Trust ip-address in a specific folder?

Hello all,

Is there a firewall in which a certain ip-address can be set as "trusted" for a specific folder on the hard disk of a pc? The firewall I know (Norton IS) can set ip-addresses as trusted, but that goes for the entire pc (that is if the folders have been set to "shared" in Windows of course), not in a specific folder as far as I know.

Reason for this question: We have a home network (with neighbours) with 5 pc's including one backup pc. I want one pc (let's say pc A) in the home network to be able to reach only one folder (let's say folder A) on the backup pc. Therefore I created a user+password for the user of pc A and gave rights to this user to only folder A on the backup pc. But now the problem comes up: there is also an admin user that has full rights on the entire backup pc. What I want is that the admin user can only access folder A when logging in from pc A. This will increase the integrity of the "system". Since I am part of this system (I happen to be the admin-user) I do not want to be able to access folder A, not even as an admin-user, only when logging in from pc A. Clear? :-))

Reply to
Wim
Loading thread data ...

First, you are looking at it wrong - Admins have access to all files/folders, even if you take permission away from them they can regain it at any time.

If you want to share a folder based on a user name, then you want FTP.

No firewall is going to limit users to a FOLDER on a node, that's the function of File/Folder permissions.

Reply to
Leythos

It is not sensibly possible to have constraints for administrative users. You'll better forget that.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thanks guys. I will forget about this. In fact I already did. The solution I found in order to NOT let the admin be able to read the files in the neighbours backups is to create encrypted backups. Every neighbour knows only his own decrypt-password. The admin can reach the files but not read them. Works fine for me.

Reply to
Wim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.