Wireless setup

Hi All,

I have to set up wireless access to a local area network for about 20+ users.

Could someone point me in the direction of the sort of hardware i would need.

I was thinking about Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 and a couple of Cisco Aironet 1100's.

Do you think this would be a good solution and is the Aironet 1100 compatible with the Cisco AIR-WLC2006-K9 .

Apologies if my questions are foolish, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys and girls.

Andrew

Reply to
tweety
Loading thread data ...

tweety schrieb:

Any thoughts about user authentication?

What about using 1121 or 1131 APs without a WLAN controller using the IOS version of the APs? If your WLAN becomes larger, the IOS APs can be converted to LWAPP.

If you have to change the WLAN configuration often for many APs you'll find pushing the config through a controller a smart solution. The WLC is a single point of failure and the configuration is even more complex than a single standalone AP.

Reply to
Uli Link

Hi Thanks for the reply, it is appreciated, so the hosts connecting wirelessly, will their dhcp requests be forwarded across the AP towards the doamin controller/dhcp server, the hosts will connecting wirelessly will be in the same domain ip subnet as the AP address?

Thanks for any information and help.

Andrew

Reply to
tweety

tweety schrieb:

WLAN APs are usually transparent bridges. You map a SSID on the wireless side to a VLAN on the wired side. Same for standalone APs compared to LWAP/WLC solution.

The port configuration of the switchports connecting to the APs differ: You may need trunk ports for standalone APs.

LWAPP APs only need accessports on a VLAN routed to the AP Manager logical interface of the WLC. The bridging (layer2!!!) is done on the WLC physical management port to the SSID's mapped logical interface VLAN.

Reply to
Uli Link

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.