Silly router problem

Could someone please tell me what is causing this silly problem:

connected through an ISDN router, my mail client can't fetch mails from my mail server (we have a domain hosted by one of the companies). Oddly enough, after i try to connect to the mail server through my browser (and get the message that no website is configured on this address), the mail client is able to connect to the server for several minutes. After that period, it's not possible anymore for the mail client to connect to the mail server (the attempt times-out...) unless i 'open' again the connection with the browser.

Both computers, mine and my girlfriend's, are affected (MacOS 10.3.5) by this problem. My knowledge of networking is very basic so i did never mess with the firewall settings on the router - however, the problem is still persistent after reseting the router to factory defaults.

Oddly enough, all other trafic, web, ftp, news, IM, is working flawlessly as well as fetching mail from my other mail account on another domain - the problem is only with this one server while connecting to it through our ISDN router (no problems with the same ISP and dial-up connection).

Thanks in advance for any help or hints.

Reply to
Zoltan
Loading thread data ...

It seems that your ISDN interface doesn't consider traffic to your mailserver as 'interesting traffic'. maybee it helps to add the following

int bri x dialer-group 1 ! dialer-list 1 protocol ip list 101 ! access-list 101 permit ip any any

of course, you could tailor the acceslist to the the specific traffic you want to get up the ISDN connection.

regards hbolliger

Reply to
hbolliger

Anyone?

Reply to
||III

You're missing some vital info. What hardware? What is the config? For all I know, you haven't setup your ISDN to trigger on smtp traffic (what Cisco calls 'interesting' traffic). But w/o the config, we won't know for sure. Or it could be that your mail program is finicky and you need to buffer more packets while the ISDN is coming up.

Reply to
Hansang Bae

Given the other information you have provided about IM's and websurfing being okay, one possibility may be a timeout problem with your mailserver - if the error is a timeout error, try extending the server timeout in Email Account > Advanced options of your mail client.

Reply to
Eric Louie

Can you telnet to the mail server? Go to a command prompt and type telnet x.mailserver.com 25

Reply to
TechnoPimp

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.