Reflashing old aironet lmc352 boot block

Hi,

We use Aironet 350 series wireless cards (AIR-LMC352) for our embedded device running Windows CE 3.1. Unfortunately, finding these cards these days is difficult, due to the cards being very old.

We made the mistake of ordering 20 or so cards from ebay without realizing that we were purchasing cards with a different boot block version. What we need is "v1.50" and what we got was "v1.50/ISA", which I presume means that these cards were pulled from ISA cards. They lock up our CE devices until removed.

Does anyone know if there is some means to flash the boot blocks on these cards?

Secondarily, if you are interested in purchasing these cards let me know! They do work in certain laptops, albeit with a delay before being recognized.

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
sdavison
Loading thread data ...

Suggest yu contact the ebay seller as LMC-352 with a boot block of V.

150/ISA hav bennt aken froma PCI card or were replacement for same.

Not meant to be used as a PCMCIA card which is probably what you thought you were purchasing.

The seller may not have realized this fact.

Reply to
Merv

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb:

the MS-DOS firmware flash utility knows some flags and I could revitalize some dead before cards. The DOS utilities are still available for download.

Reply to
Uli Link

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes: | Hi, | | We use Aironet 350 series wireless cards (AIR-LMC352) for our embedded | device running Windows CE 3.1. Unfortunately, finding these cards | these days is difficult, due to the cards being very old. | | We made the mistake of ordering 20 or so cards from ebay without | realizing that we were purchasing cards with a different boot block | version. What we need is "v1.50" and what we got was "v1.50/ISA", | which I presume means that these cards were pulled from ISA cards.

Or pulled from PCI cards--the bootblock is the same.

| They lock up our CE devices until removed. | | Does anyone know if there is some means to flash the boot blocks on | these cards?

It can be done but it is a pain and somewhat risky. I wrote code to reflash the bootblock by manually generating the magic cycles to the flash part. But you have to mount each card in an ISA carrier, run the procedure, mount the next, etc. If anything goes wrong you lose the card. It's not worth it.

| Secondarily, if you are interested in purchasing these cards let me | know! They do work in certain laptops, albeit with a delay before | being recognized.

Moreover, there are people out there who need the /ISA version which (at least at one point) was harder to find than the PCMCIA version. About half the time I get asked about converting *to* the /ISA version. I've tried to get people to simply swap but it never seems to work out. :(

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Thanks for the response, Uli. Do you recall where these DOS utilities can be found?

Simon

Reply to
sdavison

Thanks, Dan. I will probably end up listing the cards for sale (as the ISA version) on Ebay, and continue my search for PCMCIA versions of the AIR-LMC352.

Simon

Reply to
sdavison

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb:

"

formatting link
" You'll need a CCO account for download.

Reply to
Uli Link

This utility comes with no documentation, just an executable that has the following switches:

Cisco Systems, Inc. Radio Flash Utility Ver. 1.41 Flashes Firmware for AMAC Series Radios Usage: FLASH [options] Options: -p[hex #] ;I/O Port Base e.g. 140 -b[type] ;Bus Type PCMCIA, ISA, or PCI ; default is PCMCIA -s# ;Socket 0,1,2...7 (365 mode) -m[hex #] ;Memory Addr (365 mode) e.g. D000 -q ;Quiet Mode, No Messages

This is not something I've dabbled in before, so without somewhat more explicit instructions I don't know where to begin.

I'll gladly pay for it to be done, if someone is willing and able to do it.

Thanks,

Simon

Reply to
sdavison

In article , snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes: | On Jun 28, 2:02 pm, Uli Link | wrote: | > snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com schrieb: | >

| > > Thanks for the response, Uli. Do you recall where these DOS utilities | > > can be found? | >

| > "

formatting link
"| >

| > You'll need a CCO account for download. | >

| > -- | > Uli | | This utility comes with no documentation, just an executable that has | the following switches: | | Cisco Systems, Inc. Radio Flash Utility Ver. 1.41 | Flashes Firmware for AMAC Series Radios | Usage: FLASH [options] | Options: -p[hex #] ;I/O Port Base e.g. 140 | -b[type] ;Bus Type PCMCIA, ISA, or PCI | ; default is PCMCIA | -s# ;Socket 0,1,2...7 (365 mode) | -m[hex #] ;Memory Addr (365 mode) e.g. D000 | -q ;Quiet Mode, No Messages | | This is not something I've dabbled in before, so without somewhat more | explicit instructions I don't know where to begin.

As far as I know, that utility cannot be used to directly reflash the boot block. There was once a firmware image that you could load with that (or any other) flash loader which would in turn reflash the boot block, but it did not work on anything newer than the 4800.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

I have reflashed the firmware already and the boot block did not change.

Dan, I will sell these units as you suggested earlier in this thread.

Thanks all!

Simon

Reply to
sdavison

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.