File sharing and mapped drives

In WinXP & PRO C: drive is shared on a folder by folder basis, you must mark each folder you wish to share as shared. Drives D to Z + A can be shared on a drive basis. These drives can be mapped but not C drive.

Reply to
Teddybare
Loading thread data ...

Hi all,

Just setup my PCs & laptop to use a new Zyxel 660HW wireless router. All works fine and each PC (once added into the MAC table) is able to access the internet just fine, problem is I can't seem to browse the workgroup or map drives. Not tried the printer sharing yet.

This is what I have done so far, if I've missed anything then pls let me know.

Win XP pro on all PCs Dynamic IP addresses assigned by routers DHCP function Allowed access based on wireless network cards MAC address. Not got WEP working yet... is this a problem? Each PC is in the same workgroup. PCs can all PING each other. Shared folders on each PC (in fact I've shared the C drive whilst setting up) Enabled 'File & printer sharing' in network settings. Tried mapping without browsing (\\\\packard\\c$)

I know this is bound to be something obvious.

Thanks in advance

Dave.

Reply to
blah

You can't just mark C drive as shared and access all files and folders on the drive. Each folder that you wish to share HAS to be marked as shared.

Reply to
Teddybare

I have shared other folders further down the directory tree and still can't see them.

I get no error or warning when I try to share the entire C drive.

Dave.

Reply to
David Gray

Thinking about this a bit more, are you saying that it's not possible to share the default c$ share?

Dave

Reply to
David Gray

Ok thanks for that, I've now got shared sub folders on each PC.

Still can't browse the folders using the Map Network drive function and I'm using the same credentials on all machines.

Dave

Reply to
blah

Of course you can set up C: as a share no different to any other folder, you share the root. In fact it's already shared by default as C$.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.