Ir signals via X10

No such beast exists.

IR distribution is usually handled via devices like the GC-100 from Global Cache or through IR networks like those sold by Xantech. Other options exist but none work without having some sort of additional wiring or coax add-on devices installed.

As in, nothing will push IR over powerline to in-room emitters. At least none I've ever seen. If they existed, at a reasonable price, I'd certainly be interested in making use of them.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99
Loading thread data ...

Not a problem for me as I use a Russound CAV6.6 to handle the deck. The IR pickup on the A-KP2 that serves the deck is reasonably useful in most situations. So I can just point the IR remote at it and it'll handle routing the signals to the active zone.

I think what the OP wanted was the ability to SEND the signals over UPB (or powerline) to a remove device. That's a bit different and potentially quite a bit more complicated. Inbound IR signals only have to be routed to the known active source (or broadcast to all source devices). Outbound would have to know which room (or output zone) is desired and what signals are appropriate for it. 6 rooms controlling one DVD player only needs to know the codes for the one player (not 6 different in-room TVs).

Sense or not, everything uses it and I don't see that going away anytime soon. IR has proven itself quite useful for the majority of home AV needs. It's only when we start wandering into the really small subset of automation inclined households that other solutions are worth considering.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Hello Bill,

Same here. It is a drag to watch a VCR tape outside on the deck, having to run in when a commercial appears. Then the other person outside has to holler when the commercial is over so the person inside can release the FFW button.

Thing is, the remote would have be able to learn or have stored all the info for the various gizmos. The X-10 universal remote has some of that in there so theoretically it could be done. But as you said, it probably hasn't.

I believe there are RF-IR links from other systems but I can't remember who sold them. Quite frankly, sometimes I wonder why AV gear still uses IR to remote control it. Doesn't make much sense.

Regards, Joerg

formatting link

Reply to
Joerg

Hi all,

I am in the process of building a small form factor PC to install homeseer on in order to control X10 gear via my X10 computer interface (I specifically want to drive it with the PC - not stored commands in the controller).

I want to use the pc to send a command over the UPB to a controller that will convert the signal back to native IR and send it through emitters fixed to the IR controlled devices (home cinema).

I know homeseer supports IR in one way or another, though I am not sure what I need to do.

I do NOT want to store IR macros in a controller at the other end and just call the corresponding ID - I want it to be driven from the PC and programmed at the PC preffereably using IR hex codes or something like a pronto....

Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

Thanks all for your time.

Samhain

Reply to
Samhain

Don't know that the Ocelot can be used from Homeseer. Check the homeseer website forum for more info.

You'd have to add wire to carry the IR signals from teh ocelot to the placed you want it sent.

I use homeseer with a USB-UIRT to send IR signals.

Reply to
wkearney99

Guys,

OK thanks for your replies - MUCH appreciated.

I ahve found an ocelot controller or something to that name which Homeseer interfaces to, to send IR commands somewhere, some how, though I am not sure how or when etc...

formatting link
It has a zoned IR module u can add on (emitters) though I cannot work out exactly how that would work?

I also noticed in the homeseer docco OR somewhere about on the web that you cna use this with Homeseer to send IR but I cant find out anything more specific than that.

I know Homeseer sends IR and the ocelot is an X10 interface isn't it ?

Hmm there is so much information about, yet so little concise information :-(

If u guys can help out it'd be great!

- Samhain

Reply to
Samhain

All the equipment is in the same rack. I send all signals in that same rack. I do not send and IR to other rooms. Doing so greatly complicates things as most devices and software do not expect to be handling multiple outputs for IR signals.

Reply to
wkearney99

Do u output the IR directly or do u run it from another room - put another way, is your PC local to your IR controlled devices?

Reply to
Samhain

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.