Norton 05 blocking my Internet?

Hi, I've got an HP desktop with Windows XP home. We've had it for a couple of years and have been using Juno Dialup for our internet. Just a couple of months ago, we bought Norton Internet Security 2005.

Not long afterwards, our internet was terrible. It would get on for about 1 minute or so, then it would be "connected" but I couldn't do anything on the net. The problem get worse to where it would get on for about 30 seconds.

I bought a new modem, an Intel something or other that had its own processor, not like the cheap one that came with the computer. The problem was fixed for about a day, then the it was back at first a minute, until finally to the point where I can't do anything. It says "connected at 36-49kbps" but very minimal data is recieved... (average In: 710 Out: 3100 bytes) it stays there for about 15 seconds then gets kicked off.

Knowing nothing else to do, I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled Windows, noton, then juno. The problem was fixed!... for a day. The next day it was back: get online, connected at ##kbps, nothing. Can't go anywhere, can't ping, can't get google, nada. 15-30 seconds later i'm off again.

I figured maybe it's the firewall blocking all my incoming data? I uninstalled Norton and it was fixed! I was on for about an hour, then got kicked off (doesn't happen very often, but it has happened in the past) and it thought nothing of it.

I tried to get on this afternoon and it was back. AARRRGHHH!

My best guess is that Norton installed something on one of my ports and when norton uninstalled it didn't delete it. I've run spybot multiple times, and Norton checks my computer EVERY time i install it.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Reply to
mini chifa
Loading thread data ...

I don't know about anyone else, but I have found and heard that Nortons

2005 suite is going to give anyone/everyone problems if they haven't properly configured it to allow the user to do the things that they want.

Some people would look at this and say yeah thats common sense the only problem is... that Norton doesnt seem to make it very easy to install the security software on the computer and from the start not have any issues because the software can configure itself.

I personally do not have As much experience with the Norton Suite as I wish I had (I tend to "combat" Norton just about daily at work). If you've read through some of the posts here you may find the underlying battle between security and functionality in the computer world.

Security is Very important but as we all know there is always a balance between a strong security policy and a functional (at least home) computer.

I am not to terribly sure how much Norton is going to charge you for having them walk you through setting up all the features of their "internet security" suite but they might be the best people to get in touch with and have them walk you through configuring the setup for the best functionability for you.

Oh, and to warn you... Norton and Mcaffee kinda become spyware wannabe's after you delete them... they Never really go away.. (cue the Mad evil laughter). Isnt it fun...

Hope I was at least semi-informational.

Demon

Reply to
Demon77

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.