ip phone and message waiting indicator

cisco 2561XM router IOS: c2600-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T8.bin

7940G ip phones all running on firmware P00308000400

I'm running a few 7940G ip phones on this router including a sip trunk for outgoing pstn calls. I'm not using any extra software like cisco unified stuff, it's just the IOS that does everything. I can't work out the message waiting indicator function. When there's a message waiting in my sip voicemail I should get a notification on my phone, but I don't know what form it takes. Is it the light on the handset? or is it an icon on the phone display? does the mwi method depend on the software that's running the phones? Yesterday I saw a new phone-like symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the 7940G display but I couldn't work out what it meant despite trawling google. The symbol was shaped like an 'r'. (I would normally have provided a link to a picture of it but my camera's broken down) I can dial and pick up my voicemail messages no problem. I found a few mwi config examples on google but I haven't been able to make the mwi work. thanks for any advice.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

Red light on the top of the handset.

Reply to
Trendkill

Red light on the top of the handset.

is that the way all the time?

Reply to
tg

I've run 79xx series phones on call manager, asterisk, etc, and they all use the red slit light on the handset to notify of voice mail. I think its a safe assumption that it should work the same way on CME or via your configuration. Sounds to me like the phone is not being notified of the voice mail, but when you check (i.e. call VM) it tells you what you have or don't have.

Reply to
Trendkill

Oh and to answer the other question, provided its a cisco image (SIP or otherwise), I would think it should work. May have to edit some of the files that are uploaded to the phone or served on the tftp server. I'm not a voip expert, but given you have all cisco gear, this should definitely be possible/working.

Reply to
Trendkill

Comes on solid when you have VM waiting.

Reply to
alexd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.