Norton Internet Security 2005 Firewall problem.

Norton Internet Security 2005's firewall function has decided to block all of my internet access. (Turning it off allows me to get back on the internet).

I've tried to follow the instructions in the Symantec Help Center, which is part of the program. Under firewall > troubleshooting > Why can't I connect to the Internet via my cable modem? it reads:

If your network accesses the Internet via a cable connection, you may need to make your computer's NetBIOS name visible. While the NetBIOS name is visible, the files and folders on your computer remain hidden.

To make your NetBIOS name visible In the main window, double-click Personal Firewall. In the Personal Firewall window, on the Advanced tab, click General.

It goes on but this is as far as I can get.

When I double-click Personal Firewall I get a box that says: An error has occured in the script this page. Line: 82 Char: 5 Error: Unspecified error Code: 0 URL: re://nisplu.dll//homenetworking.htm Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? I click "Yes" and then I get a similar box, except Code is now 90. I click "Yes". I click the "Advanced" tab then the "General" button as instructed. I get another error box with Line: 216 Char: 1, ect. I click "Yes" and nothing happens.

How can I fix this problem?

Reply to
Randwill
Loading thread data ...

I had a simular problem after a LiveUpdate session where the firewall stopped all outgoing traffic. I found an article that mention that the NIS Program Controls could cause issues and recommended deleting the Symantec Network Proxy Service from the Firewall settings/Programs and then rebooting. NIS should reconfigure the service. I did this and it seem to work!

I would suggest you check the service before you delete it to ensure it is configured to 'Automatically Enable Internet Access'.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Ian

Thanks. I'll try that next time.

Meanwhile, I did an uninstall / reinstall of the product and all is now back to normal.

Reply to
Randwill

It's too bad it's not in English as I would have liked to have viewed and heard the discussion.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hallo Randwill, you ask:

Norton Insecurity is crap like all similar products. Your test shows: You don't need this piece of shit. Just a few months ago the local branch in the city of Ulm of German Chaos Computer Club demonstrated again the severe problems of personal firewalls. They filmed that and the video (1 1/2 hours) is availiable for download.

formatting link

Make a simple resolution without adding more unstable and exploitable code to your system:

Just stop offering (unnecessary) network services to the internet.

formatting link
And after them uninstall Norton InSecurity.

Thanks to Wolfgang and Andreas Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

You have errors in your Windows Script. You can download and reinstall it.

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

formatting link
Because of the script errors, Norton can't save the rules it has to make and it can't use the ones it already made.

Reply to
BoJo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.