Wireless File and Printer Sharing?

I have two desktops hardwired to a D-Link DI-624 wireless router that is connected to a cable modem. I have Internet access and file and printer sharing between the two.

I now want to add a Notebook that has wireless capability to the network. I ran the setup wizard and provided a Workgroup name and also enabled file and printer sharing. I am now able to get on the Internet and and can see the folders of one of the desktops. However, I get an error message when I try opening the folders saying that i may not have permission.

What have I missed?

Reply to
mrhunny
Loading thread data ...

What operating systems are involved?

Reply to
optikl

"mrhunny" hath wroth:

Nothing. It's working. You will probably find the same effect if you try it with a wired ethernet connection.

You neglected to supply the operating systems involved, but I'll guess XP Home. The easy fix to get XP to cease complaining is setup identical user accounts on both machines. The passwords should also be the same on both machines.

You also didn't state the error message so I can't supply a specific solution. See if these help:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's as simple as your user account doesn't have the permission to access that share. Or it could be another account on the share like the Everyone Group account that's superseding the permissions of your user account on the share as an example, which it doesn't have the same rights, even if you're using an account that has full access rights on the share or you're using an account that has Admin rights. They can be superseded by the permissions that an account like the Everyone Group account has on the share.

If you're using XP Home and make a new share other than the one that's provided by XP, you might be running into some kind of permissions conflict.

You cannot on XP Home disable Simple File Sharing so that you can right-click the share folder and go to Sharing and use the Permissions button to see the accounts on the share and their permissions, which I was able to do on XP pro and was able to go to the share and use the Permission button.

What I saw on XP Pro on the share was the conflict with the Authenticated User Group account that had full access rights and the Everyone Group account that only had Read and List directory rights, which was preventing files from being written to the share with *access denied* on the share. I deleted the Everyone account off the share.

You cannot see the user account permissions on a share by right-clicking, selecting Properties, and Security Tab to see the user account permissions on the folder, as folder and share permissions are two different things.

So in some kind of way, you have some kind of permissions conflict on the share if you're getting *access denied*.

Here is some other things that you might want to do on all your machines to better secure them as someone can join your wireless network and be all over the top of your machines wire or wireless *hacking* them.

formatting link
The basics

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

But you can do that with XP Home if you boot to safe mode.

Ditto

Reply to
DanR

That's good to know. That also means that you can delete all accounts off the share and only use the Authenticated User Group on the share, which is the only account that should be on the share.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I'm networked now and the culprit was the pre-installed Norton Security Suite that I just ended up removing entirely.

The Links provided much reading and a better understanding of Networking in general. I had neglected to state that the OS involved was XP Pro on the two hardwired desktops and XP media Edition on the wireless connected notebook.

Thanks to all that responded.

Reply to
mrhunny

All it would take is you understanding the personal FW solution and telling it open the Windows Networking ports on the FW, which should be a simple setting with the PFW..

You should try to implement some kind of security aspects on the XP O/S with wireless, as someone can join your network and be all over the top of your machines wired or wireless.

formatting link
You maybe able to go into Safe Mode on the media Edition and disable Simple File Sharing and set Share folder permissions of it's like the Home addition.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.