Norton 2005 blocking my internet?

Hi, I've got an HP Desktop with Windows XP Home. A few months ago we bought Norton Internet Security 2005 and Visual Basic .Net.

Not long after we got those programs, our internet (Dialup from Juno) quit working. I would try to get online, it would connect and I could browse for about 10-30 seconds before getting kicked offline.

This went on for a while and I bought a new modem (Intel 56k something or other). It worked better than the old LucentWin for about a week, then it too succumbed to the disease and had the same problem. I'd get online be able to browse for about 10-30 seconds, then it would stall: It would send out data but not recieve anything.

Now it seems to have gotten worse. I can't even browse for those precious 10-30 seconds. It just gets on, tells me it's connected at

36-49kbps... and nothing. It can't connect to ANY web pages, not even Google. It will stay "connected" for about another 30-45 seconds before getting booted off.

Desperately, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows xp, reloaded Norton, .Net, Juno, ... It worked for about a day, then back to the same problem, connected but no data coming in (Approx... In:

700bytes Out: 3100) before getting kicked off.

I uninstalled Norton and it worked again for another day, then just this afternoon the problem is back... AGAIN!

It's driving me insane, I hate having to go to the library just to check my email, or get info for school.

Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this problem?... I'd REALLY love to get my internet back and working the way it should

Thanks for anything!

Reply to
mini chifa
Loading thread data ...

A few wild guesses.

Winmodem? If so get a proper external modem. Try reducing the speed that the computer talks to the modem's com port if that can be set for your modem. If it's 115,200 set it lower. Have the telephone line tested for noise. There may be a number you can call which will give silence, listen for noise or crackling sounds.

Someone else will be along to tell you to wipe the hard drive again and this time don't reinstall NIS 2005.

If you're going to reinstall XP, have SP2 (and preferably all other updates to date) ready on CD and install it before connecting to the Internet. Or make a slipstreamed CD.

formatting link
Jason

Reply to
Jason Edwards

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.