Kerio reinstallation remembers previous configuration

previous

Could be something left behind in the registry, although I would have thought removing the files would be enough. You might try loading regedit and looking for Kerio settings in the following registry keys:

Hkey_Current_User/Software Hkey_Local_Machine/Software

If there's anything there, just delete it and try reinstalling again.

Reply to
Kerodo
Loading thread data ...

I am evaluating Kerio Personal Firewall v4. In the initial installation, I chose the "Learning" option, but later became convinced that this was a mistake, and I should have chosen instead the simpler and silent default option. Because I did not see a way to edit the configuration (nor did I see where the configuration files resides), I decided to Remove the application and begin again. This too appears now to be a mistake.

Although I had confirmed that the ..\\kerio directory was completely empty, and even removed it, what I thought would be a clean reinstallation did not ask me any of the configuration questions that I had to asnswer the first time around, but simply announced that "Learning" was now the default", while giving me no opportunity to change that. This leaves me in the same position as before. I have again Removed KPF from the system.

I will be grateful if someone will tell me how I can find the previous configuration so I can delete it and install the application from scratch, leaving behind any memory of time gone by. This will also help me to edit the configuration if I wish to make changes in it.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

configuration

I believe that the config file in Kerio 2.x has an extension of .conf and in Kerio 4.x the extension is .cfg. Since you're using Kerio 4.x, just look for a file with the .cfg extension. That will be it. Should be pretty obvious which one it is.

Reply to
Kerodo

Just a note... if your .cfg file and the entire Kerio folder was deleted, then it more or less has to be something stored in the registry. I think all of Kerio's stuff is stored in the Program Files folder.

Reply to
Kerodo

Just checked... The config file is in this directory:

Program Files/Kerio/Personal Firewall 4/Config

and the config file is "kpf.cfg".

I'd delete the registry values though, if killing the config file doesn't do it... Make sure you kill the .bak file of the same name also.

Reply to
Kerodo

Thank you, I'll look there.

For future use however, I would like to know where configuration is stored. It can't all be in the registry.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

IIRC, uninstalling Kerio will not remove the .conf file which holds your rules/settings, etc. So if you throw it back into the same directory, the new install picks up the old file.

This is sort of supposed to be a feature, not a bug. Just erase the kerio directory or install on a different path.

Reply to
ronwolf

Sorry- next time i'll read the whole thread a little more closely... Prob safe to disregard the previous.

Reply to
ronwolf

Quite so.

=;-)8

It happens to everybody.

But could you be a bit more specific about the name of the configuration file? Surely it's not called ".conf"?

Reply to
Stan Goodman

Well, if it's where you say, then it's gone, because the kerio directory is empty.

I would delete registry references to the program, as you say. But in general, if the configuration is a text tile, then it is presumably editable.

It's interesting, and not especially complimentary to the designers, that the GUI seems to provide no way to revise either configuration or rules. Or am I missing something? It is hard to believe, for example, that there is no way for a user who has chosen the "Learning" configuration, and who feels he should have done otherwise, to check or uncheck a box somewhere, and come out with the simpler basic configuration.

Reply to
Stan Goodman

Ok, then you probably need to delete the registry entries..

I don't think the config file is a simple text file. You can't edit it manually with a text editor.

Yes, I think you are right about that (not being able to change your selection once you choose the simple configuration option). It's poor design I guess. You CAN revise rules in the Packet Filter section though. I think that's under the Network tab. I'm not running it now so I can't check for you.

Looks like you'll have to delete the Kerio directory and delete the registry entries, and then reinstall. That should do it..

Reply to
Kerodo

This turns out not to be as simple as I had imagined it would be.

With KPF "removed" (as Windows so quaintly puts it, which really means only that the files and their directory are gone), neither of the above folder contains any subfolder with a name containing the string "Kerio", or indeed anything beginning with K.

With KPF installed (which means it is remembering from somewhere the earlier configuration, and does not allow me to alter it in any way), there are two lined in the Kerio subfolder in Hkey_Local_Machine/Software, nothing at all in the other. So the configuration is not in the Kerio program folder, not in the registry...... Where is it? And, on the philosophical level: What kind of nutcase designs and releases a program that, once it is configured, stays that way in perpetuity, whether you "remove" it or not? Happily, there are other firewall programs, so that I don't feel a need to spend much more time on this one. I would, however, like to know for future reference where the honchos at Kerio have seen fit to stow their configuration. And, since I already have this one, I'll take one more crack at initializing it and using it. Does someone know where the configuration might be?

Reply to
Stan Goodman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.