Insteon Compatability with X-10

Wow, great discussion on my other post. THANKS you guys!

In reading over Insteon's white paper (please reference

formatting link
) I am confused about how compatible Insteon really is with older X-10 items (it says Insteon devices can switch to X-10 mode) and how to "address the older X-10 to Insteon" devices

The note below is from the white paper.

1.. At a minimum, X10 compatibility means that INSTEON and X10 signals can coexist with each other on the powerline without mutual interference. INSTEON-only powerline devices do not retransmit or amplify X10 signals. But X10 compatibility also means that designers are free to create hybrid INSTEON/X10 devices that operate equally well in both environments. By purchasing such hybrid devices, current users of legacy X10 products can easily upgrade to INSTEON without making their X10 investment obsolete. I am NOT a present X-10 user (so my question may be a bit "dumb" - sorry)

Here is my question:

How would you set up the addressing so that a security panel (Ademco Vista

20) that could send out X-10 signals to the proper Insteon device? I read/understood how Insteon devices "learn to recognize" each other, but with "X-10 signaling to Insteon", I am not sure how that would be set up.
Reply to
gymfolks
Loading thread data ...

You would use the X10 to Insteon Translator. It "hears" the X10 signal and sends out the appropriate Insteon signal to activate an Insteon device that's been registered tot the translator. I'm using it now to translate from the Stargate Controller to Insteon.

Reply to
BruceR

Read through Bruce Robin's thread(s) named...

Insteon Transmitter Insteon Translator (title corrected from transmitter)

He is using a (beta) Insteon translator that sits on the powerline and repeats *some* X-10 codes as Insteon and vice versa. The translator needs to be programmed for the codes you want it to translate and you need to provide delays (if used in macros) to prevent collisions.

There are others who are working on devices that act like a TW523 on the TTL side but send/receive Insteon on the PLC side. These will let existing devices designed to use a TW523 work with Insteon devices. Whether they will be sophisticated enough to send one or the other depending on programming will probably depend on the manufacturer.

Note that the compatibility has some limitati>Wow, great discussion on my other post. THANKS you guys!

Reply to
Dave Houston

Yes, I am building new and hope to avoid X-10 completely (except for my alarm panel - Ademco Vista 20P -.... I like it for other reasons). Since the alarm panel transmits X-10 via a plug in transformer, is it correct to assume that I could plug that transformer DIRECTLY into the "X-10 to Insteon translator" (link below)

formatting link
...and have GREAT performance because X-10 is immediately converted to Insteon?

Would there be any ill effects from X-10 signal (possibly passing through the translator)? Or would the translator "absorb" all the X-10 signal and just send out Insteon (remember that single source of X-10 signal would be coming from the transformer that would be plugged directly into the Insteon translator).

Reply to
gymfolks

I'll let Bruce confirm this but I think you will plug the translator into an outlet and then plug the Ademco transformer either into the "Always On" outlet on the translator or into another nearby outlet.

The X-10 signals will reach the powerl>Yes, I am building new and hope to avoid X-10 completely (except for my

Reply to
Dave Houston

Dave has it right. However, when I had an Ademco panel with X10 in my old house I found it to be, shall we say, "less than robust" in it's operation. I use a Caddx panel now with a serial connection to the Stargate. There is a way to isolate the X10 from the powerline and I plan try an experiment later this week. I'm going to plug the TW523 (similar to the Ademco transmitter) into the Translator and plug both the translator and an RF repeater into a power strip that is plugged into two piggybacked X10 filters to keep the X10 from getting on the powerline. However, Dave mentioned that others are working on a TTL level translator (sign me up!) so you could take the output of the Ademco that goes to the X10 transmitter and plug it into the translator.

Reply to
BruceR

Suppose you wanted to take it a step further... Ademco/Honeywell Vista

20P + INSTEON + Macintosh. The latest version of Indigo supports INSTEON. Too big a stretch?
Reply to
Aeolius

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you mean...

Have the Ademco 20P send X-10 to the SmartHome translator which then sends Insteon to the Insteon interface connected to the Mac, the answer is yes. However, SmartHome has apparently decided to discontinue the translator so it's a moot issue.

Besides, Insteon is 120V/60Hz only at this point. By the time it's available for 230V/50Hz there may be other ways to do what you want.

Reply to
Dave Houston

But Insteon supports X-10 pretty well (not perfect, but pretty well), so not having a translator is not really a big loss.

Also, the translator isn't dead. SmartHome has made it open source, free for anyone to sell or develop, you just have to be a registered developer. The translator is just another app that can run inside the Insteon PowerLinc (just like the timer app).

Reply to
none

Reply to
Dave Houston

Well, Dave, you're the only one that mentioned Australia.

(just because one guy posted with a spoofed .au adress doesn't mean he is in Australia, and if the guy really is in Australia he's probably already going to know that 120V/60Hz powerline automation isn't going to work there)

Reply to
none

mean he

already going to know that 120V/60Hz powerline automation isn't going

there)-

Fair enough. I'm posting from the states. I do end up on the local mirror for the IRC chat from time to time, though. Dunno why it gave my addy a .au suffix, though. I just googled for any links to Ademco/Honeywell and INSTEON, and here I am ;)

Reply to
Aeolius

It also gave you an NNTP Posting Host at a legitimate Australian ISP. I've gotten in the habit of checking the email address and NNTP Posting Host (especially when the question is unclear) because a high percentage of posts here are from Europe and elsewhere and there have been a few Insteon related questions from places that do not have 120V/60Hz.

It's still not clear what you are asking. The Insteon interface supported by Indigo (2414U) sends/receives X-10 (as does the 2414S) so it will "hear" the output of the Vista 20P. I don't know whether Indigo can then act as a translator, sending an Insteon signal in response to an X-10 input - you'll have to ask that question of the Indigo developers.

OTOH, if you want the Ademco to control an Insteon device without going through the 2414U/Indigo/Mac path, you'll need a translator and I can only give you the same advice I gave the OP - follow Bruce Robin's thread on the translator. There are some problems that can arise when the X-10 signal is on the powerline so the best method of translation is to do it at a higher level before the X-10 signal gets to the powerline.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.