Where to put a computer with Public Address?

Hi, i have to publish a computer with a public IP, for remote assistance and help desk purpouse.

They want that i configure this computer with a public IP, without natting its address, (i mean, i want to configure that Public IP directly on that machine).

I currently use IPCop as firewall applicance, only RED INTERFACE and GREEN INTERFACE are in use.

Where should i put that computer?

1) On DMZ? Can i set a public IP to DMZ, and let IPCOP route packets (without doing NAT), to that pc?

2) Should i attach that computer to the WAN interface of the firewall? Let's say, the WAN network of IPCOP will then contain ROUTER_LAN,IPCOP_WAN and PC interfaces?

Thanks you in advance, Simioni Marco

Reply to
M. Simioni
Loading thread data ...

M. Simioni skrev:

I would put a router on the wan side of Ip-Cop and plug the machine on that one. This way you will have you're privet system intact and the public machine separated from you. I would not make use of DMZ, but Config. the router only too let legal traffic too the public machine and all the other traffic too the Ip-Cop. /Anders

Reply to
Anders

What does "publish" mean? Exactly!

All you probably need is to buy a static IP (a small block of 4 or 8 is often the minimum) and then assign one public IP to your router. Then forward the required ports. Probably, the point is, that you need a public static IP presence on the Internet to allow them to get to your machine, right?

-Frank

Reply to
Frankster

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.