File Sharing Problems

Let me begin by thanking anyone who can shed any light at all on my networking problem. I have a typical wireless network with the Linksys WRT54G as the gateway/router. I'm able to have nice internet connections on all computers, and can even share some files, but the majority will not share. For example: I have two folders on each computer named "schematics", and they are shared with read and write privileges. The folder on the remote computer contains several files, but for the sake of the discussion one is named bilevel.gif and the other bmeter1.gif. I can copy the first file to the remote computer, but the second throws an error message stating, "Cannot copy bmeter1: Access is denied. Make sure disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use." The disk is far from full and not write-protected, nor is the file in use.

I do not believe that the wireless equipment is at fault, as some files will transfer, and others will not. The same thing happens on a Windows Me computer sometimes connected to the computer, but let's not complicate things now. I have legal copies of Windows XP Professional with SP1a and all later patches applied. I do not use SP2, as it is not compatible with the motherboard on this P3 system.

Any input appreciated. Thank you!

Reply to
Blaine Hamrick
Loading thread data ...

I had a similar kind of problem for a long time and the share on one machine flat-out would not allow a file to be copied to it with *Access denied blah blah". The share was using Authenticated Users group on the share that was set by NTFS at the folder level and all other accounts were deleted off the share. That's the way it was for the shares on other machines where could copy files successfully.

I finally went to the Permission button on the share screen for the folder and it had the Authenticated Users with Full Access and it also had the Everyone Group with read only access and that was what was giving the Access Denied problem. I deleted the Everyone account and things were OK after that.

Maybe, you have something similar as I think you have some kind of permissions issue.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Reply to
Blaine Hamrick

"Blaine Hamrick" wrote in news:bYiGe.15895$dM3.7847@trnddc04:

Simple File sharing is disabled on my XP Pro machines.

A share in your case is any folder on the XP Pro O/S that you have designated to be a *share* so that another machine on the network can see the folder and access it to copy, move or delete files in the folder, based on the permissions for the account on the share using NTFS.

Let's keep it simple.

Yes, if the machines are using XP Pro then you should disable Simple File Sharing.

You can use Explorer and make a directory called *Transfer* and then right-click it and select Sharing and Security assuming the XP O/S is using NTFS.

You'll go to the Sharing tab and set the folder to *Allow Sharing* and go to the Permissions button and set the user account and permissions for the account. I delete all accounts showing but the account just added.

Then you should go to the Security Tab and add the account you added at the Permissions button giving those same permissions that were given for the account at the Permissions button. You should delete all other accounts from the Security tab screen but the account you just added.

When you comeback to Explorer looking at the directory tree view, the shared folder should have the little hand under it to show that it's a

*Shared* folder.

See if you can copy some files from one machine to the other. Use some files that you're not having problems with and see if it works.

This may help you.

formatting link
This may help too and take note on using the Authenticated Users Group on

*Shares*, which means you add a new user through User Manager on the O/S but the only account you use on the *Share* is Authenticated Users so that you don't set that user account up on the *Share* and *only* users with an account on the machine can access the folder from another machine using the same user account.

formatting link
A little extra

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.