cisco 7940G phone and Protocol Application Invalid

I'm an absolute beginner with a cisco 7940G phone: display says 'Protocol Application Invalid'.

I bought this phone off ebay so I could learn about IP phones, (it arrived only this morning) but google shows this is also called a 'bricked' phone. I don't know where to start with this problem. I have a cisco router and I'm familiar with that using hyperterminal but I don't know how to track down the ip address inside this phone, it has no console port. I'm also familar with tftp (I use tftfd32) but again I don't know how to find the ip address of the phone or some point to start at. I've trawled numerous cisco docs and other stuff on google but I'm stuck. I did a factory reset of the phone that proceeded correctly (powered up while holding the # key in) but then the Protocol Application Invalid message came back. None of the buttons on the phone produce any response. Thanks for any pointers.

Reply to
tg
Loading thread data ...

First, here is a link to describe the problem, which is most likely a subnet/IP mismatch and inability to get to its image or boot file:

formatting link
What is your VoIP server going to be?

If we are talking asterisk or trixbox, you will need to install a SIP image, get the necessary boot/config files on a tftp server, make sure you match the mac and username/passwords appropriately. The phone needs to boot, get an IP and tftp address (or you need to configure manually by unlocking the phone (pass should be cisco123 i think), and setting IP and tftp manually), and get to the config files that tell it what server to communicate with. The process is similar with CM or CM Express, although the config on the server is different.

Reply to
Trendkill

First, here is a link to describe the problem, which is most likely a subnet/IP mismatch and inability to get to its image or boot file:

formatting link

thanks for your response but I'd already seen the above doc before posting. This doc is confusing because when it gets to the workaround section there's no such thing on my pc as Start > Programs >

Administrative Tools > DHCP. I'm back where I started.

And I know about having to install a SIP image, but I can't do any of that until I first clear this PAI problem.

Reply to
tg

Well,

2 things:

1. You PC does not have the Windows Server Admin pak loaded on it, otherwise you would have that option.

2. You would not want to change DHCP settings on your PC, but the DHCP server in your network.
Reply to
Artie Lange

What subnet is this device plugging into? Does that device provide DHCP? Is the phone configured with a static IP? Does the static IP match the subnet that is configured on the switch? The advice in that article presumes you are running a windows server which is provided DHCP, I'm guessing you are using a router or something else. This sounds like a basic network mismatch to me.

Reply to
Trendkill

should I get this server pack?

the DHCP server on my network is a cisco 2651XM router. PC's on the network pick up IP addresses given out by the router but I don't know how to ascertain if the phone is doing that, or if it has a fixed ip address inside it. Is there a default IP in the phone after a factory reset? The 'protocol application invalid' message seems to lock the phone out completely.

Reply to
tg
172.16.1.xx 2550 255.0.0

yes it's a cisco router set as the DHCP server

dunno, that's what I can't find out

dunno, I haven't been able to ascertain the phone's IP, if it has one

I agree, but I need to get some kind of start point established with the phone. This is the whole problem I'm having. I don't klnow what the IP address of the phone is. There must be a way to find out but I don't know what that is.

Reply to
tg

I had a breakthrough, I found the phone's ip address. so now I know that, I next need to clear up this 'Protocol Application Invalid' thing.

Reply to
tg

You will need the SIP image for the phone too:- The default image will most likely only support SCCP.

formatting link
"Step 1 Go to the following URL:

formatting link
Step 2 To download the firmware for the Cisco Unified IP Phone

7960G and 7940G (SIP), select the following file and follow the prompts:

P0S3-08-9-00.cop

Note The following files are automatically installed when you run the P0S3-08-9-00.cop file: P0S3-08-9-00.loads, P003-08-9-00.sbn, P0S3-08-9-00.sb2, and P003-08-9-00.bin."

This seems to require a login.

Reply to
bod43

thanks for your response. I managed to get further progress with the phone by plugging it into my router port and setting the port up with the following commands: ip dhcp pool test network 10.10.1.0 255.255.255.0 option 150 ip 10.10.1.2 default-router 10.10.1.1 dns-server 10.10.1.10

the Protocol Application Invalid message has no gone but it's replaced with 'TFTP timeout' and the phone is still bricked. Obviously the phone is trying to download via TFTP but I can't TFTP the phone at all. My TFTP server (pumpkin v2.7) just keeps failing. None of the buttons on the phone do anything, they appear to be dead. From what I can gather the phone's ip is 10.10.1.1, but how do I ascertain what address the phone is calling to for TFTP? I tried running wireshark to see the ip activity but nothing is coming from the phone. When I first turn the phone on I get 'Configuring VLAN', then I get 'Requesting Configuration' and then I get 'TFTP timeout'.

Reply to
tg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.