Watchguard SOHO 6

I have a Watcguard SOHO 6 that is not pulling a DHCP address from my DSL modem. I am using PPPOE, once the connection is established the firewall should get a DHCP address from my ISP. I have tried this firewall with a cable modem with the same effect, I have updated the firmware to the latest

6.4.1 3-25-05, I have even went as far as to downgrade then upgrade the firmware. I have ftp'd to the box and deleted the wg.cfg file, and re-flashed the firmware, still no luck.

This is as far as I ever get with DHCP or PPPOE:

External Network Mode DHCP Client IP Address 0.0.0.0 Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 Gateway 0.0.0.0 MAC 00907F-13D963

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would have thought that after clearing everything out, resetting, deleting the wg,cfg file nothing would be left as far as settings but I can still see my PPPOE connecting info which leads me to believe that the firewall is not properly letting go of settings.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

TIA Jeff

Reply to
JeffD
Loading thread data ...

Your ISP is not using MAC authentication with the first device behind the modem?

You can also use the ISP's static IP(s) and configure the WG to use them.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Since the unit fully supports PPOE and I've got a few in the field working, why not contact your ISP and ask them why PPOE is not working?

Reply to
Leythos

Just for the hang of it, what happens if you change on both the main computer and the Soho 6 from auto negotiate to 10 Mb/sec half duplex in both cases?

{eter

Reply to
Peter Georgeu

That won't work, as you can't define the interface speed/duplex on the SOHO series.

If you can't get a PPOE connection, then it could be that the device (ISP router) needs to be set to BRIDGE MODE, and then PPOE will work properly.

Reply to
Leythos

I actually found that tip from someone on the Watchguard forums with a Soho 6 who had a similar problem as the original poster. On page 35 of the Soho manual it states:

"The SOHO 6 automatically uses the highest possible link speed (100Mbps full-duplex) for the external network by default. If the highest speed is unavailable, the SOHO 6 tries slower speeds until it establishes a connection. However, you can manually set the connection speed of the external network. Before you set the connection speed, you need to know whether your connection is full-duplex or half-duplex...."

This was just an idea.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Georgeu

Verizon DSL modem has to be set to bridge mode for a router to work in PPPOE.

Reply to
Gary

There is your problem right there. Upgrade to a DSL service that does not requite PPPoE, even if it costs more money, and that will solve a lot of the problems. A lot of router/firewall solutions, both hardware and software, do not support PPPoE. So call your DSL provider and upgrade to a level of service that does not require PPPoE.

Reply to
Charles Newman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.