Windows file sharing through NAT

Are you talking about on a LAN, or over the internet? You shouldn't need to forward ports on a LAN setup.

Reply to
optikl
Loading thread data ...

Which ports must be forwarded on firewall using NAT to share Win 95 and Win XP folders?

Reply to
jureq

First, if I understand you correctly, what you want to do is setup two computers in different locations and then expose file sharing across the internet between the two machines?

If the above is true, it's a very bad method to use to share files. You will be exposing your systems to the entire Internet for all the world to see/find you.

If you could explain your need in a little more detail we could present a better solution for you.

Assuming that you are running Windows XP home and Windows 95, both of them behind NAT routers, your best option is to setup a open-source passive FTP solution (read that as FREE). SourceForge has a server version of FileZilla that you can run on the XP box, setup FTP users and restrictions, and then you only need to expose the FTP ports through your NAT router on the XP box.

This will let you move files from the 95 box back and forth. I don't think the server version will let you run it on W95, so you need to have the Wxp box act as the server and the W95 box will put/fetch files from it.

You can learn more here

formatting link
I would NEVER expose the file sharing ports directly to the Internet.

Reply to
Leythos

You definitely don't want to offer your hard drive to the hole internet. If you need windows file service between two (or more)locations, build a VPN using IPSeC.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Kueter

I suppose that openinig ports for one single source IP address will be enough

Reply to
jureq

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.