Netscape 8 phoning home through Kerio

I've been setting up a new internet machine after my old one died.

Anyway, I was using NS7, but was trying the latest NS8 version. It has settings for checking for updates, but curiously the only choices are "notify" or "automatic", no "disable".

I use Kerio 4.0 as my firewall, and since this is a new setup, it was still learning the rules and had a lot of warnings popping up. No biggy.

But one thing I noticed was NS8 talking to 64.236.44.38 a lot. Turned out, after googling on it, that this is the updates site.

Well, I made a rule in Kerio to block that IP for any application and any protocol. But NS8 was still able to get through.

Well, I've dumped NS8 and am now using Firefox, which still allows one to totally disable update checking.

But I'm still curious how NS8 was still getting through the firewall.

Any thoughts?

Brian

Reply to
Skywise
Loading thread data ...

Can you create a rule for logging this port (with kerio 2.1.4, it was possible)? What logs kerio now?

formatting link
?

U wrote the right solution above. Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Ewert

How about just disabling the automatic updates instead?

Well, sure. You allowed your browser through after all, didn't you?

cu

59cobalt
Reply to
Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers

Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

But you can't. That's the problem. You can choose "notify me of updates", or "automatically install updates". There is no choice to "do not look for updates". It will always look for updates.

Well, I found my problem. Yes, there was a rule to let NS8 through, and it was being seen before my rule to block that IP address, so of course, it made it through. Once I put the IP rule further up the chain it worked.

But I'm sticking with Firefox anyway. They idea that they won't allow you to stop NS from phoning home is an invasion of privacy. Too bad, I'd been using NS for over ten years. F'ing AOL'ers, anyway. :)

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

You sure the IP didn't change on you? It could have been some kind of mis-configuration of the rules. But if it's was the same IP, then you might want to consider just how effective the PFW is at stopping traffic.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Skywise wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

I am not familiar with Kiero 4, just 2.5. However with Kerio 2.5 the order the rules listed and executed can affect how they behave. If your NS8 update blocking rule is toward the bottom of the list, you might consider moving it up toward the top of the list. Another rule which is being executed first, might be "Overriding" your NS8 rule. I don't know if this is the case, but it might be worth trying out.

Reply to
Bot The Farm

Bot The Farm wrote in news:Xns9792CCCC0DEB4fakeemailcom@

24.70.95.211:

Thanks for the suggestion. I already figured out that was the case. But it's a moot point now anyway as I've decided to go with Firefox. The idea that a company makes their software so you cannot turn off "phoning home" is reason enough not to use it. Too bad too. I *was* a loyal Netscape browser user.

Brian

Reply to
Skywise

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.