S.O.S

Hi guys,

Can I upgrade the aironet ap 1231G (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) into a LWAP to work with WLC 2106 (AIR-WLC2106-K9)? If not, which LWAP would be good for this WLC? e.g: AIR-LAP1231G-A-K9

Regards, Andy.

Reply to
Andy
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Q. What are the AP models that can run Lightweight AP Protocol (LWAPP)?

A. These AP platforms can run LWAPP:

• Cisco Aironet 1500 Series * Cisco Aironet 1240 AG Series * Cisco Aironet 1230 AG Series * Cisco Aironet 1200 Series * Cisco Aironet 1130 AG Series * Cisco Aironet 1000 Series

Note: The Cisco Aironet APs listed can be ordered with Cisco IOS Software to operate as an autonomous AP or with LWAPP. The part number decides if the AP is an IOS-based AP or an LWAPP-based AP. For example, AIR-AP1242AG-A-K9 is an IOS-based AP, whereas AIR-LAP1242AG-P-K9 is an LWAPP-based AP. The 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series APs are an exception to this criteria. All the 1000 Series APs and the 1500 Series AP support only LWAPP.

Kyle

Andy wrote:

Reply to
Kyle Evans

Hi Kyle,

Ok, what confuses me is the following:

Does my AP (AIR-AP1231G-A-K9) fall under the 1200 series? and do not the 1230AG, and 1240AG fall under the 1200 series as well. So is it upgradable or not?

Regards, Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I agree that it is confusing. I believe that your AP is upgradeable, but you'll probably have to talk to a cisco rep to be absolutely sure.

Kyle

Reply to
Kyle Evans

Hi Kyle,

This was the response from a Cisco (Ask the Expert)

Fred

1200 series APs that contain the 802.11g radio (not the older .11b radio) can be upgraded simply by loading new firmware to work in a unified (LWAPP) mode. If the 1200 series AP has a 5 GHz radio (it must also be one of the newer radios (white serpentine stripe or support external antenna connectors). The older black stripe (serpentine) 5 GHz radio and/or the older 802.11b only radio is not supported within the unified (LWAPP) code.

Given your unit has an 802.11g radio I see no issues or problem with upgrading it to unified.

Regards, Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.