Free software firewalls I have never heard of before

I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)

I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came across this web page:

I have never heard of products like these:

R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53 Look n Stop Lite 1.04 Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1 WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2 Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5 SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1 Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61

Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as if they are only just out of beta if the version number is anything to go by.

But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never heard of them.

What do people know about these?

Frank

Reply to
Franklin
Loading thread data ...

maybe but it has been bought out by norton. So no matter how good it was in the past(It was my preference also) it may not remain a viable solution.

I have been looking at jetico for quite some time and done allot or reading on it over at wildersecurity. It seems to be an excellent firewall but it is also more advanced so you will need to actually think to use it. If you want something easy and brain dead simple but not as featurefull you should look elsewere. I have not used it personally though.

Reply to
Brook Humphrey

"Hermann Berben" wrote in news:8nyTe.188044$ snipped-for-privacy@phobos.telenet-ops.be:

1) Jetico was not good (but I cannot remember why though) I stuck with Sygate 2) Did not like Wyvern Works either. So far FOR ME, Sygate has been the best.
Reply to
El Gee

I was looking for an alternative freeware firewall (I don't like ZA, Sygate is nice but I get problems with it, Kerio 2.1.5 is too technical for me, and Outpost is too hard to work out)

I thought I had tried all the free firewalls but then I came across this web page:

I have never heard of products like these:

R-Firewall 1.0 Build 53 Look n Stop Lite 1.04 Securepoint Personal Firewall 3.7.1 WyvernWorks Firewall 5.2 Filseclab Personal Firewall 2.5 SoftPerfect Personal Firewall 1.4.1 Jetico Personal Firewall 1.0.1.61

Are they fully functioning full-strength firewalls? Many look as if they are only just out of beta if the version number is anything to go by.

But others seems to have a mature version number and I have never heard of them.

What do people know about these?

Frank

Reply to
Franklin

I've tried most freeware firewalls and I get very good results with NetVeda Safety.Net

Had problems with sp2 and securepoint wasn't satisfied with r-firewall and jetico had good results with wyvern

hope it helps

Reply to
Hermann Berben

Franklin wrote in news:96CA5D2A7EB2071F3M4@

204.153.244.156:

I don't know about the others but Look n Stop (the full version) regularly takes turns with Outpost as the number 1 firewall in independent reviews. (Look n Stop isn't very well known, though.)

See, for instance:

formatting link
(that's 3 L's in a row!)

Regards,

Reply to
nemo_outis

You're searching an host based packet filter? Why not using the Windows-Firewall?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Look n Stop is not freeware.

Reply to
Jim Scott

Outpost is vulnerable to the SelfDoS attack.

It opens Popups with texts, which most users don't understand and misinterpret.

Outpost cannot prevent spyware from sending your personal information across the Internet; it failed in our tests together with the rest of the "Personal Firewalls".

Outpost does not make a PC "invisible" or "stealth" in the Internet, as this is not possible at all.

Outpost "Personal Firewall" installs SYSTEM-Services, which open windows.

This is a gross error, because this breaches security. Agnitum show here, that they never read Microsoft's design guidlines for system services:

formatting link
For a software, which should enhance security, this design flaw means the declaration of bankruptcy.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Jim Scott wrote in news:3fh249zylmt$.dlg@ID-

104726.news.individual.net:

You're undoubtedly correct - I tend to gloss over such distinctions; the concept of paying for software does not loom large in my mind :-)

Regards,

Reply to
nemo_outis

Maybe in the future you would consider not cross-posting to a group where such a concept is off-topic.

Reply to
Mel

What concept would that be? Not paying for software? I haven't paid for software for years yet I'm totally legal so dont get all high and mighty thinking we're talking warez.

Jason

Reply to
Jason

Hmm you forgot the CHX-I packet filter

formatting link
although it's not exactly a "personal firewall" nor a "toy firewall" but just a regular rule-based stateful packet filter w/o application control (all in all the job of a packet filter is controlling network traffic, not applications, the latter are a job for anti spy/mal-ware or antivirus s/w); as a note the CHX-I packet filter (and the NAT as well) are free for personal, non commercial use

Regards

Reply to
ObiWan

Go with kerio..lot's of options and very tech intuitive. The free version doesnt disable the protection measures needed for a home system.

It may take a bit of time to learn the features, but it's worth it. It is the most robust out of the free firewalls that I have tried.

Reply to
Brett Michaels From Poison

"Kerio Personal Firewall will be discontinued as of December 31, 2005. It will not be available for purchase after this date. Subscriptions will not be renewed. Technical support will be provided to all customers with valid subscriptions until the end of 2006."

Quote taken from Kerio Forum:

formatting link
Rgds, Yourhighness

Reply to
Yourhighness

If it's not for sale and discontinued then it's no crime to use a crack with it. ;)

Reply to
Fred

"Yourhighness" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

I am starting to really this one,..

formatting link
NetVeda Safety.Net is an application firewall that offers inbound and outbound protection, as well as filtering, parental controls and email safety to protect you from hackers, worms, Trojans and intruders. It uses multi layer deep packet stateful inspection and enables you to configure which applications and components are trusted to access the network or Internet. In addition, some advanced firewall settings enable you to customize rules for enhanced security. The firewall features are basic, but application control and content filtering are easy to use and offer good features that let you restrict access to web sites, remove content from emails and browser requests, disarm email attachments and more. In addition, NetVeda Safety.Net offers detailed reports about application and network activity and allows you to apply rules to network computer that use your machine as Internet gateway. ...

It seems to be doing the job and very pleasing to my habits.

I am running it with Goldtach-FW on a w2k56kdialup..and chugging along rather swiftly..

gw

Reply to
Global Warming

Well, since it's free for personal use then I guess it doesn't matter anyway.

Reply to
Fred

On 10 Sep 2005 04:01:35 -0700, "Fred" typed furiously:

It is still a copyright work and it would be illegal to do as you suggest.

Reply to
David

I had asked in the first line of my OP for "freeware". Grrr! :-)

Reply to
Franklin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.