Weird Loss of Connectivity Issue -- Help?

Hi,

I'm on a cable connection, running through a Linksys Cable Gateway.

I cannot connect to the Internet via web browser, but can connect in every other way (ping, Usenet, E-mail, etc....).

But here's the rub: I use a Cisco VPN client to connect to my office servers. When the VPN client is installed on my machine (no vpn connection initiated, just the client installed) I can usually browse normally. If I lose my browsing ability, initiating a VPN connection restores it, and keeps it restored for some time AFTER I drop the VPN connection.

If I uninstall the Cisco VPN client, I lose all browser connectivity (but all other connectivity remains fine).

It's not a DNS problem, because I can't reach sites via straight IP. Indeed, I can't even connect to my Linksys Gateway via browser.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Stedman
Loading thread data ...

You have a proxy server setting enabled in your browser. When the VPN connection is working you can connect to the proxy server and your web traffic works because the proxy server is accessable.

Go to Tools->Options. Connections tab, Click on Lan Settings. You can disable and enable your proxy server setting from here. You may require it to be on when you are connected to the VPN.

Reply to
Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTE

Mike Drechsler - SPAM PROTECTED EMAIL wrote in news:Yvmkf.166554$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.news.easynews.com:

Hi,

Thanks for the tip. But no, no proxy settings in either my firefox or IE, and initiating a vpn connection does not change these settings.

I've a feeling there's some corruption in my registry, perhaps in the TCP/IP stack area. But I'm no expert. I've tried Microsoft's TCP/IP stack reset (netsh int ip reset c:\\resetlog.txt), with no luck.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Stedman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.