Cannot get Cerverus ftp server to work

Hello,

I want to un an ftp server Cerberus to be exact in passsive mode cause in active mode i cant cause the client's firewall would most probably block the initiating data conenction attempt.

So i open port 21 and poer 20 for comamnds and data respectively.

Users can login with:

user: Nikos pass: 4uonly

but they cant get a listing of the files that i have placed inside ftproot folder.

Why? i mean i have port 20 opend for data communication dont i? and i have also forwarded 21 and 20 ports from router => 10.0.0.1 which is the host that the ftp server is runnign on.

So, the clients cant see any listing and therefore can get any file.

Can someone put some light into the subject plz? Thank you.

Reply to
Νίκος
Loading thread data ...

Have you check the browser options that the option *View FTP site in Folder view* is set?

I recall having to do something to the FTP folder itself that needed something set, when I was using IIS. I can't recall and you may want to look into that for your FTP server.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Permissiona re fine, i test with other people form their command line but hey egt no litsings.

they try it as: telnet nikos.no-ip.org 21

It isnt soemthign about explorer its soemthign about ports and port ranges that i miss.

Is data port 20 doing its job?

Reply to
Νίκος

If the port is forwarded, then it should work.

You can try it from a machine on your LAN using the LAN IP I would think.

You can also try it from a browser to see it things are working too. The browser should be set to PASV and that folder view I was talking about.

You should test from a LAN environment first, because if you cannot access it on the LAN, then no way from the WAN.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

i cant it wont ebven ask for my suer and pass

just the welcome information.

please try it too... an tell em what you see.

Reply to
Νίκος

Well, you didn't tell what the IP was so I looked at your post headers and it had 83.171.225.52 and I used that IP with IE and got a login screen.

You do know what anonymous user-id and psw is as opposed to a specific user-id and psw is about to logon to the site?

Reply to
Duane Arnold

yes but i dont think you can login aninymously user: Nikos pass: 4uonly

Reply to
Νίκος

I got a permission error on the FTP folder itself using the user-id and psw you gave, which means I had logged on to the server but the user-id doesn't have the permissions to even view the folder.

I am going to stop you now and I am not trying to be rude here with you. But I think you don't have a *clue* about exposing a machine to the public Internet and how to secure the O/S, files system and whatnot no matter what O/S you're using Linux, MS or whatever.

What O/S is this that you have this FTP server running on?

Once again, I am not trying to be rude here.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane i may no tknow much yet but iam not un unexperienced, first time user.

Iam Running Windows XP Pro with SP2 installed.

Teh ftp server is Cerberus for Personal use and its runnign on

10.0.0.1(localhost) the onne and only pc behind my speedtouch 530 router.

People can login to my ftp server but for some reason they cant transfer files or get a file listing. I dotn know why although iam forwarding ports 21 & 20.

Ask me anything else you like.

Reply to
Νίκος

I'll assume the O/S is using NTFS, I'll assume that you have set the permission on the FTP folder for a user account that is allowed to access the FTP folder an user account that doesn't have Admin rights but User rights, and you have removed all other accounts off the FTP folder, except for user accounts with their permissions set.

And when I mean all accounts are removed off the FTP folder, that includes Everyone Group account, System account all other accounts off the FTP folder, except for the user accounts and you're not setting there with you logged onto the machine using your account with Admin rights.

The issue is not what's happening with ports 20 and 21, as I with the user-id and psw could logon to the FTP server. However, the user account you gave me doesn't have the permission to even access the FTP folder to read, write or delete files on the FTP folder. If the user account doesn't have the read permission, then no, no one is not going to get a list of files in the FTP folder.

That's the problem IMHO is permission for a user account has not been set on the folder to access the FTP folder.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

i guess you are right although i did try my best to configure it.

Can you suggest your perosnal ftp servr for xp for me to try out because cerberus ftp server doesnt behave correctly.

Reply to
Νίκος

Just try once more plz to conenct as anonymous without a pass

and see if youc an get a lsiting this time.

i cant even not from my private network.

Reply to
Νίκος

Before you run off looking for another FTP server, I suggest that you look at configuring the XP O/S that's using NTFS. I suspect the file system is NTFS. Do you know what file system is being used NTFS or FAT32?

The XP O/S is coming back saying you user with your user-id your user account doesn't have the permissions that are needed to access the FTP folder that is under the control of NTFS.

Does this FTP server you're using allow you to use Windows NT authentication, where as, the user-id is authenticated against the user account you have setup using XP's User Manager, you know, the area where you setup logon accounts for you to logon to XP when you boot the machine and logon with an user-id and psw?

This also means with any account you have setup using XP's User Manager, you must go to the FTP folder -- use Explorer and go to the FTP folder select it, right-click it select Properties/Security Tab and *Add* the user-account to the FTP folder and set its access permissions on the folder.

The FTP server I like to use is the one that comes with IIS, but we are not going to go there. :)

I am going to send you my bill. It will pay for my ISP connection this month.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

lol Duane!

