Kerio Gone Crazy, Had to Uninstall

I have been using Kerio Personal Firewall for quite some time. Many times I have been forced to uninstall and reinstall the application due to unknown problems, but this latest one is a real winner. Put simply, if KPF is enabled, NO network activity works. There is nothing in the configuration which could explain this. I removed all networks and application records, but it still would not work. The only way to get any communication through is to disable KPF. Then everything works fine.

Have they decided to just sabotage the free version once in a while so that people might resort to paying for the pro version just to get support on the product? If so, it hasn't worked on me. I have removed it. I think this will be the last chance I give the software. I realize it is free and therefore I should not expect the utmost in quality or support, but for it to simply cease functioning from time to time with no explanation as to why, and no significant changes made to the system to explain it, I just don't have any faith in the software anymore. It makes me suspect that it is being crippled as a "buying incentive" but for me this is only incentive to look for a better product.

Anyone else with similar experience? If not, can anyone recommend something? I need to protect incoming AND outgoing connection attempts. I don't really need any of the other features, just connection detection and prevention.

TIA

-Atreju

Reply to
Atreju
Loading thread data ...

*sigh*

And you don't understand, why protecting against "outgoing attempts" is useless, do you?

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

*Sigh* My reasoning is that if I don't want a piece of software accessing either local or internet destinations, I want to have the ability to prevent it from doing so. I am referring not only to spyware, but even legitimate software that I have installed. It should be my decision.

But please, enlighten me - why is it "useless," as you say?

---Atreju---

Reply to
Atreju

There is an easy solution for your problem: just don't install such a piece of software.

It is. Just configure your legitimate software.

Because it's not possible to prevent tunneling, already not in theory. Please read the postings here about tunneling.

You could use an usenet archive like Google groups, for example, to do your inquiries.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

So if you don't want to get into a car accident, don't buy a car, right? If you don't want to argue with your wife, then don't get married? Etc? What a silly reasoning. I may very well want the software, but not want it to access the Internet.

Not always possible, depending on what the developer has had the foresight to include, or what he may even want to do without your permission.

So if you're not able to prevent 100% of all possible unwanted activities, oh well then just don't bother trying to prevent any?

Or you could try actually addressing my question - by suggesting alternatives to Kerio, or suggesting known solutions to my problem.

All I've seen so far is you telling me that what I want is not what you want, and therefore I shouldn't want it.

I do thank you for the replies, and information is always useful, but you've simply not addressed my question.

---Atreju---

Reply to
Atreju

Then just configure it.

Then this is not a security question.

Please read the name of the group you're posting into. There is a "security" in it. This does not mean, that questions like "how do I configure my trashy software programs?" are on-topic.

Yours, VB.

Reply to
Volker Birk

SNIP

Forget I asked. Thanks anyway.

---Atreju---

Reply to
Atreju

What you want isn't hard to find. If Kerio 4 isn't working, just use any one of the numerous others like it. Sygate, ZoneAlarm, Outpost, there are many. Even Kerio 2 might work for you. They all have your outbound control for the most part. Just pick a few and try 'em..

Reply to
Kerodo

Thanks. I will look into Outpost. As for the other two, ZoneAlarm only has about 10,000 bugs, and Sygate crashed the first time I ever tried it. It was a while ago so maybe there's been improvements.

Thanks again.

---Atreju---

Reply to
Atreju

I've had no problems with Kerio 4 (but have a subscription) so maybe the 'free' version just expired. Don't mind Volker, he just has his needle stuck in the groove.

Reply to
Alan Illeman

(snip)

(snip)

Is this the new version of Kerio that Sunbelt now owns? Kerio/Tiny used to be my main software firewall (I also use Smoothwall, but that's not really good for outbound), but I abandoned it for Sygate. I have some issues with Sygate now, and I've been trying the new Kerio. It's quite slick, not at all how I remember the very spartan (but effective) Tiny.

Anyway, I didn't have problems with the new version of Kerio, so something else must be going on with your configuration. And have you considered Sygate? (The pre-Symantec version.)

manny

Reply to
manny

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.