Weird Loss of Connectivity Issue -- Help?

Hi,

I'm on a cable connection, running through a Linksys Cable Gateway.

I cannot connect to the Internet via web browser, but can connect in every other way (ping, Usenet, E-mail, etc....).

But here's the rub: I use a Cisco VPN client to connect to my office servers. When the VPN client is installed on my machine (no vpn connection initiated, just the client installed) I can usually browse normally. If I lose my browsing ability, initiating a VPN connection restores it, and keeps it restored for some time AFTER I drop the VPN connection.

If I uninstall the Cisco VPN client, I lose all browser connectivity (but all other connectivity remains fine).

It's not a DNS problem, because I can't reach sites via straight IP. Indeed, I can't even connect to my Linksys Gateway via browser.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Stedman
Loading thread data ...

what is ipconfig /all telling you ?

Kyle Stedman wrote:

Reply to
degrub

"ndeed, I can't even connect to my Linksys Gateway via browser."

unplug the cable and start there. Hard reset the cable gateway. reconfigure. THen work your way out.

Kyle Stedman wrote:

Reply to
degrub

Hi Degrub,

If you don't mind, could you e-mail me at kyle snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com?

Don't want to post IPCONFIG info here. Thanks,

Kyle

degrub wrote in news:Kkikf.2814$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

Reply to
Kyle Stedman

Why, do you think your ip address 67.86.174.188 is a secret.

If worried about your lan, you should be using 192.168.x.x which will not route accross the internet.

Reply to
Bit Twister

Bit Twister wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@wb.home.invalid:

Come on, give me a break! I'm new at this :)

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gateway-whatever

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 3:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : bleep, bleep, bleeped

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.10

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 167.206.3.231

167.206.3.165 167.206.3.234

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 03, 2005

2:40:24 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 03, 2005

3:40:24 PM
Reply to
Kyle Stedman

i am assuming the VPN has a 1 hr time-out/refresh ? Otherwise looks normal to me.

Didn't mean for you to post the ipconfig data. just to look at it and make sure you were getting services from the expected places.

One other thing to look at - try removing and then installing a browser

- opera, netscape, etc. It looks like that is what has gotten confused and is using the wrong net connection.

Kyle Stedman wrote:

Reply to
degrub

Just to be sure it's not a DNS issue try browsing somebody by IP, for example yahoo at http://68.142.226.38/. (ping yahoo.com first and browse the resultant IP if you don't want to click my hyperlink.)

I'm betting it's not though, since you can't browse to your linksys which you undoubtably hit via IP not FQDN.

So, assuming it's not just a baffed up linksys as another poster suggested (hint, try your pc on somebody else's network first) than your TCP/IP stack is probably corrupt. You need to uninstall and reinstall it, which isn't especially easy but isn't exceedingly hard. A corrupt winsock will blow up

32 bit apps but simple stuff like ftp, ping and telnet will still work.

Your best bet as a somewhat novice might be a utility for it like

formatting link
Otherwise it involves browsing your registry, deleting the winsock and winsock 32 keys from hkeylocalmachine/software, unchecking TCP/IP from one of your adaptors, saving and rebooting. Then manually add TCP/IP back in, but don't pick it from the list, say "have disk" and browse to c:\\windows\\inf for it. This will cause it to reload the files and hopefully fix the problem.

Your VPN working might be because it uses a different TCP/IP stack that's customized to deal with split tunneling issues rather than the stock one that's used for normal connections.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Thanks!

I tried it all, and now, some 4 hours later, I've reintalled my OS and all is working fine.

I think it was some corruption in the TCP/IP stack, where my browsers couldn't switch between the default connection and vpn connection. Lose the VPN connection...lose the ability to just browse.

Thanks again, Kyle

degrub wrote in news:K6qkf.2743$4o7.2501 @newssvr24.news.prodigy.net:

Reply to
Kyle Stedman

"Somebody." wrote in news:4wrkf.4485$ snipped-for-privacy@nnrp.ca.mci.com!nnrp1.uunet.ca:

Thanks!

I tried it all, and now, some 4 hours later, I've reintalled my OS and all is working fine.

I think it was some corruption in the TCP/IP stack, where my browsers couldn't switch between the default connection and vpn connection. Lose the VPN connection...lose the ability to just browse.

Thanks again, Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Stedman

Re-installing your OS is a bit of a "sledgehammer to kill the spider" approach, but the spider is dead nonetheless.

Glad you got sorted out.

-Russ.

Reply to
Somebody.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.