Tiny Personal Firewall Replacement?

LOL, quoting the troll himself...

Well, this FAQ already exists for de.comp.security.firewalls. I wonder why Leythos doesn't etablish such a thing here. Oh, wait, maybe because he's the group's #1 troll.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk
Loading thread data ...

Ive always found leythos advice to be quite curteous ,practical and helpful.Quite the opposite of yours, actually Mr Gottschalk.;) me

Reply to
bassbag

*yawn*

Quoting Leythos still doesn't make him right.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

How about since I'm not foreign, I don't read DE. groups, and if it was that good a faq it would be posted here also...

Reply to
Leythos

And windbags that can't provide any useful information for the people asking for help or solutions doesn't make them right - anyone that suggests that the Windows firewall, the most targeted firewall on the planet, the one that allows any application to punch holes in it, is better than the major 5, is the best solutions, is really an idiot.

Reply to
Leythos

Someone who advocates that a program which does nothing malicious should be categorized and spotted as malware just because it uses a function which malware might also find useful is really an idiot too.

Someone who arrogantly refuses to provide references for his claims when asked for it really is an idiot too.

How about taking a break from this finger-pointing.

Reply to
B. Nice

Does it? How should that work?

No, the users that make the major 5 being the major 5 are idiots.

Reply to
Sebastian Gottschalk

Citating a k00k for what's worth.

If you know how to use a usenet archive, then you'll find such explanation in this group. Not from the trolls, and, of course, not from the k00k "Leythos".

Maybe you want to maintain the FAQ then, "GEO", right?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

How about you either face that you have not a single technical skill in your body or that you just follow what others tell you.

Windows Firewall allows applications to place exceptions in the firewall configuration without any warning/notice to the user.

Reply to
Leythos

Yes, many applications, take AOL for instance, punch exceptions in the Windows Firewall, as do many media programs. What, you can't tell me that an expert like you claim to be doesn't already know this?

So, since many people that read this group don't read foreign groups, where are you suggestions, in easy to understand methods, on how users can secure their machines.

You're a lot of talk, blather, but you don't provide anything to help people.

Reply to
Leythos

And you call me a Kook - when you only spat at people that ask about third-party firewalls, when anyone mentions how easy it is for applications to create holes in the windows firewall, when anyone suggests that instead of all the BS, that you just post a clear document on how to secure machines, one that normal users can follow, and that provides the level of security to protect users while not rendering their machines useless.

I'm still waiting on you to do this, as it would solve a lot of people's problems.

Reply to
Leythos

Could you kindly indicate what it is in the above that you disagree with, otherwise your reply is quite meaningless.

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

I don't make claims of being 'the' expert, you do. I have lurked this group long enough to have seen plenty of examples of your useless, arrogant, and sometimes incomprehensible, one line replies to consider you one of the regular trolls of this group. Another one would be Sebastian, who seems to have copied your writing style to make it look as if knows what he is writing about.

Let me quote your own words:

'I offered tips for protection here many times already. Maybe you want to read my postings in this group. Maybe it's time for a FAQ.'

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

I disagree with all of it. Leythos is just making a great deal of unsubstantiated assertions to try and force his opponents onto the defensive. Nice rhetorics, but nothing more. If he thinks this group is in dire need of a regularly posted FAQ why doesn't he do it himself instead of demanding it from others? I for one prefer to address individual problems individually. Like I have done within this thread, e.g. in MID:.

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

And just what solution do you propose to secure a machine that was using Tiny?

Reply to
Leythos

I better don't tell here, what I'm considering you to be.

Nice. Then I'm expecting your FAQ, "GEO".

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

It's obvious that you have some comprehension problems. It was you the one that said that one was needed. Also you the one to claim expert status. Instead of more silly one liners, how about writing it?

Geo

Reply to
"GEO" Me

And it's quite obvious, that you have some quoting problems.

Well, just tell me where I wrote something like that. What I'm offering, are just some facts and my own conclusions out of them. If that makes me an "expert", well, then maybe you're right, then I am.

My profession is software development (as I stated already), not security. Security is a hobby, which is related to my private fun with the CCC, the Chaos Computer Club, which I like very much. But a blind man already can see the design flaws of the common "Personal Firewalls", and that it's a b0rken concept to let this person decide and so become responsible for protection, who should be protected. This is so obvious, that I'm beginning to doubt that I'm not talking to an idiot or a fool here.

Instead of more nonsense discussion, why not trying yourself what I offered here as a proof, for example leak tests, which f*ck up all "outbound control" of all "Personal Firewalls" including "Zone Alarm Pro"? Even a person of Comodo admited here, that their product is leaking.

Are you trying to lie and ignore that like the "Leythos" k00k here now?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

The reason I even bothered to look in here was because I was interested in what was the "best" personal firewall so I could install it on my laptop, sure I could walk around with a hardware firewall along with my laptop but WTF!

The context here is that the guy asking the question obviously also wants to know whats the "best" personal firewall, to which one would think people would be able to come up with constructive comments like "If possible avoid personal firewalls, but when you have no other option I recommend...", not a religious rants on how shit they are as an option.

by the total lack of understanding from

RELIABLE manner.

Reply to
ajspowart

PC Firewalls are generally software programs designed to protect an individual host (workstation or laptop) computer while connected to the Internet. These desktop or "personal" firewalls accomplish this by examining the data stream (individual data packets),and denying access to suspicious incoming and outgoing traffic. Some even allow for the configuration to block specific application from accessing the corporate network or the Internet totally. As the number telecommuters and broadband (DSL & Cable) connections continue to increase, these programs will become more and more important in providing 'end point' security to corporations and consumers alike.

PC Firewall Certification Program: As a security product category, PC Firewalls, also known as "Personal" or "Desktop" Firewalls were practically insignificant a year ago. However, that has changed. PC Firewalls have become a "must have" for anyone intent on maintaining end point security while on a persistent connection, telecommuting, and for remote/traveling employees.

The objective of ICSA Labs' PC Firewall Certification Program is to make available to the user community a selection of products that provide the following security services:

1. Ability to support networking capabilities while providing end point protection 2. Ability to support concurrent dial-up and LAN connectivity 3. Ability to block common external network attacks 4. Ability to restrict outgoing network communications 5. Ability to maintain consistent protection across multiple successive dial-up connections 6. Ability to log events in a consistent and useful manner

formatting link
$lhhlhlgfd

Reply to
Leythos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.