It serves me right for asking that much but i cant get the bloody thing to work. I will reinstall cerverus ftp servr but plz this time i will ahve to ask you a big favour.

I have UltraVNC running so if you plz join in with password 'duane' and set this thing up & running for me.

I understand the explanation you agve me and i agree but i just cant make the bloddy thing to work.

Do this for me please and then ill send the 30$ bill for your home ISP conenction :-)

Iam just gonna stand here and watch to see how it will eb done. Please do connect. The password is you nickanme 'Duane'.

Thank you and sorry for the inconvenience....

Reply to
Νίκος

No, no login screen is even showing . You're setting the FTP server to not challenge the user for a user-id and psw, and the FTP server is using its anonymous user account credentials. But that anonymous user account has not been setup in the XP OS and on the folder. Therefore, it's the old *access denied* on the FTP folder with *permissions error* error messages.

See my other post

I have some other things to do -- you have some home work to do. It's out there on Google. Google is your friend. :)

Later!

Reply to
Duane Arnold

The information is out there on Google the problem is with the XP O/S and its denial of a user account that doesn't haqve the permission on the FTP folder to access the FTP folder.

You'll figure it out as my fee is way to high.

You can report back to me about your progress but you're the one who has to learn how to do it as you must support it.

Google

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Iam trying to understand.

When i create a user Cerverus asks me for virtual root folder and i add one that i want along with the permissions(downlaod, upload, create dir, rename, delete etc) so with that act iam actually setting permission on the FTP Folder to access that folder for the specified user.

I cant test this thing form my inside lan cause even if i try i get no login prompts.

Only people outside my LAN can test it. (please try again)

user: Nikos pass: 4uonly

or Anonymous login

I want to be able to solve this out and simultaneously learn but i dont know how to proceed from here.

Iam willing to try any ideas though.

(please try one more to login)

Also are you sure about port forwarding 20 and 21 ports.

because cerberus says than in passive mode i ahve to specify a port range from 1025-3500 opposed to port 20 which works in active mode.

Ports needed to be forwarded arent clear either....

Reply to
Νίκος

Forget FTP. There are SSH and SFTP. Cygwin contains OpenSSH, for example.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

i must get this thing working. 2 days now iam trying.

Reply to
Νίκος

Those seem to be permissions that the FTP server is allowing for its accessing of the FTP folder.

The final buck stops with the XP O/S as to what any user account is allowed to do or not do.

If the O/S is using the FAT32 file system that the FTP folder is created on, then the XP O/S is not going to apply any security aspects by user-id to any thing that's happing on the folder that was created on its file system. You the user-id have you got an OPEN CHECK BOOK to do anything you want user-id as I the O/S don't care.

However, if the file system being used is NTFS by the XP O/S with a FTP folder created on it, then security aspects are involved.

You the user-id and ME the XP O/S I don't care who you are and I don't care what permissions the FTP server has setup for you from its perspective, because ME the XP O/S I don't know about you period or if I do know about you, then you may not be setup properly to even access the FTP folder that ME the O/S is controlling.

ME the XP O/S if you the user don't have a user-id setup by ME and you are not setup by ME with the permissions to access the FTP folder because it's ME that has the final say so and you're not RIGHT by ME the XP O/S, then I don't give a JACK about what the FTP server said you have permissions to do, because I don't know about it. Therefore, ACCESS DENIED PERMISSION DENIED and get out of here and don't come back until you're RIGHT with ME the XP O/S.

That is not true.

If the FTP server is set correctly and you have the XP O/S set correctly in giving permissions to access the FTP folder that's using NTFS, which I have to question do you even know what NTFS means because you didn't tell me what file system NTFS or FAT32 the O/S is using, leads me to think you're not up to speed in that area.

You test a situation local to your machine first before presenting it for a test by someone over the Internet, because if it doesn't work by you accessing it locally in a test situation, then it's not going to work by someone accessing it over the Internet - period in a test situation.

You learn by coming out of DOS and not issuing commands there and you go to the browser IE or whatever and enter FTP://localhost and have at it until you can successfully access that FTP server by giving a user-id and password of your own creation, which you have created through the XP O/S for permissions to access on the FTP folder or you logon to the FTP site with the Anonymous login.

But in either case, the XP O/S must know about the user-id being used and the permissions that have been set for it on the FTP folder by the XP O/S.

You can see the Anonymous login user-id the FTP server is going to use at the logon screen when using the browser.

No, you try to login.

Those are the industry standards used for FTP communications as is stated in the link I gave you about port numbers and their designations in a previous post concerning your router issues.

The fact that I could over the Internet by entering FTP://IP and got the login screen tells me that the router is forwarding the right ports.

My browser is in PASV mode I don't know about the setup of the FTP server you're using and the ports. However, the fact that you cannot even access the FTP locally, you got other issues you have got to deal with first that have nothing to do with the router setup.

You should deal with setting up locally by using the a browser and setting the XP O/S up first before processing with doing anything over the Internet.

I can't make it any clearer to you than that.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.