X10 RF Link Command Translater

Based on comments here and some personal experience, I've been thinking about creating a X10 RF Link Command Translator.

Many of us have devices we would like to control with RF remotes, and other devices we would rather not have controlled accidentally. Sometimes these devices span several housecodes. While what I describe here is easily implemented in a high end controller, a PIC change to a RR501 could allow it to handle the translation.

Basically, the user would select any one housecode for the RF link. The modified RR501 would then translate RF housecode-unit pairs to any other housecode-unit X10 line commands. The RF link might also include a "security mode" where a 2 key input within a time window would be necessary to accept the command.

Any thoughts on how useful something like this would be?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp
Loading thread data ...

Jeff,

What I did with the BX24-AHT and what I had planned to duplicate with the CM15X was to allow users to determine the response to any RF command (including those from X-10 security devices). The default action was to just do a normal response but the user could select which housecodes to transceive and do things like have an 'A1 ON' RF command trigger a totally different PLC code (or macro). They could also do nothing for individual codes like the extra codes sent by EagleEyes, etc.

Also, with additional IR or RF receivers (of other frequencies) on an RS485 network you can get inputs from non-X10 devices. With other devices you might transmit RF codes for ceiling fans, etc.

There's really a lot of potential. I had envisioned it as a central switchboard for HA.

The BX24-AHT had a little less EEPROM left for this than the CM15A has available and I was us>Based on comments here and some personal experience, I've been thinking

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave,

I remember that capability in the BX24-AHT. Most high-end controllers can do it with macros. I'm wondering if there would be enough interest in a cheap revision to existing RR501s to make it worth the effort. Of course, much of that work could be ported to the CM15A mod.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Jeff,

But how do you make it user programmable? The RR501 has no serial >Hi Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave,

I've been using tricks to make controllers user programmable for years.

My thought was to use the toggle button as a program enable - maybe 2 quick presses. That would open a window during which it would look for a complete RF command, followed by a X10 line transmission (the reason for choosing the RR501). It would then store the translation for that pair. Acceptance could be acknowledge by relay clicks. This is sort of like the programmable remotes work.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Jeff,

OK. That's a lot like how the Insteon translator is programmed.

The PIC16F88 is p>Hi Dave,

Reply to
Dave Houston

| I've been using tricks to make controllers user programmable for years. | | My thought was to use the toggle button as a program enable - maybe 2 quick | presses.

My RR501 code enters programming when you hold the button down while applying power.

| That would open a window during which it would look for a complete | RF command, followed by a X10 line transmission (the reason for choosing the | RR501). It would then store the translation for that pair. Acceptance | could be acknowledge by relay clicks.

I use clacks that way; it seems to work well.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Can I vote YES again? Very useful, particularly if I could send "non-default" housecode commands from my UR24 on occasion.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That sounds great! Hopefully Jeff will carry on some part of this excellent design feature.

That could be useful. More and more things are coming with IR controls. This year I bought both a window AC and a space heater with IR controls.

Is it socketed or is this a solder job?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I'm not sure I have this right but isn't the RR501 hampered by an antenna design that is harder to modify than the CM15A? That, alone, would seem to make it a bad candidate for extension.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

True, the antenna on the RR501 is what it is. In my case that covers the house and anywhere in the yard where I wanted to check the sprinkler system. The only downside is that the RR501 is not socketed, so the chip has to be unsoldered.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

I plan to do this as a precursor to work on the CM15A mod, and hope to get started on it after the holidays.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

You can use a small isolation transformer with the RR501 antenna. Then it can be replaced with a better one without creating a shock hazard. The Toko B7T-456DS-1012 will work. And

formatting link
has some small 50-ohm SMD isolation transformers.

I fear when you >True, the antenna on the RR501 is what it is. In my case that covers the

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave,

We're back from the airport short one bag. There was a gate switch, and apparently some of the bags weren't told. USAir says it should arrive by midnight.

The isolation transformer sounds like a safe way to make the mod if necessary. I don't recommend the ceramic cap mod because I've seen a few go low resistance over the years.

This CM15A is still socketed.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Years ago before I became disabled I averaged about 2 flights per day. In the years before the name change, frequent flyers referred to them as "All Agony Airlines".

Good. There have been a few without sockets but there was no clear pattern as far as the date code stickers. Maybe they just were out of sockets those weeks.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.