File/Printer Sharing problem

Hi

I can no longer access my desktop computer from my laptop but I can access the laptop from desktop. My router is installed on the desktop and I am able to get on the internet from the laptop.

I have renamed the workgroup and computers numerous times, turned off all software firewalls and Norton Internet security on both. My router is a D-link DGL4300, laptop is a dell6000. I have WPA security set up.

Any suggestions??

Reply to
marspinball
Loading thread data ...

do you get any kind of error messages?

try using UNC pathing such as "\\\\computername"

can you ping it?

what are you trying to access?

Smowk

Reply to
smowk

Although the link is talking about XP Home and a direct connection, which you may not be using XP, NWlink has worked well for me in F & P Sharing when I was into wireless and it has also helped people I have mentioned NWlink for an all wire network where the user flat-out couldn't share resources between XP machines. I have used NWlink on Win

2K machines and wireless too back in the day with wireless between wire and wireless machines on the network that wouldn't work otherwise.

formatting link
Maybe NWlink will get you out of your problem.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What I am trying to do is access shared folders on the desktop from the laptop (I can do the reverse). It used to work when I got the laptop and originally set it up.

The laptop has XP home and desktop has XP professional.

When I try to access shared items, that are visible on the laptop, I get an access denied message. I have a whole shared hard disk on the desktop that is mapped as drive "Z" on the laptop but can't access it.

Reply to
marspinball

I had that problem with two XP Pro machines where one could access the shared folder on all machines with full access while the other machines could access the shared folder on the one machine but could not create files or delete files on the share -- Access Denied. On the XP pro machine, you can un-check Simple File Sharing and you can use Explorer and go to the share in the file tree and right-click and go to the Sharing and Security/Permission button. For me, there were two accounts, Authenticated User that I like to use on shares that had full access rights on the share and the Everyone User that was deleted off the share with all other accounts except for the Authenticated User not being deleted when you take the path of right-clicking a folder selecting Properties and the Security Tab. With the Share Permission button path, the Everyone group was still there and the account had read only access that overrode the Authenticated User account. I delete Everyone in that area and my problem was solved.

I think you have some kind of account permission issue or conflict.

I like to use Authenticated User group on the share on the XP pro machines because an account has to be created on the machine for the user on another machine can access the share on the machine. Otherwise, access is denied. I did that with my wireless network when I was into wireless in case my wireless was hacked with someone joining my network and being all over the top of my machines.

Authenticated User group and other security measures are being talked about in the link.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

"Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP"

See "Home Networking How-To Center"

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.