Zone Alarm - allow deny - remember this setting....?

....everytime I open software a window pops up saying 'Allow' or DENY' - a tick box say 'remember this setting' - I tick the box to remember and allow to continue. Next time i open the software the Allow/Deny comes up again with an unticked 'remember this setting'. I tick it again to remember and proceeed... Why does it not remember my settings and keeps asking my to allow/deny.... Its becoming a continual nuisance......

Reply to
advid
Loading thread data ...

Try uninstalling ZA , rebooting and then emptying your temp files and Recycled Bin and then install ZA again, with your anti-virsus turned off until after you finish and reboot again.

Reply to
Buffalo

Zone Alarm no longer holding its settings, regardless of version, is ususally indicative of a corrupt ZA database. Here is a "generic" set of instructions for refreshing/rebuilding a corrupt ZoneAlarm database:

[Please note that this will remove your program permissions and Local Zone settings, so you may want to make note of them. However, re-establishing them is a simple process. You will be prompted again for program access for all the applications that you use to access the local network or Internet.]

- Step 1. Open the ZoneAlarm program, go into the Overview Preferences tab and turn off "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".

- Step 2. If you are running Windows 95, 98, ME, or 2000, reboot your system into either Safe Mode or to a Command Prompt. The method is determined by your OS, but most systems will boot into safe mode by either pressing F8 at the beep or holding the CTRL key during bootup. You should now have no ZoneAlarm processes running on your system.

- Step 3. Open the Internet Logs directory (in 95/98/ME this will be "C:\\Windows\\Internet Logs", in NT and 2000 it will be "C:\\Winnt\\Internet Logs", in Windows XP it could be either of these folders), where you will find a file named "iamdb.rdb" and a file named after your computer with the ".ldb" extension. Delete both of these files. If "backup.rdb" exists, delete it also.

- Step 4. Make sure that you EMPTY your Recycle Bin BEFORE rebooting back into normal mode.

- Step 5. You will need to start ZoneAlarm manually. (Click "Start," "Programs," "Zone Labs" and either "ZoneAlarm" or "Zone Labs Security"). ZoneAlarm will start up again with a fresh database. Each program should ask for access again if the files were properly deleted.

- Step 6. Be sure to RECHECK the "Load ZoneAlarm at startup".

Reply to
dak

thanks for the info guys... have re-set and all seems well

Reply to
Advid

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.