Advanced Rules/Advanced Application Configuration

In the Advanced Application Configuration tab you have the option to choose whether a application can act as a server or client(client meaning that the application is allowed to listen, server connect). The advanced rules don't seem to allow you to do this; what it does allow you to do is choose to block/allow traffic depending on it being outgoing or incoming. Is the former and latter different names for the same thing; or are they totally different?

Thanks...

Reply to
Michael_jd
Loading thread data ...

In article , Michael_jd wrote: :In the Advanced Application Configuration tab you have the option to choose :whether a application can act as a server or client(client meaning that the :application is allowed to listen, server connect).

That's odd, when I look at my Advanced Application Configuration tab, the options have to do with whether I want to use a picture of a cute bunny-rabbit or a warty frog as the default "watermark".

When did you last check the "Jeremy Rabbit's Froggy Day" website for application updates?

Reply to
Walter Roberson

Advanced Application Configuration and Advanced Rules are two different things. Sygate is designed with 3 major components: Intruder Detection System---This is a malware filter that is enabled only in the Pro version. IDS is automatic-the only control the user has is to update the signatures. Advanced Rules-----The user creates all rules using combinations of the following parameters: #Allow/block, IP Addresses, #Protocols (TCP, UDP,ICMP), Ports (local/remote 1-65535), #Incoming/outgoing/both, and Applications. (Parameters with a # are required in each rule created) Application Control---Used to control applications/services. Parameters for each application are Allow/Ask/Block. At Application Advanced Configuration you specify the remote ports each application/service can connect to (excluding all others). Also, each application can be set to Act as a Client or Act as a Server. The 3 components executes in this order: IDS, Advanced Rules, Application Rules. (this gives Advanced Rules priority over Application Rules. Sygate is a good firewall--too bad we will be loosing it to Symantec. Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Michael snipped-for-privacy@hotNOSPAMmail.com (Michael_jd) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

Don't use Application Control like the worthless crutch that it is that can easily be beaten by malware.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Nonsense. Your caution should have stated.....Don't download malware off internet and don't accept an email malware attachment. Sygate is an excellent firewall when properly setup to "Block Everything you Don't Use". Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Casey Klc wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.east.earthlink.net:

Everything

Nonsense back to you and App Control in a PFW solution can be beaten at the computer boot and logon process. I have tested Sygate and most of the

3rd party solutions for this. And Sygate can be beaten at that time like the rest of the 3rd party solutions, since it is not an integrated part of the O/S that can get to the TCP/IP connection first before anything else such as malware. Application Control is worthless in PFW solutions for the most part and may hold a little value (that's very little IMHO) if the machine is never booted. I am sure there are other ways to beat it but at the boot I am for sure.

And anyone using a PFW solution like a crutch and depends solely upon such a solution to control program and/or have the solution tell them what's happening on the machine without look for themselves with other tools or control what's happening with a program through the O/S has already lost.

And on top of that, I don't even consider a PFW solution to be a FW solution since it doesn't separate two networks but only provides machine level protection for the O/S and Internet applications running on the machine. But that's my opinion of a PFW solution.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

It didn't work on any of my computers - so how does it prove anything?

Reply to
Leythos

At Sygate Pro tools/options/security there is a selectable option "Block All Traffic While the Service is Not Loaded".

AVG7, AdAware, Spybot S&D, and Spyware Blaster are quite informative. They found zero malware in four years of service on this box.

I have one computer connected thru Sygate to internet.

Apparently you could learn quite a lot about Sygate by reading:

formatting link

Reply to
Casey Klc

Do you know

formatting link
?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

What about the IDS and all the other advanced security options, like anti IP spoofing?

Reply to
Michael_jd

IDS---user has no control there except to update signatures. Updates may be a thing of the past. I haven't had an update in 3 or 4 weeks. Update is at tools/options/update. (Symantec bought Sygate)

Security Options---tools/options/security. Enable Smart DNS or Smart DHCP (to fit your needs). Enable all of the security features on that page ( 15 ea.). If you get aggrivated with dll warning popup windows, disable "Enable DLL Authorization". Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

No it doesn't. And somehow the exe for Sygate is being started first before anything else can be started on the computer/ -- O/S, since the service is not running? Tell me that you can set some kind of start order with the O/S that's going allow the Sygate exe to start before anything else can start. Tell me that the Sygate exe is going to interface with a service such as Network Connection service and make that service wait for the Sygate service or the Sygate exe to be started first.

I am writing Windows services right now for a .Net application and the exe(s) that interfaces with the services. And I know that a 3rd party Sygate solution is not controlling any Windows O/S service to do anything. So if a malware application can get there before that Sygate exe or service can start, it is over.

You tell whatever it is you're trying to sell about Sygate to someone else, because I am not buying it.

Snakeoil -- and for the most part, all that kind of snakeoil does is remove cookies off of the machine. Cookies are not executed program code. There are just text files holding session information with a Web site that has been visited. The machine cannot be attacked by a cookie. :)

Sygate is just another PFW solution no more and no less and they are all doing the same thing. I have seen enough.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Not only all of that, I'm on dialup and I don't click to go online until everything loads. Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Michael snipped-for-privacy@hotNOSPAMmail.com (Michael_jd) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.actrix.gen.nz:

What about it? You think any of that is going to protect you from malware if it reaches that machine and can execute? The buck stops with the O/S and not Sygate and it doesn't stop anywhere else. You should use the proper tools and look for yourself from time to time and don't depend upon Sygste to tell you what is happening, because malware can circumvent and defeat the solution.

Long version

formatting link
version

Short version

formatting link
You should try to secure the O/S for a machine that has a direct connection to the Internet as much as possible. There is a link for Win

2K too. If you're using Win 9'x or ME, you are out of luck.

formatting link

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Don't tell me about IDS I know all there is to know about an IDS application. And the IDS that Sygate uses is only a signature based IDS solution the last time I looked as opposed to the Blackise solution that uses siganture and protocol analysis coupled to its packet filter FW.

formatting link

Yeah OK whatever and every last bit of it can be beaten if the conditions are right. Anything that runs with the O/S can be beaten. If you think otherwise, that's your problem.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

OKAY DOKEY you're on a dial-up and you think that just because you're on a dial-up and you click last that little old Sygate cannot be circumvneted and defeated -- OKAY DOKEY sport. Sygate is bullit proof in your eyes. I am no fool I see that. :) You don't know anything else but you're right about that Sygate or a PFW solution in how well it protects.

Hey, I got some swamp land in Mississippi you just might be willing to buy.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane, I just don't understand why you get so upset when I try to help someone set up their software firewall. Never have I said a firewall could not be bypassed or circumbented by malware. Nothing in this world is perfect. Computers are the most imperfect things that I can think of. The most perfect thing I know of is a big block of granite--sometimes used as a headstone. It will just set there for a couple of humdred years without any "issues" or problems--as long as the vandals stay away. How much do you want for that swamp land? Casey

Reply to
Casey Klc

Who said I was upset? Oh, you must mean the OKAY DOKEY. Well I use capitalized words for emphasis at times. If I was pissed, you would know it for sure.:) But on the other hand, you got the ordasity to tell me that me telling the OP to not use Sygate or any PFW solution like a crutch is *nonsense*? That I will challenge you on every time

And about the granite, time coupled with Mother Nature or a Human Being will take it out -- it has issues.

About the swamp land, how much do you have? I can get some good deals for you down there on the Gulf Coast too.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.