually using UPB? Seems like a nice technology especially with the Upstart software for system programming.

-jr

Dave Houst> The UPB commands all seem to start with a control key e.g. Control-R).

Reply to
James Russo

Can you give us a pointer to this UPB controller w/ an ethernet interface? I did a quick google search and did not find it. I (and I'm sure others) would be very interested in such a device.

Thanks, Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

James,

We have all of the UPB devices in stock and can certainly at least match Worthington's prices. In fact, it even comes out cheaper after factoring in shipping costs.

I'm expecting to see the 8 button keypads in in the next few weeks.

Thanks,

Martin Custer

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

I could not find details but this PDF indicates it exists and gives a model number.

formatting link
If you browse their web site (rather disorganized) you will also see references to a USB model.

Reply to
Dave Houston

That's my take, too. The cost of doing Ethernet is falling. Microchip has announced a single chip solution that sells for under $5 in OEM quantities.

formatting link
But I'm stll hoping someone will do this via HomePlug Ethernet over powerline so there's no need for wiring.

See p7 of...

formatting link
They may mean 4 x 40µS bit times - it's really ambiguous as drawn.

We haven't seen many user reports on UPB. Some people claim its been available for many years although the PCS web site would seem to contradict these claims. The first products reached retail distributors less than a year ago. They first showed up in Worthington's and SmartHome's 2005 catalogs.

The initial press release from PCS said it would add $4 to the cost of a module. The prices do not reflect that - it may be just another case of warp mathematics. ;)

Reply to
Dave Houston

It surely is more expensive then comparable products from Leviton, etc. The major benefit I see is the way that the system is configured using the UpStart software. Also, they have one device which can be confirued from 2 to 8 buttons with just a faceplate change and a re-program via the computer. They also allow a switch which is configured as an

8-button controller to also control a load, something I was not able to find from Leviton.

I have some UPB items on order from Worthington so I will let everyone know what they are like once I install them. They are on backorder though. :-/

take care,

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

According to this datasheet the computer control provides a contact closure? or was this just cut-n-paste error?

-jr

Dave Houst>

Reply to
James Russo

Reply to
Dave Houston

Mark,

We are both on the same page. I agree with all of your points. The UPB devices are a excellent value and are going to be what I install in my home. I just wish that the 8 button panels for the US2-30 would show up soon.

-jr

Mark Thomas wrote:

Reply to
James Russo

Martin,

When did you first have UPB devices available?

"AutomatedOutlet.com" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

I just sat down and started reading some of this. The diagram on page 7 is clear to me. The UPB data pulse is located within the last 800us of 1 half cycle. The location of 'noise' that 800us window determines whether a 00, 01, 10, or 11 (0,1,2,3) is sent. The window for those is 160us. The receiver basically samples at the middle of those 160us windows to determine two bits of data..

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Dave,

We've had the UPB devices available as long as Simply Automated has been making them.

Martin Custer

formatting link

Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

Huh?

The length of one 60Hz cycle is 16,667µS (1/60). The length of one-half cycle is 8,333µS (1/120). The UPB "window" starts at ZC+8000µS (or 333µS before the next ZC). The total "window" is 160µS, divided into four 40µS segments. The UPB pulses are expected in the first half of each 40µS segment.

Like I wrote, the drawing is confusing. ;)

Since the "pulses" are actually noise spikes which by definition are of very short duration (2-3µS), they probably merely look for any rising edge within the window.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.