Windows Vista SP1 client not getting ip address from 3750

Last year, I configured a dhcp pool on a 3750 switch for a lan party at work(I work for a university and part of the students activities). No problems all worked fine with Vista.

It was time for the lan party again at work. I put the dhcp pool back on the switch but the Vista clients would not pull an ip address, but when I did a sh ip dhcp binds it showed their macs were bound to the ip addresses. The Vista client all had auto configure 169.254 addresses. I tried some things, googled and got some registry hacks we tried for the tcp system parameters but no luck. I took my Helium Spetrum Analyzer running XP and it got an address so I know the switch is configured correctly.

For the work around I made the int vlan ip address 169.254.0.1/16 updated the switch settings and the lan party is going down.

I found some vague references to this problem on my google searches, but nothing solid.

Is there something that needs to be done on the clients to pull an ip address from the dhcp pool on the switch? They pulled an ip address from their helper address to the QIP DHCP server? XP machines work with no problems.

Thanks,

Reply to
news.verizon.com
Loading thread data ...

This reminds me of something I saw.

I have 877 router as DHCP server and Vista, not sure about SP level when this was happening but now SP1.

I have extensive experience of Cisco DHCP on XP and it just works.

With vista DHCP was OK on Ethernet but not on Wireless. Wireless DHCP worked with other (cheap non cisco) WiFi routers.

I found that changing a registry setting, (something about DHCP broadcast reply? if I recall correctly) swapped the behaviour round. i.e. worked on cisco 877 but did not work on other routers.

Upgrade router to 12.4(15)T7 from something already not too old fixed it.

So I think that there is something going on here but don't know what it is. I do not have a wireless sniffer so never figured it out.

Maybe if you upgrade your 3750 to the latest sw it will magically work:)

I found this today:-

formatting link
Deploying Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and Vista on a Cisco Network

It mentions that if IP V6 is enabled - and on vista it is enabled by default - vista does not get round to doing IP V4 DHCP for 128 seconds!!! after link up. I don't think I see that but maybe it has been changed by Microsoft since the Document was written.

Reply to
bod43

This reminds me of something I saw.

I have 877 router as DHCP server and Vista, not sure about SP level when this was happening but now SP1.

I have extensive experience of Cisco DHCP on XP and it just works.

With vista DHCP was OK on Ethernet but not on Wireless. Wireless DHCP worked with other (cheap non cisco) WiFi routers.

I found that changing a registry setting, (something about DHCP broadcast reply? if I recall correctly) swapped the behaviour round. i.e. worked on cisco 877 but did not work on other routers.

Upgrade router to 12.4(15)T7 from something already not too old fixed it.

So I think that there is something going on here but don't know what it is. I do not have a wireless sniffer so never figured it out.

Maybe if you upgrade your 3750 to the latest sw it will magically work:)

I found this today:-

formatting link
Deploying Microsoft Windows Server 2008 and Vista on a Cisco Network

It mentions that if IP V6 is enabled - and on vista it is enabled by default - vista does not get round to doing IP V4 DHCP for 128 seconds!!! after link up. I don't think I see that but maybe it has been changed by Microsoft since the Document was written.

Reply to
news.verizon.com

I solved the same problem on two Vista laptops with this command (must be executed from cmd prompt in elevated mode): netsh winsock reset catalog

You have to restart your Windows after this. Make sure that your registry settings regarding dhcp are defaults, so don't turn on broadcast flag bit, etc. Only in the case that above command doesn't works for you proceed with registry modification according to MS KB article. My Vista has been working ok with all dhcp servers with no problem, but after installing drivers for USB 3G mobile internet stick I lost the ability to obtain IP address from my home wirelles router and also from Microsoft DHCP server in my company if my client is behind DHCP relay (Cisco 3750 with ip helper command), but I could obtain IP address if I where in the same broadcast domain as MS DHCP server. After reseting some stuff with above command I've restored my ability to obtain IP from my wirelles home routet and also from my company server even if I'm behind DHCP relay.

Regards, Igor

Reply to
Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto

I will try this today.

Thanks

"Igor Mamuzic aka Pseto" wrote in message news:gne3ut$q68$ snipped-for-privacy@ss408.t-com.hr...

Reply to
an63

Tried everything nothing works and won't get a dhcp address from the 3750 dhcp pool.

Reply to
an63

Have you tried any debug commands for DHCP on the 3750? We don't use our Ciscos for DHCP so I'm not familiar with what there is. There shouldn't be that much traffic so it shouldn't break your terminal session.

Sam

Reply to
Sam Wilson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.