personal firewall suggestions

What Win32 firewall would you recommend for an intermidiate user? I'm currently using Sygate (windows xp sp2). Thanks.

Reply to
Mikaelski
Loading thread data ...

I recommend ... reading the newsgroup archives. This question pops up frequently.

From your post I see, that you ARE using a firewall ... So, keep using it, unless you have something specific against it :)

TLis

Reply to
Tomasz Lisowski

Sygate has at least 2 major flaws that I know of. One, it doesn't handle proxy software properly at all. Two, it allows packets thru to listening ports without asking. Neither is any good for you and one would be best off with something else.

Reply to
Kerodo

Hi TLis!

Mikaelsk is using Sygate. I can't understand why he is willing to move to any other firewall 8-|

Sygate is best, f. the rest :)

Med vänliga hälsningar: Sven-Olov Larsson

formatting link

Reply to
Svempa

Continue using Sygate. Continue to learn how to set it up so you can "Block Everything You Don't Use". Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

The Windows-Firewall.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Sygate has a big design flaw as a "Personal Firewall" - its system services are opening windows. This is a security breach, because this opens additional attack vectors, your system does not have with the Windows-Firewall instead.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Hi Volker!

Point taken! Maybe you are right, but a user friendly interface is never wrong. There are many "blueberries" (eng. beginners) out there.

Reegards:

formatting link

Reply to
Svempa

What services are you referring to? OS services? C

Reply to
Casey Klc

This is not the point - UI is OK, but the windows of it should be created by user processes, which are communicating with the services via well defined IPC.

What Sygate is doing, is just the proof, that the Sygate developers don't understand the Windows security architecture at all.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

*NIX people would say "daemons". Windows people say "services", if they're meaning processes, which are running with elevated rights (normally in the background).

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

It is a design flaw in a security system, if security depends on user's decisions in any way, but this would be avoidable.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Thak you for this information. I see what you mean.

Have a nice day :)

formatting link

Reply to
Svempa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.