Elk M1 panel?

Hello,

Anyone have the Elk M1 panel? I am looking to replace a home alarm system (DSC for which I don't have the master code) and do a little home automation. My plan is to use some UPB devices from simply automated for lighting control. Any Elk M1 users out there want to share their experiences with the panel?

Thanks,

-James

Reply to
James Russo
Loading thread data ...

Download the "ElkRP Demo" software for a good idea of the power and versatility of this unit. It does "everything".

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Have you considered HAI Omni series?

HAI makes a good competing product and offers touchscreens, lightswitches and thermostats, all coordinating wiht a soft blue light.

I have been watching ELK, but I am waiting to see some more interfaces like touchscreens, and third party support. I think in another year they are going to be a compelling product. I got the chance to have a long conversation with the president of Elk back in February at the EHExpo in Florida. Definitely a company to watch.

However, I cannot give you actual experience of the Elk.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Yes, I've played with the demo software and it seems very complete. I was also looking at the Aprilaire communicating thermostat. Seems like you can control the thermostat from the keypad as well. That would be very nice to be in the bedroom and be able to adjust the air, or lower then air when alarm is armed away, etc. I'm sure I'll kill more then a few weekends playing with this thing if I end up getting it.

Does anyone have the ethernet module yet? I know it was recently released.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

"Brett Griffin" wrote in

Well, dang, son, get on the phone and get them to lend you a product demo!! If you want to be considered a true pro in the field, you've got to know your own preferred product AND the competition's offerings inside and out.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

They will lend you a demo? I have not heard of that before. HAI would give demonstrations, in rare cases would we lend products, which basically meant we would not see it again.

Brett Griffin

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Loaner and demo programs *can* be run very efficiently and with little risk. Apparently your company didn't crack that code. I've been asked for a credit card number as ransom in case I did not return the unit (on occasion), and always have to sign for it, but it's to Elk's great advantage to convert young Skywalkers to their side of the Force. I'd just tell them who you are, where you've been, what you're doing (give them your Web URL) and that someone suggested you become familiar with them and that they might have an 90 day evaluation or loaner program. Promise them a detailed comparative writeup of the Elk v. HAI.

Many times, after the evaluation period expires, they offer to sell such units at cost rather than dealing with the return factors of shipping, insurance, and possible damage to the loaner unit although they may not offer it upfront, so-to-speak. It never hurt me to ask.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

DSC makes a pretty good alarm system. You may be able to reset the system to factory defaults & reprogram it yourself. If you have several DSC keyboards, just replacing the alarm controller may be a cost effective option. Then you can opt for a less expensive controller for automation

Reply to
Jeff Volp

Thanks. I'll take a closer look at the HAI Omni. What I really liked about the Elk was the software which I was able to demo programming it. It really gave you a good idea of what is possible. I'm sure the same is possible with the Omni as well.

-jr

Reply to
James Russo

Omni offers the software as well. One difference is the price. ELK software is bundled with the system if you buy it online. HAI charges a pretty penny for the software. Also, if you buy HAI Omni be sure that you order the dealer software. Their user software is not sufficient to program the whole system. It also costs, though not as much as the installer software.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Jeff,

Yes, I should look into it. The problem is if the lockout is enabled and I reset it, then I'm left with a deal panel since they zones will no longer be the correct type and I won't be able to change them. It's just the panel and one keypad. I guess I really have nothing to loose though..

However, I do like the integration with the alarm system so that rules like "when alarm armed away, raise AC to 80 degrees" or something like that...

-jr

Jeff Volp wrote:

Reply to
James Russo

Yes, I have an Elk M1 installed in our office. It's truely an amazing panel. I was so impressed with it that I also yanked out a 6 month old Caddx system out of my house and will be installing an Elk there as well.

Elk is a wonderful company to deal with. All of their products (except batteries) also come with a lifetime warranty.

Not only does the software have a great user interface for the programming, but, it also allows you to do firmware updates to the hardware components.

I'll be the first to tell you that I'm not an expert at alarm system installations like some others on this board are. If fact, I never really got my Caddx system working right. I'm sure it was pilot error but on many systems you really have to know what you're doing to install it correctly. With the Elk panel, not only did I get it installed correctly, but, I never even had to open the manual to do it. The diagram on the panel itself and the software was all I needed. My system at the office has 3 motion sensors, 1 door contact, 1 garage contact, an 8 zone wireless receiver (with added sensors), a siren, a strobe light, 2 speakers (for audio announcements) and a proximity reader.

I think it's also really neat that all of the GE Caddx wireless components will work with the Elk.

As far as touchscreen keypads, Elk is due to release one later this summer.

With the recent $170 Elk price reduction, I think it's a no brainer.

As you can tell, I really like the Elk panels. If anyone wants to talk to me about them, please also feel free to call or email me.

Martin Custer snipped-for-privacy@AutomatedOutlet.com

formatting link

817/539-1705
Reply to
AutomatedOutlet.com

Hi Martin,

Glad to hear you like the ELK panel. I've been an ELK Products dealer for many years and I've found them to be one of the best companies around. Please note though that the lifetime warranty does not apply to the M1 and its associated components. These carry a 2-year warranty which commences on the date of manufacture. This is intended to provide the end user with at least 18-months (and usually more) of warranty coverage.

I would caution DIYers not to follow suit. The ELK M1 is indeed easier to program than many other panels. However, it is a sophisticated piece of equipment and there are a lot of options to consider when programming. Also, it is extremely impoprtant to follow the keypad and databus connection instructions to the letter. They're not difficult to follow but deviations can cause erratic behavior.

Not just the Caddx components, but also the entire line of ITI sensor/transmitters also work with the ELK M1 system.

ELK, like almost every other manufacturer in the industry, sometimes has difficulty keeping projected release dates. I've learned to take all future product release date promises with a shaker of salt. :^)

FTR, I'm not entirely unbiased about ELK's M1-Gold system. I also have one in my office and I also sell them online to DIYers.

Regards, Robert L Bass

=============================>

Bass Home Electronics

2291 Pine View Circle Sarasota · Florida · 34231 877-722-8900 Sales & Tech Support
formatting link
Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Thanks for the reply. It sure looks like a very nice panel. I've been playing with the demo software. I need to figure out exactly which modules I would need and where to get it from. I am thinking that I will just start off with the panel and two keypads..

I have some questions:

Since this is a retrofit I have two keypads homerun'd to the panel. I know a bit about RS485, and I think this will be fine. Each keypad will be an end of the RS485 bus with the panel being in the middle. Just terminate each end. Any other modules on the bus would need to connect to the keypad locations and then be teminated (removing the termination from the keypad).. Do I have this right?

With the ELK-M1XSP connected to an aprilaire 8870 communicating thermostat, It seems that you need two other pieces of equipment. What other thermostats should I consider? Also, the ELK-M1XSP is a 3-in-1 device, but it really just provides one additional serial port.

With a termostat connected, will I be able to view thermostat information and control the termostat from the Elk keypad mounted in the bedroom?

The M1 panel has one serial port on-board. Can this be used to control serial port lighting devices like PCS-UPB or X10?

Thanks,

-jr

AutomatedOutlet.com wrote:

Reply to
James Russo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.