Norton Internet Security 2005

I am new to firewalls and have used the above. I have set this up for a frend so there children can access there homework on the internet. I must have pressed the wrong buttons. The only way they can access the school is by dropping the firewall for an hour each time. I may have clicked on a "block allways"

Can I access this information and delete this information or edit it in any way. I could remove Norton Internet Security 2005 and re-install it again but that is not simple.

Desmond.

Reply to
Des
Loading thread data ...

When I first read his posts, I though 'TRACKER' aka

No this is just someoneone who is computer literate who is new to firewall principals, and as a christian wants to help frends to keep there PC's up and running and virus free

Reply to
Des

Bullsh1t - it most likely means he's got it setup incorrectly.

Reset the rules and try it again - it will most likely work fine once you get the default rules back in place.

Reply to
Leythos

Are you related to PCBUTTS?

Reply to
Leythos

This usually means, that your computer is compromized now. In our tests it lasts approximately 30 seconds until an unprotected computer is compromized after it's connected to the Internet.

Just flatten your computer and set it up again. And forget "removal tools", better read:

formatting link

Just don't install it again. Better use the Windows-Firewall if you have Windows XP SP2, or a filtering NAT router between your PC and the net, or shudown all servers your computer is offering to the Internet. For the latter, you could use

formatting link
or
formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Shush, we're not suppose to speak her name in public.

Reply to
Leythos

When I first read his posts, I though 'TRACKER' aka 'VPNSISHACKERSSECRET' aka 'Debbie Gambriel' was back. E.

Reply to
E.

VB,

If I Google this topic together with Christian, your name/posts comes up hundreds of times. Perhaps your signature?

Ron :-)

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

Then why do you know so little about security as an overall concept and about any of the details?

Reply to
Leythos

Oops, best not to tempt fate. E.

Reply to
E.

Danke

Reply to
Ron Lopshire

Interesting, what you're guessing ;-) But to be honest, I'm not a christian. Perhaps, the religion of the Flying Spaghetti Monster is closest to what I "believe" ;-) And I'm not very new to the topic either; in fact, I'm designing network protocols as part of my daily work.

An easy one I designed and wich was publicized, you'll find here:

formatting link
Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

For not even knowing how FTP works and not understanding even the basics of the TCP/IP network protocol family as he proofed with the discussion about ICMP in comp.security.misc, "Leythos" is the typical case of all hat and no cattle.

Are you the same type of loser?

VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Look VB, there was nothing proven about blocking ICMP in any group, at least not to anyone that understands ICMP and why it's used. As for FTP, NAT does not BREAK FTP, if it did, many people would not be able to FTP when using it, and I see hundreds of people that still FTP behind NAT solutions.

Reply to
Leythos

You mean the topic "Norton Internet Security 2005"?

Christian and I are regulars in de.comp.security.misc, so maybe you'll find many hits here.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Hey! Don't blame me for the fact that on initial impressions you resemble the biggest k00k the comp.sec and 2600 heirarchies have seen in years... E.

Reply to
E.

This is meant honestly: English is a foreign language for me. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Just try to write in German, if you want to know how this feels ;-)

I don't know her. But I already noticed, that people with other ideas than mainstream are often compared to her - perhaps this is a kind of protection for the conservatives, but it also prohibits learning and listening to new ideas especially from lateral thinkers.

It's a pity.

Not everybody who dares to read, think, speak and write non-mainstream ideas is an idiot or a kook. It's these ideas, which are moving the world. Mainstream moves nothing, it just freezes all.

BTW: you mentioned 2600, do you know the CCC, too?

;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If you'll find me a kook, script kiddy, then maybe you'll have some arguments why I'm wrong. And "real Firewall!!!1!111", "ICMP is evil!!1!!11" or even "FTP has no problems with NAT!!1!111" are none for sure. They're only a sure sign for incompetence.

If this was only a wrong initial impression you had, then maybe it would be best to stop this useless arguing.

Shell we do the latter?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

This is meant honestly: English is a foreign language for me. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Just try to write in German, if you want to know how this feels ;-)

I don't know her. But I already noticed, that people with other ideas than mainstream are often compared to her - perhaps this is a kind of protection for the conservatives, but it also prohibits learning and listening to new ideas especially from lateral thinkers.

It's a pity.

Not everybody who dares to read, think, speak and write non-mainstream ideas is an idiot or a kook. It's these ideas, who're moving the world. Mainstream moves nothing, it just freezes all.

BTW: you mentioned 2600, do you know the CCC, too?

;-)

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

If you're referencing this:

| Des wrote: | > The only way they can access the | > school is by dropping the firewall for an hour each time. | This usually means, that your computer is compromized now.

then you're wrong here. This was the only correct answer I could give.

If one connects an unprotected Windows box to the Internet for an hour, then the probability of this box being compromized is 100%.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.