Jetico Personal Firewall

Has anyone tried Jetico Personal Firewall yet? I installed the latest beta a few days ago and so far I'm strangely drawn to it.

It's a rules based firewall with stateful inspection, much like the new Kerio 4.1 betas, but without all the bloat and resource consumption. It reminds me of a Kerio 2.1.5 with more advanced configurability. The main executable is only 262K, which I find amazing considering all the program's features and so on. Cpu usage is about 1% on Win2k. Pretty good. Reminds me much of Kerio 2.1.5 in those terms.

It's not, however, for beginners. The interface is very different and somewhat confusing and complicated at first, until you get familiar with it and the layout of all the rules. But once you get used to it, it really seems to be quite configurable and powerful, something that I really like.

You see quite a lot of pop-ups, which at first seem to be very repititive, until you realize that it's just creating detailed rules for every app you approve and so on. Some beginning users may think that it's buggy, but in reality it's just creating specific rules for each app, sometimes asking several times and so on.

You can edit all your rules. Very powerful in general. It does require that you do some rule editing with new apps. Some might find this annoying, but I find that once I get the rules the way I want them, then it's very nice.

It's still beta software, but I've only seen one bug so far, which involved the popups for new programs. The firewall itself seems to be very solid so far.

I'd be curious to hear other people's impressions of it.. I've been testing Jetico and also Kerio 4.1 beta, and so far I'm leaning a little toward Jetico at the moment.

It's available here.

formatting link
Right now it's free software as far as I can tell. I don't think it has any expiration either, even though it's beta. Not too much in the way of help files or support on their site. But if you enjoy playing with new software and figuring things out for yourself, then you might like it.

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

Now that Jetico is out of Beta (and is at V1.0.1.49), has anybody (re-)evaluated it?

Like others, I'm looking to see if there's anything out there which is better than Kerio 2.1.5.

Reply to
Philip K

It's an excellent firewall, especially for a version 1.0. Their support is the best I've ever seen from ANY software company.

It's much more powerful than Kerio 2.1.5 and has no vulnerabilities that I know of.

On the downside, the interface is not as elegant and intuitive as Kerio's, but once you get used to it and figure out where things are and how they work, then it's fine..

There's a long thread on JPF that I started months ago over at Wilders which might interest you. That's about the only place I know of where people are discussing it. See the link below:

formatting link
Right now, they're working on making it easier to use (making some of the rule editing windows bigger, etc) and adding features which users have reqeusted.

So, over all, if you ask me, it's a worthy replacement for good old Kerio. And best of all, it's free... You can't beat that.. :)

-- Kerodo

Reply to
Kerodo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.