x10 control from computer

I am looking for a neat soultion to send and recieve x10 commands on my computer (windows machine but might move to linux at some point). I would like to code my home automation using X10 from python. I bought the usb powerlinc from smarthome which is almost useless (since i tried HCA/girder/Smarthome manager) but none allows me to code stuff in python (recieve and send commands).

Does anyone know what is the easiest way to do this? What equipment should I buy?

Thanks,

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

On Windows you're pretty much screwed when it comes to developing your own x10 software, especially with the Powerlinc. There are Python libraries (PyXal, PyX10) for accessing some serial x10 controllers, but they're mostly buggy and unmaintained. Your best, and really only option, is to use the x10dev/wish drivers

formatting link
on Linux. This provides Linux device drivers for several popular x10 controllers including the Powerlinc, and allows nearly any programming language to easily receive and send x10 commands by reading and writing to a /dev/x10 file. I also just bought a USB Powerlinc and this is how I too am planning to control it with Python.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spencer

Hi Chris,

Thanks a lot for ur help.

Chris Spencer wrote:

Why does one need a kernel modification to work with Powerlinc? Cant it be just an application library? I have no clue why people have to tinker with the kernel to make a powerlinc work on a machine. On windows there are applications that talk to this device.

If the software comes as a kernel patch (like wishx), or is getting inside the kernel, more than likely it will not be maintained for the latest kernels and at some point the developer will give up on trying to follow the kernels that chage every day.

I think we need to find something better to do this.

Best,

Reply to
John

I agree, kernel patches suck. However, read the site more closely. Although the driver does compile against kernel headers, the new x10dev driver doesn't use a kernel patch. In fact, I believe the source includes a script to automatically generate an RPM for easy installation. I doubt you'll find a better way to access x10 devices from *any* programming language.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spencer

If you want to get around having to compile x10 device drivers, consider emailing the author at snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com and ask him to try and get the drivers included with the kernel. This would essentially mean plug and play with the USB Powerlinc on Linux. No compiling anything. There's apparently a rigorous process to follow in order to met the kernel's standards, but he's willing to try if enough people show interest.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Spencer

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.